Do you want more people to use Linux for music?

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Do you want more people to use Linux for music?

Yes
68%
No
No votes
Other
32%

Total votes: 22

merlyn
Established Member

Re: Do you want more people to use Linux for music?

Postby merlyn » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Thanks for all the thoughtful and interesting replies.

muzikermammoth

Postby muzikermammoth » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 am

The reason is pretty nuanced:

The hurdles required to get to using linux as a main method for producing music, necessarily means the person is conversant with a few of the tools as well as the audio aspect of things, and well, it is a lot better now for multimedia production than say in the early 2000s and it is definitely better than windows in 2000-2008. As much as i hate to use a signifier like using linux as a proxy for a certain level of competence, i'd say if you're able to think your way through jack,pulse,sfz,build tools, etc. then it's pretty likely you'd have a particular view about music and it's constituent parts.

This is especially true, if you're interested in building new modes of interaction with music and audio.

So yes i'd like more people to use linux, but no i don't think it is for everyone.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm

milo wrote:My main reason for voting Yes in the poll is that I want to have a community full of interesting people that I can learn from, making interesting music, developing and refining tools that I can use. The actual market share of the platform is incidental to me, as long as the Linux world remains vibrant, open, and fun.

Exact same reason that I voted "Yes". I'm selfish: I want to learn from others because I don't know a lot 'bout making music. So even a Windows user can learn me a whole lot 'bout DAW's and producing music on a computer. :wink:

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:42 pm

merlyn wrote:For the number of Linux users to increase we have to 'turn' Windows users. That means making Linux more attractive and accessible to them. Which means more GUIs, less command line.

I disagree. We need to show them that the command line works easier than searching for that one little piece of functionality in a GUI. I love the CLI and am appreciating a GUI less and less. Couldn't do without it though...

jonetsu
Established Member

Postby jonetsu » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:19 pm

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I disagree. We need to show them that the command line works easier than searching for that one little piece of functionality in a GUI. I love the CLI and am appreciating a GUI less and less. Couldn't do without it though...

Especially in the context of configuring and maintaining a system and how that configuration can be kept inside simple regular text files, just almost ready to be replayed when needed. As opposed to doing a configuration entirely based on pop-up windows and dialog boxes which is most often always a mess to replay, especially with complex configurations.

modusjonens
Established Member

Postby modusjonens » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:07 am

raboof wrote:But what we need to scale is is not more consumers, it's more tinkerers.

Agreed, and well put!

Return to “Music & FOSS Advocacy”