8K is ought to be enough for everybody

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Lyberta
Established Member

8K is ought to be enough for everybody

Post by Lyberta »

We all know that we have come to the limits of the human ear with our audio equipment, what about the limits of the human eye?

So I took to Wikipedia, did some calculations myself (that I can't immediately recall here) and it turns out that for a typical cinema screen or computer monitor that occupies 90 or less degrees of vision, 8k pixel wide image is enough to saturate the human eye. Both eyes combined have about 178 degrees of vision so 16k should be enough for VR.

Now we all love dramas about sample rates. Imagine all the dramas that will start when 16k TVs or 32k VR will become available!
folderol
Established Member

Re: 8K is ought to be enough for everybody

Post by folderol »

Please don't confuse 'need' with 'want'. There are some greedy people out there :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Lyberta wrote:turns out that for a typical cinema screen or computer monitor that occupies 90 or less degrees of vision, 8k pixel wide image is enough to saturate the human eye.

Now we all love dramas about sample rates. Imagine all the dramas that will start when 16k TVs or 32k VR will become available!
Actually this discussion already started when Apple came out with the Retina screens in 2012, e.g. https://psychology.stackexchange.com/qu ... resolution :)
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Just an added point.
Many of the assessments work on the basis of the eye being stationary. It isn't. There are enough micro-movements for the brain to interpolate a much higher resolution than the rod/cone density would suggest - rather like TV interlaced video. Also, like everything else, this ability varies from person to person.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

And as with the ears, the eyes can also be trained to expand the field of vision so to speak. So to speak because what the eyes can see in measured metrics is not necessarily what the brain will react to. So perhaps rather, it is possible to train the brain to make better use of the eyes. Same with the ears. The capability of the ears can be measured although doe sit mean that someone can sing back a single piano note at the exact same pitch ?

The measured capabilities of the body are one thing, but they need the brain to make a good use, if not a better use of.

Cheers.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

falkTX wrote:On 4K, there are details you dont see until you actually come quite close to the screen.
That depends on the size of the screen and the distance from it. If 4K screen occupies less than 45 degrees, then your eyes are maxed out.
folderol wrote:Many of the assessments work on the basis of the eye being stationary.
Sure, for a 360 degree video you'd need 32K. Then you can move your head as much as you want.
folderol wrote:There are enough micro-movements for the brain to interpolate a much higher resolution than the rod/cone density would suggest - rather like TV interlaced video.
Maybe, but you do know that interpolation doesn't add new information? I can train my ears all I want, I won't be be to hear higher than 17kHz (I've tested it).
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

You know, I actually took a ruler and decided to measure my setup. It turns out i am 57 cm away from 60 cm wide screen, this gives (that was a huge surprise to me) 55 degrees horizontally. So 4K monitor with the same size and setup will almost saturate my eyes.