Calibrating a Microphone

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TygerTung
Established Member

Calibrating a Microphone

Post by TygerTung »

I have these dynamic microphones, AudioTechnica AT9100, but they sound pretty dull.

I was wondering if I could calibrate them by generating some white noise in Audacity, playing that through a speaker. pointing the microphone at the speaker and then running the mic through an EQ in JACK, and then sending that though a spectrum analyser and then tweaking the EQ settings until the spectrum analyser looks flat?

Is there a program which would do this automatically?

Is this a normal sort of thing to do, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,

Sam
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: Calibrating a Microphone

Post by CrocoDuck »

Hi!

I am not sure if there are more automatic ways to do this, but you might be interested in this tutorial I published some time ago: viewtopic.php?t=17759. Not exactly the same stuff, but it could give you some idea, especially the Room Response and Compensation EQs section.

As for software, look into REW. It is for room response compensation but I guess it can work also in your case. You will be able to use the EQ parameters it generates with LSP Plugins Para Equalizers (and perhaps also other EQs).
TygerTung
Established Member

Re: Calibrating a Microphone

Post by TygerTung »

Hi thanks for that,

I'll give it a go.

Cheers,

Sam