Combined low-/high cut lv2 plugin

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

flappix
Established Member

Combined low-/high cut lv2 plugin

Post by flappix »

Hi,
I'm looking for a LV2 plugin which can act as an low- and a high cut filter simultaneously.
So from its functionality it should act like a band pass filter but I just want to have controls for the low and the high cut off frequency. Maybe also two resonance controls.

Would be very nice if someone knows such a plugin :)
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Combined low-/high cut lv2 plugin

Post by sysrqer »

If you are using ardour there is a built in filter that can do this (if you mean high/low pass). Otherwise there are a few EQ plugin that can do this if you disable/ignore the other bands, LSP eqs, EQ1010, calf, x42.
flappix
Established Member

Post by flappix »

Thanks man.
I didn't see this functionality in the calf equalizer, seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

This ardour plugin was what I had in mind when asking this questions but it's Lua script and I need a LV2 plugin.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

High cut has lots of uses, creative and corrective.
omer666
Established Member

Post by omer666 »

Modern production - or digital, for what it's worth - allows us to have deeper lows and clearer high ends, but at the same time, you need to have tight control over these aspects, or you will end up with a harsh sound (often associated with digital) or with a very heavy low-end, which means less precision and more peaks.

They also need special attention because most undesirable noises happen either in the low or high end. That's where high and low pass become crucial. Cutting just the right amount at the right frequency with the right curve will give you the same tone, but clearer. For example, after 12/13KHz on a heavily distorted guitar recording, you mostly get room noises, which aren't really interesting for the recording. The high-end of the tone is more between 8 and 10KHz IMHO.

You will not only get more room for other tracks, but also get more effective volume from your mix without altering the dynamic range. If it is done correctly, it will not affect the tone in any way. As a matter of fact, more often than not I will high and low-pass the track somewhere between 20-40Hz and 19-20KHz during mastering, and get a more detailed sound in these areas without altering the overall tone.

Having better mics will give you a more detailed sound across the spectrum, but that doesn't mean you will get a great mix without cutting anything.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

42low wrote:i would cut less to no high as possible for clear sound.
Clear sound comes from no competition in a frequency band. Noisy mics cause issues yes, but often you are still choosing between several good sounds and the ones you don't want, just cut them out, otherwise you're just muddying the waters, masking the sounds you want to emphasize most in that register. There are times when a shelf is more appropriate yes, but also many (probably more) where a cut is better.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

There are uses for all the kinds of filters, it's precisely why they exist.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

*sigh*
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!