Waves Plugins INnstall Fail

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

matyas
Established Member

Waves Plugins INnstall Fail

Post by matyas »

I've been trying to install Waves plugins using the instructions on this website: https://blog.inagaki.in/en/linux-waves-plugins-en/ I followed the instructions closely, installed necessary dlls and set up overrides and environment variables as described on the page. I also installed robocopy as per the instructions.

Waves Central has installed successfully and I was able to transfer the licenses from the cloud to my Linux computer. The actual plugin install starts out looking as if it will succeed, but at some point in the process, it inevitably fails with an error that says "Sorry. An error has occurred during installation - Installing."

I checked the instructions posted on the site above and on the final post in this thread (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2173995), and everything seems to be in order, so I can't figure out why this isn't working.

Ubuntu 18.04 with Ubuntu Studio and kxstudio repositories, latest wine-staging..
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Re: Waves Plugins INnstall Fail

Post by ubuntuuser »

That might be a robocopy error.

Try installing robocopy again and make sure the mfc42 etc dll overrides are in syswow64 and that the reg import entries have been done (use regedit and have a look)
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

Okay, I checked to make sure that all of the overrides were correct and the necessary dlls were in the correct directories. They were. Robocopy was installed via rktools, but I uninstalled it and reinstalled for good measure. I checked to make sure that the envorinment variables were correctly set in regedit, and everything looked right. Still no luck.

Just to be clear, the environment variables are strings set under the Environment key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, correct?
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

matyas wrote:Okay, I checked to make sure that all of the overrides were correct and the necessary dlls were in the correct directories. They were. Robocopy was installed via rktools, but I uninstalled it and reinstalled for good measure. I checked to make sure that the envorinment variables were correctly set in regedit, and everything looked right. Still no luck.

Just to be clear, the environment variables are strings set under the Environment key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, correct?
I've only had Waves Central running with Debian or Debian based distros like MX Linux.

It might even depend on the kernel and Wine, as I've heard of someone changing the kernel on a distro and then Waves Central ran ok.

There is the Liquorix kernel for Ubuntu.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment]
"COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86)"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files"
"PROGRAMFILES(X86)"="C:\\Program Files (x86)"
"PUBLIC"="C:\\users\\Public"
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

Kernel incompatibilities doesn't make sense intuitively, but who knows. I did try deleting the registry entries, pasting the text from above in a new .reg file, and importing into regedit. I then reinstalled Waves Central and attempted to install some plugins, and that also failed.I think I'm going to table this project for a bit unless anyone has any other possible suggestions.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

matyas wrote:Kernel incompatibilities doesn't make sense intuitively, but who knows. I did try deleting the registry entries, pasting the text from above in a new .reg file, and importing into regedit. I then reinstalled Waves Central and attempted to install some plugins, and that also failed.I think I'm going to table this project for a bit unless anyone has any other possible suggestions.
I think that the 3 things that are likely to cause problems are robocopy and the reg entries and maybe the crypt libraries.

robocopy can be tested by just entering robocopy in a terminal and looking at the output.

Waves Central will give up if it can't connect to robocopy or if the reg entries are not there or not right.

I usually install winbind.
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

Typed wine robocopy in a terminal window. Robocopy started up and didn't throw any unexpected errors, just instructions on usage because I didn't supply any arguments. Confirmed that winbind was installed. I don't know if this is possibly something with my version of wine? I've got version 4.15-bionic of wine-staging.
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

I have the following overrides listed in wineconfig:

d2d1
ierutil
mfc140
mfc42
mfc42u
nsi

All are native, builtin.

I do have Windows 10 installed on another hard drive on this machine. Would it make sense to use Windows dlls? I have no experience with that.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

matyas wrote:I have the following overrides listed in wineconfig:

d2d1
ierutil
mfc140
mfc42
mfc42u
nsi

All are native, builtin.

I do have Windows 10 installed on another hard drive on this machine. Would it make sense to use Windows dlls? I have no experience with that.
The problem is due to recent Wine Staging changes.

Roll back to a previous version until it gets fixed.

One way to do this is by

Download wine-4.11-staging-improved-amd64.tar.xz from the Wine 4.11 section at https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases

unarchive wine-4.11-staging-improved-amd64.tar.xz in the Downloads folder

run this script (do a chmod +x on it and then enter it's path in a Terminal)
link-script.txt
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
run winecfg to update

To return to the original wine staging links run
link-scriptorg.txt
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

ubuntuuser wrote: The problem is due to recent Wine Staging changes.
]
SUCCESS!!! Thanks, ubuntuuser! I installed 4.11 following your instructions and Waves Central successfully installed a plugin. Now, to see if we can get it working in a Linux host using LinVist.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

matyas wrote:
ubuntuuser wrote: The problem is due to recent Wine Staging changes.
]
SUCCESS!!! Thanks, ubuntuuser! I installed 4.11 following your instructions and Waves Central successfully installed a plugin. Now, to see if we can get it working in a Linux host using LinVist.

There is also another (probably better) way.

The current Wine has a cmd.exe bug which makes Waves Central stop working.

It can be worked around by using winetricks.

winetricks cmd

This works with the current Wine Staging and probably future versions.

If you run link-scriptorg.txt (to put the links back to the current wine staging) and then run winecfg (to update the wineprefix) and then run winetricks cmd, then Waves Central should be ok with the current wine staging and future versions.

It's probably a good idea to put your licenses back to the cloud before doing it.
TheYke
Established Member

Post by TheYke »

Hi there, i'm new to the Forums.
Sorry for bumping this one but I run into problems running wave central on wine-staging in manjaro.
I basically managed to install it but if I try to run it an error occurs regarding waves central got no access to powershell.
It's basically this error:

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php? ... e6dff69f28

As my IK Multimedia stuff runs flawlessly I'm just curious if waves could work for me, too.

Any ideas? 8) thanks in advance
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

TheYke wrote:Hi there, i'm new to the Forums.
Sorry for bumping this one but I run into problems running wave central on wine-staging in manjaro.
I basically managed to install it but if I try to run it an error occurs regarding waves central got no access to powershell.
It's basically this error:

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php? ... e6dff69f28

As my IK Multimedia stuff runs flawlessly I'm just curious if waves could work for me, too.

Any ideas? 8) thanks in advance
Waves Central has moved to using Powershell and Windows Powershell doesn't seem to work in a total way under Wine.
TheYke
Established Member

Post by TheYke »

OK good to know, thanks for the reply.
Codesound
Established Member

Post by Codesound »

ubuntuuser wrote:
matyas wrote:I have the following overrides listed in wineconfig:

d2d1
ierutil
mfc140
mfc42
mfc42u
nsi

All are native, builtin.

The problem is due to recent Wine Staging changes.

Roll back to a previous version until it gets fixed.

One way to do this is by

Download wine-4.11-staging-improved-amd64.tar.xz from the Wine 4.11 section at https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases

unarchive wine-4.11-staging-improved-amd64.tar.xz in the Downloads folder

run this script (do a chmod +x on it and then enter it's path in a Terminal)
link-script.txt
run winecfg to update

To return to the original wine staging links run
link-scriptorg.txt
Now I try also to this way.... Thanks for now..... I hope works!!!
PS: I believe that I need to uninstall the last version of wine that is installed on my pc before to install the 4.11..... right?