Midi

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Fred

Midi

Post by Fred »

Anyone know how to convert a midi type 1 file to a midi type 0 file?
varpa
Established Member

Re: Midi

Post by varpa »

I don't know anything specific to linux but google reveals a number of windows programs which do this and I'd bet you can find something which runs in wine.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Greetings,

If you've only a few files I can do it for you. I run Voyetra's Sequencer Plus under DOSemu, it'll convert MIDI file types easily.

Best,

dp
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Fred wrote:Anyone know how to convert a midi type 1 file to a midi type 0 file?
you can try these steps on qtractor:

1. on View/Options.../MIDI: Capture / Export: set File format to "SMF Format 0"; hit OK.
2. import your MIDI file (SMF Format 1) into the main session: Track/Import Tracks/MIDI...; browse and open your file (.mid).
3. export the currently loaded main session as MIDI to a MIDI file: Track/Export Tracks/MIDI..., select a brand new MIDI filename (.mid) and select "Master" on Output list; then hit OK.

that's it. the file you produced in step 3 should be a SMF0 version of the original SMF1, hopefully :)

hth.
cheers
gazpacho
Established Member

Post by gazpacho »

For quick command line conversion or scripts I use midifile.rb commands (http://www.goodeveca.net/midifile_rb/). It is a ruby library with some example programs which include:
SMFformat0
Writes out a Format-0 (single-track) midifile from a source Format-1 (multitrack) file.
So the command goes:
SMFformat0 <fmt1-in.mid> <fmt0-out.mid>

Code: Select all

SMFformat0  4SeasonsAutumn.mid   4SeasonsAutumn-format0.mid
It works well with complicated midi files. I needed to install ruby 1.8 to make it work. I put midifile.rb inside:
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/midifile.rb
/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/midifile.rb
and the command line programs inside /home/user/bin/

For simpler files with only one track smfsh works well. Works better to turn from format 0 to format 1.Use it interactively. Has useful functions to do quick edits of a midi file.