switched distribution and now soundcard won't get recognized

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

kjell159
Established Member

switched distribution and now soundcard won't get recognized

Post by kjell159 »

Hello,
it has been a really long time since I have posted somehting here on the forums...
But I'm back I guess. :)

I have been running Debian for about a year and decided to switch to Fedora recently because I messed up my lv2 plugins.
They won't get found by any host,
I tried a lot of things and asked for help (elsewhere) but it didn't work out so I decided to reinstall 'my' OS.

The problem I'm having is that my USB soundcard: line 6 POD Studio GX,
did work under Debian and derivatives of it but it won't show up in Fedora.
I'm using the Fedora 20 spin 'Fedora Jam' and installed some stuff from CCRMA.

The kernel I'm running on the moment (But I have another.) is 3.12.12-300.rt19.1.fc20.ccrma.x86_64+rt .
I thaught that installing the CCRMA kernel would maybe solve my problem but it didn't.

I also tried installing 'alsa-firmware' but I have no idea what to do with it.
Something like the modprobe command won't work either.
I would try something like 'modprobe line6usb' but that's merely a guess.

The lsusb command gives some sign of it connecting in some way:

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0e41:4153 Line6, Inc. 
So... it won't show up in any sound mixer or in QjackCtl although my MIDI to USB connector: ROLAND UM-ONE does show up and my USB soundcard did work under Debian systems.

I'm guessing it has something to do with alsa modules or something but even after a big year of using linux I'm not yet a pro at all. (If I would be I wouldn't have to ask for help. :D )
And I'm really looking forward to making my computer run on Fedora..
I already like the package manager more than synaptic/apt-get. :?
Of course there are other reasons why I like Fedora more or think I would like it better.
lazyklimm
Established Member

Re: switched distribution and now soundcard won't get recogn

Post by lazyklimm »

I have been running Debian for about a year and decided to switch to Fedora recently because I messed up my lv2 plugins.
They won't get found by any host,
I use debian, no problem at all
I already like the package manager more than synaptic/apt-get.
O_o are you kidding?
kjell159
Established Member

Post by kjell159 »

No, I'm not making a joke.
I'm also not saying it is better than apt-get/synaptic, I just find for myself that it acts more the way I want.
Somehow I always ran into dependency problems with synaptic.
Of course using it a half week won't say much, so I at least want to try making Fedora work as a D.A.W. and then see if I still like it better.
I like wearing hats, maybe it has something to do with it. (A 'fedora' is a kind of hat.) :P
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

Somehow I always ran into dependency problems with synaptic.
Apt/dpkg dependencies are much more flexible, there are 3 kinds of: Suggests, Recommends and Depends, yum/rpm has only hard ones. It's good and bad at the same time :), as for me - I prefer flexibility. Also Debian/Ubuntu family is more popular and has more packages available.
Of course using it a half week won't say much
I use virtual centos machine everyday in my job, and I really dislike it - there's no flexible deps, no "alternatives" system(well, there is, but ...), no update-smth scripts, no /etc/defaults etc, etc, etc.
A 'fedora' is a kind of hat.
I know :)
at least want to try making Fedora work as a D.A.W. and then see if I still like it better.
ok, then good luck :)
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Making Fedora a DAW isn't a good idea at all. It barely has packages necessary for real work. I suggest you to use KXStudio or ArchLinux instead since they provide software you need.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
kjell159
Established Member

Post by kjell159 »

The last time I installed the KXStudio repos my CUPS package got messed up what ended in not being able to print anything and my LV2 plugins wouldn't show up anywhere.
Of course KXStudio has an own distribution but it is Ubuntu based and I like to look further than Ubuntu.
I have used Ubuntu before and it may be user-friendly and stuff.
It doesn't serve my needs.
I already installed and configured everything again (when I was using Tango Studio - = Debian-) because I screwed it before the installation I had before my Fedora installation. (Keep following... :) )
It still ended in half of my OS being unusable/hard to fix and that is the reason why I tried Fedora.
But I can still try,
it's just my driver (line6usb) that I'm not able to compile and even now I have it in my /usr/lib/modules/... I cannot start it with the modprobe command.
I'm not looking into backing everything up again. :?
Also I was looking into a new interface (I have this one jack input and one mini jack output box for almost 2 years now and it doesn't even has a built in preamp or anything, its sole purpose is a guitar/bass card actually. If I want to record with my SM58 I have to first connect it to a little mixer I got for free -It has only one jack input, one jack headphone output, 4 RCA inputs from which you can only use 2 at once and 1 RCA output, it is kind of a little DJ mixer but as far served my purposes.- and then connect the headphone output of that with an instrument cable into the interface. :mrgreen: )
and I will if I'm going to buy one look into a properly interface that is easy to handle with Linux.
I was looking into the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (The 2i2 isn't right enough because I definitely need the PAD switches so I can connect higher outputs from sources like amps and keyboard.) and I read the other thread that CrocoDuck http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12660 wrote and that made me thinker again but I think this one will do it, also I'm probably not going to use the phantom power so it must work. The MAudio boxes are a little outdated already and I need something that is also portable and can withstand a little.
If it won't work out I will take a look back into Debian/based or maybe Gentoo.
But I'm a little skeptical about ArchLinux, dont get me wrong I believe it is an awesome system from what I have heard about it but I never used it before and I don't know what to expect with it.
Before I installed this Fedora distro I already had some experience with YUM.
since they provide software you need.
Fedora on its own already has a lot of audio applications and the CCRMA repos fulfill it nicely.

Dual-booting won't work out either.
If I have to I will back up again but first try...

Thanks for the Arch idea though.
I'll at least look into it a little. :)
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

kjell159 wrote:The last time I installed the KXStudio repos my CUPS package got messed up what ended in not being able to print anything and my LV2 plugins wouldn't show up anywhere.
How did you do that? KXStudio is rock solid, one should be very talented to break it that easy.
kjell159 wrote:I was looking into the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (The 2i2 isn't right enough because I definitely need the PAD switches so I can connect higher outputs from sources like amps and keyboard.) and I read the other thread that CrocoDuck http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12660 wrote and that made me thinker again but I think this one will do it, also I'm probably not going to use the phantom power so it must work.
Only one real problem with Focusrite interfaces is its weird behavior with some USB controllers. I personally had this problem and can post a solution here if needed. The case in the post you've given link to is about factory flaw. If the same happens to you, you should change the defective device in a store where you've purchased it. It's a totally hardware problem.
kjell159 wrote:But I'm a little skeptical about ArchLinux
Why? It provides the same freshest software as KXStudio does plus some extra stuff like nice analysis tools. Also, pacman (Arch's package manager) is insanely fast (at least times faster than that yum slowpoke, lol) and easy to use.
kjell159 wrote:I already had some experience with YUM.
That's why I never even pronounce "Fedora" aloud.
kjell159 wrote:
since they provide software you need.
Fedora on its own already has a lot of audio applications and the CCRMA repos fulfill it nicely.
Fedora still barely has any real multimedia stuff. Compared to KXStudio it has nothing but the minimum which won't work for serious production. CCRMA stuff is for science purposes, as I see it.

kjell159
Established Member

Post by kjell159 »

I already got my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 today. (fast delivery)
It worked out of the box -That is the reason why I choose this one-.
My two inputs and all my outputs worked with no problem.
I haven't tested the MIDI function as I already have a MIDI to USB cable and will keep on using that one.
(It cost me about €40 when I bought that cable. :) Actually it's a little interface/converter on its own.)
That cable works 'out of the box' aswell B.T.W. .

I don't see any reason to go fiddle some more now, I rather finally go use my tools to produce something.
I removed pulseaudio (Back months ago when I used Ubuntu I didn't really like it and even now learning it seems to unnecessary when ALSA/JACK is all I really need.) and now flash based sound is able to connect like a JACK-application, you guys/girls probably now about the simple (for me it is hard enough) .asoundrc file you can make.
Only reason why I still may need Pulseaudio is for skype, the people from Microsoft decided (for some reason :? ) to stop ALSA support and only support Pulseaudio.
Why MS, why? Ok, skype isn't open-source etc., it still is a very useful tool.

Maybe I just need to look for an alternative software and for the very first moment try to use an older version of skype, everything except for using pulseaudio, my pulseaudio-jack bridge didn't work at all. (tried to do this with jam-control without good results)

I do need to mention that I installed the KXStudio repos against those of Debian/Tango Studio back then,
it probably just asked for problems.
I didn't use the OS KXStudio.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

kjell159 wrote:Only reason why I still may need Pulseaudio is for skype
kjell159 wrote:my pulseaudio-jack bridge didn't work at all. (tried to do this with jam-control without good results)
You can fix Pulseaudio problem by installing jackdbus. Bridge won't work without this package. Also, there's an awesome article on ArchWiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu ... o/Examples

lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

Only reason why I still may need Pulseaudio is for skype, the people from Microsoft decided (for some reason :? ) to stop ALSA support and only support Pulseaudio.
I just use old version
kjell159
Established Member

Post by kjell159 »

Thanks for the link.