Ableton Live registration under Wine?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Ableton Live registration under Wine?

Post by glowrak guy »

tavasti wrote:
glowrak guy wrote:The linux version of U-he Hive may be the quintessential EDM choice,

You missed the point totally, thing was 'have hands-on tutorial for making music of desired genre, and get that software running on linux'
reaper edm tutorial youtube ...put those 4 words in google,
Many EDM tutorials. The free TyrellN6 synth has two hours of youtube tutorials,
The point I did not miss, is Ableton doesn't (yet) work in linux for what you desire to do.
And now you know what will.

Reaper demo period is 60 days, no restrictions, after that
further use is based on the honor-system, so while testing/learning, put a dollar
in a coffee can every day for 60 days, and it's yours.
The Linux version of reaper, is available from landoleet.org
Linux Hive is a U-he product, the demo makes some noise periodically.
Cheers
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

glowrak guy wrote: reaper edm tutorial youtube ...put those 4 words in google,
Many EDM tutorials.
I checked few of most promising ones. No, they are not complete edm tutorials for the one who knows music a bit, and does not have any idea how to make EDM. They are tutorials how to make things in Reaper.

Maybe I try to encourage my son to make music with lmms, trying to pick ideas from ableton videos. Let's see how it goes.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

It would be better to look for things like how to make a drum beat, how to make techno bass/leads/pads etc. I don't know why it would have to all be in one video, there can't be a single video showing scales, chords, synth programming, drum programming, sampling, EQ, compression, panning, reverb, mixing, mastering . If your son knows how to do the basic things in one program then making an EDM track is down to imagination. It doesn't sound very fun to have a paint by numbers version of music production, it's almost like downloading midi files and choosing a synth preset to play them.

Making any style is transferable between daws, same principles, you just need to learn how it relates to your daw.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

sysrqer wrote:It would be better to look for things like how to make a drum beat, how to make techno bass/leads/pads etc. I don't know why it would have to all be in one video, there can't be a single video showing scales, chords, synth programming, drum programming, sampling, EQ, compression, panning, reverb, mixing, mastering . If your son knows how to do the basic things in one program then making an EDM track is down to imagination. It doesn't sound very fun to have a paint by numbers version of music production, it's almost like downloading midi files and choosing a synth preset to play them.
And you have seen that your approach works great on teen which is right on edge that it might be possible to intrigue to make some music, instead of just keeping playing playstation and looking on mobile phone? :-) Even mixing own version with pre-made midi files and drum loops would be better option than 'naah, this is too hard'.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

No, but it is an approach I wish I had the luxury of when I was a teenager. I, like a lot of people, learned by twiddling knobs in Reason and listening to stuff I liked, no teacher or youtube. If he is really interested in music then he will get immense joy just from making a basic drum beat for the first time, or messing around with a synth having no idea what he is doing but loving the fact that he can change things and make sounds that respond to his control. It's similar to when you learn guitar, you are elated when you can play your first chord or riff and you enjoy the learning and improvement at each stage. I just think a modular approach to the process would be better than all at once.

Of course, do what you think is best. I was really just referring to the fact that there will be many more videos about how to program a drum beat and how to make a bass line than there will be for how to make an entire song from start to finish.

Lmms isn't a bad idea by the sounds of it, it's self contained, pretty easy to use.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I always get a thrill when making new beats, last night I used
two freewares, Dualism by Ugo, to arpeggiate the late HG Fortune's Drumburst X824
drum synth. By adjusting the bpm, and cycling through the various
arps, kits, and patterns, some great fun is possible without
spending part of the college fund :wink: These are both excellent examples
of quality 32bit synthedit developers, and should work with Reaper in any wine setup.

http://www.ugoaudio.com/index.php/vst-p ... rpeggiator

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... 24&id=1689

The related M-Theory synth isn't exactly choopped liver, for that matter...
Cheers
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

sysrqer wrote:If he is really interested in music then he will get immense joy just from making a basic drum beat for the first time, or messing around with a synth having no idea what he is doing but loving the fact that he can change things and make sounds that respond to his control.
At the moment, he is not that interested, but trying to smoothen path that he might get. But this gets more to raising kids than technology :-)
Technical solutions and available material are only tools for giving possibility to success with suitable way, but at the end of the line everything is matter of personal interests and motivation of younger generation. We'll see.
sysrqer wrote:Lmms isn't a bad idea by the sounds of it, it's self contained, pretty easy to use.
Indeed, and he can already use it, so no problem with it. He got something started on one day, maybe we get progress, maybe not.

nemo

Post by nemo »

Sorry about the necrobump, but I got stuck with the same problem and found out a solution so posting here. Might be helpful for someone in the future. This was not a trial registraton (I got Ableton Live free with a Novation controller). Steps involved:

1. Open Ableton Live
2. Start offline registration
3. Open the offline registration file
4. Go to Able offline registration. https://www.ableton.com/en/account/authorize/offline/ Copy the code from the authorization file. I had to type it in.
5. Click Download. You'll get a file with a .auz extension

I tried dragging and dropping this file, but that didn't work. I tried running

Code: Select all

wine ableton.exe /home/nemo/authorize.auz
but that didn't work either. What finally worked was:

cp ~/authorize.auz ~/.wine/drive_c/authorize.auz
wine  .wine/drive_c/ableton/live/Program/Ableton\ Live\ 10\ Lite.exe "c:\authorize.auz"
With this, wine launched Ableton, which read the file and authorized it correctly.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Nice detective work! Hope it will run smoothe, and prove useful!
The more daws known to work in linux, the better.
Cheers
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Yeah, normal ableton registration works ok.

I have license for 8 lite, and I was able to get it working under wine in my computer, but in another computer with same Ubuntu 18.04, it was working partially. But then son lost interest to making music, so that Ableton was not needed at all.

riglopez666

Post by riglopez666 »

nemo wrote:Sorry about the necrobump, but I got stuck with the same problem and found out a solution so posting here. Might be helpful for someone in the future. This was not a trial registraton (I got Ableton Live free with a Novation controller). Steps involved:

1. Open Ableton Live
2. Start offline registration
3. Open the offline registration file
4. Go to Able offline registration. https://www.ableton.com/en/account/authorize/offline/ Copy the code from the authorization file. I had to type it in.
5. Click Download. You'll get a file with a .auz extension

I tried dragging and dropping this file, but that didn't work. I tried running

wine ableton.exe /home/nemo/authorize.auz
but that didn't work either. What finally worked was:

cp ~/authorize.auz ~/.wine/drive_c/authorize.auz
wine  .wine/drive_c/ableton/live/Program/Ableton\ Live\ 10\ Lite.exe "c:\authorize.auz"
With this, wine launched Ableton, which read the file and authorized it correctly.
I'm not a linux savvy, Can you please specify in the second code which parts have to be replaced with our own directory address? and which is line one and the line two in the code? or is all of it in just one line?

Thanks