[SOLVED] What Are Some Good Free File Hosting Sites?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

protozone
Established Member

[SOLVED] What Are Some Good Free File Hosting Sites?

Post by protozone »

Hi, I am wondering what are some good free file hosting websites?

I want to upload some Linux infos that I made (text, images, gifs, sounds) and make them available to the rest of the internet.
I'd rather not use a "git". I am open to other suggestions. Should I try to find blog sites? Thanks. Hmmm

EDIT: SOLVED... going with archive.org thanks!
Last edited by protozone on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilith
Established Member

Re: What Are Some Good Free File Hosting Sites?

Post by lilith »

mega & dropbox

But this is likely not what you want. Why not here in an own thread. You could link e.g. to soundcloud for sounds.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

archive.org
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

protozone wrote:Hi, I am wondering what are some good free file hosting websites?

I want to upload some Linux infos that I made (text, images, gifs, sounds) and make them available to the rest of the internet.
I'd rather not use a "git". I am open to other suggestions. Should I try to find blog sites? Thanks. Hmmm
Sourceforge allow you to do this.
Additional to a repository you get a blog site and webspace to host a website.
Using a git repository for your documents/images could be straight forward for update your stuff, and may allow contributions as well.
On the road again.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Just curious, what's your objection to git? Sure it's mostly used for code collaboration, but it can be used as a general purpose file store. As an added benefit it tracks the history of your files in case you want to go back to a previous revision, or if you accidentally drop some content on the cutting room floor. Yes, git takes a bit of effort to learn, but there are graphical apps that make it easier.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

42low wrote:Curious too. And what's the objection for google/hotmail cloud?
I don't know how much experience you have with this kind of stuff, but you imply you've a lot, so you should know that , for example google will close your drive when the download counter began to tick. Those drives been mean to share files in private, not in the community. As soon the downloads expand, you been forced to pay for your drive, or it will closed.
I wonder that you seems to ain't know that. :shock:
On the road again.
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

Thanks guys. I think archive.org will work nicely. I signed up.

I'm not totally against git, it just that every time I tried to understand the layout as an end user wanting content i got confused. It might be great for programmers, but I'm not a programmer and I don't need versioning controls. When I tried to download files from git sites, I could never just find the instructions right away or any clear links. They were hidden or nested or not explained if they were there. Maybe gits require "cloning"? But nobody anywhere explained to me what that is or how it happens or what the risks are. So even though gits are probably great for others, it's not for me.

I'm not formally against google or hotmail either. I just didn't know your site had a deal with them. I don't know where that is mentioned prior to this thread. Anyhow, I don't use hotmail nor google stuff because of privacy in terms of my own email. I'm not discriminating against them, I just prefer various other email services both payware and free.

Archive.org works out because I've used it as an end user and find it to be not too difficult to get to downloads and the layout isn't great but it's not horrible either. It totally matches the purpose of the project though. Signing up didn't take long either, and I know a friend who uses it I could ask for advice if I need it. It can probably do all the formats I need too, and I don't think it sticks a "front end" on the downloads like DropBox does.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Now I gotta sort through my notes and clean them up before I post anything.
protozone
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] What Are Some Good Free File Hosting Sites?

Post by protozone »

Today was the first day of using archive.org for me. It's working out great! The data isn't likely to evaporate like on some other sites, and the GUI tools for author and end-user are streamlined pretty well. Their modus operandi and philosophy is totally compatible with my goals too: to archive what I learned about how to improve a Linux Distro's DAW functionality according to what I learned elsewhere as well as some of my own techniques. I want to share with the Linux world that helped me too!

If you just want to nab the info before I even format the results, you can peek here: https://archive.org/details/Linux-DAW-Extra-Help

But it's not yet in the righ format, so I think I'll take the advice of somebody above who said to put the info here, at LinuxMusicians. So I'll probably do that, and get some corrections and feedback and comments (about the forum posts), and then put the fixed up results into a PDF file, and a bulk download to include the animated .GIFs and/or some videos or podcasts.
Those will be hosted from the same link above. So it all works out.

I already posted some stuff in the System Configuration section of LinuxMusicians.com, and a little bit on the AV Linux website ( https://bandshed.net ). I will try not to be sloppy about it. So far it's totally in it's infancy.

Cheers :mrgreen: