studio monitors

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

Re: studio monitors

Post by lilith »

As I still have problems with my third ! pair of Neumanns KH80 i'm going to switch them with the Presonus Eris 5 likely. I wanted to go for the KH120, but the guy in the music store said he would prefer the Eris 5 over the KH120, especially regarding the much lower price. The saved money I'll invest in room treatment and plugins.
Spanner
Established Member

Post by Spanner »

lilith wrote:As I still have problems with my third ! pair of Neumanns KH80 i'm going to switch them with the Presonus Eris 5 likely. I wanted to go for the KH120, but the guy in the music store said he would prefer the Eris 5 over the KH120, especially regarding the much lower price. The saved money I'll invest in room treatment and plugins.
What problems are you having with your "third ! pair of Neumanns KH80"?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Spanner wrote:
lilith wrote:As I still have problems with my third ! pair of Neumanns KH80 i'm going to switch them with the Presonus Eris 5 likely. I wanted to go for the KH120, but the guy in the music store said he would prefer the Eris 5 over the KH120, especially regarding the much lower price. The saved money I'll invest in room treatment and plugins.
What problems are you having with your "third ! pair of Neumanns KH80"?
I send you a message. I assume I just had extremely bad luck or maybe some problems are due to transporting issues.
Spanner
Established Member

Post by Spanner »

This is an update...

The Yamaha HS5 speakers remain an excellent choice for me.

I have since changed location. I have put the studio into a larger room of a more conventional type of building. This building/room is built on the ground, of brick and stick frame construction, with drywall, carpet, ceiling, and peaked, shingled roof.

The new room measures 11 feet by 30 feet. The studio is set up at a far end of the room (11 feet left to right); the speakers are almost against the wall, firing out from the wall into the long dimension of the room. The distance from left to right between the speakers is 6 feet. The listening position is set at the equilateral triangle point, 6 feet from each speaker. There are some windows and a door. At the far end of the 30 foot room is a small kitchen with some appliances and cabinets and windows. I supplement my listening with a pair of Audio-Technicia ATH-M45 headphones from time to time. And I still need to add some more treatment for the walls and ceiling, windows, door, etc..

I got the Yamaha HS5 speakers for a much smaller room. In this new room, I wasn't getting the bass response I expected/wanted. I considered selling the HS5 speakers and getting the HS8 speakers but finding a buyer for them in this remote location would be difficult and shipping would be expensive. I did some experiments and calculations and decided that adding a subwoofer would likely be the most efficient way to go, so I added the Yamaha HS8S subwoofer.

I still need to do some room treatment and room response testing and measurement but I am very happy with the result so far.

johnwinston

Post by johnwinston »

Tried room treatment/plugins for KH80s? Yamaha HS5 also worth considering depending on budget/music style. Happy to offer more specific advice if you share details!

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

lilith wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:03 pm

As I still have problems with my third ! pair of Neumanns KH80 i'm going to switch them with the Presonus Eris 5 likely. I wanted to go for the KH120, but the guy in the music store said he would prefer the Eris 5 over the KH120, especially regarding the much lower price. The saved money I'll invest in room treatment and plugins.

I am happy with my KH120A, the older model. After room treatment I added a KH805 subwoofer.

I read that the KH120's successor is made of plastic and has builtin DSP room correction as the KH80 have. I don't like that because Neumann offers an iOS-app only. No-one wants to buy an iPad or iPhone just to setup his speakers. And after 10 years or so the app is likely to be abandoned. No, thanks.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/