Linux support Behringer UMC404HD?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

basstrombone
Established Member

Re: Linux support Behringer UMC404HD?

Post by basstrombone »

Hello all,

Thank you for the quick response. Yes it works flawless with my "Onboard" Laptop Sound Card. It runs just fine in Windows 7... Haven't tested in Mac OS as of yet but I'll.

In short, yes I've just tested again. System runs perfectly with the Onboard. I'll try it with an old Maudio usb interface I have.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

basstrombone wrote:Hello all,

Thank you for the quick response. Yes it works flawless with my "Onboard" Laptop Sound Card. It runs just fine in Windows 7... Haven't tested in Mac OS as of yet but I'll.

In short, yes I've just tested again. System runs perfectly with the Onboard. I'll try it with an old Maudio usb interface I have.
Could you try it w/ Jack and Audacity or Jack/Qtracktor? What kernel do you use? Because the 404HD "needs no driver" but, of course, a kernel module (i.e. a driver) needs to be loaded for it to work. Maybe something broke in the latest kernel...
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

But despite all the adjustments done, seems that the system and the interface are not getting along too well...
Most the time MixBus doesn't run at all... but even when I make it work, I can't record, play anything. Same with Ardour.
You also mention installing the OS again...

Are you sure that you (the user who runs jack, in any case) have realtime and memlock privileges? Typically the user gets said privileges by adding itself to the audio group (it needs rebooting the computer). Those are needed for Linux audio production but you haven't them by defaut in general use distributions. The following informative command will tell if you have them. It should output 95 (or so) and unlimited, instead of something like 0 or 64, if I remember correctly.

ulimit -r -l
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:

Could you try it w/ Jack and Audacity or Jack/Qtracktor? What kernel do you use? Because the 404HD "needs no driver" but, of course, a kernel module (i.e. a driver) needs to be loaded for it to work. Maybe something broke in the latest kernel...
Nota yet, but I will. I have installed Ubuntu studio version 17.10 but it was highly unstable. Then, I've wiped it Dow, and installed version 16.04 which is the stable release. It's working fine except for the sound interface. I've run alsa mixer and it displays everything about it. I can control all the volumes and everything. Have set the CPU freq to " performance" seems that something is lacking ( either driver or something between jack/kernel ). Today I've let only one drive running Ubuntu studio (took a ssd that is set for windows out) and which didn't help much... As soon as I used the onboard card problems disappeared.

Again thanks guys. I'll try running something else. Like you recommended (audacity)

I'll keep you gentleman posted OK?
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:

Just did it... Nothing works...
About kernel, I'll load some screenshots alsa mixer etc. I can be doing something wrong but I doubt. I've never had to do anything like that at all to put ardour/MB to rum at all.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

basstrombone wrote:Just did it... Nothing works...
About kernel, I'll load some screenshots alsa mixer etc. I can be doing something wrong but I doubt. I've never had to do anything like that at all to put ardour/MB to rum at all.
I'm still not completely sure it's the Behringer 404HD that's giving you trouble. To be on the safe side start your PC w/ the 404HD already attached. Could you start Jackaudio via the command line with a command like this:

Code: Select all

jackd -d alsa --device hw:2
Post the output of that command here in the forum (use copy-paste in the terminal window). To determine if your 404HD is "hw:2" do:

cat /proc/asound/modules
In your case I'm pretty sure it's 2. Now start Audacity and choose "Jack audio connection kit" and "4" to record 4 channels simultaneously (see mouse pointer in the screenshot below). Just to be on the safe side restart Audacity. Connect something to the inputs of the 404 and press record in Audacity. If you're lucky it'll look something like in my screenshot.

Also, I'd stick w/ a mainstream Linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint if I were you. Then use the KXStudio repository to install your audio applications like Ardour. Expecially for Ardour!

Good luck! :)

P.S. you can determine your kernel version w/:

uname -a

basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
basstrombone wrote:Just did it... Nothing works...
I'm still not completely sure it's the Behringer 404HD that's giving you trouble. To be on the safe side start your PC w/ the 404HD already attached. Could you start Jackaudio via the command line with a command like this:

Post the output of that command here in the forum (use copy-paste in the terminal window). To determine if your 404HD is "hw:2" do:

cat /proc/asound/modules
In your case I'm pretty sure it's 2. Now start Audacity and choose "Jack audio connection kit" and "4" to record 4 channels simultaneously (see mouse pointer in the screenshot below). Just to be on the safe side restart Audacity. Connect something to the inputs of the 404 and press record in Audacity. If you're lucky it'll look something like in my screenshot.

Also, I'd stick w/ a mainstream Linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint if I were you. Then use the KXStudio repository to install your audio applications like Ardour. Expecially for Ardour!

Good luck! :)

P.S. you can determine your kernel version w/:

uname -a

Hello,

Today I've tried the UMC404HD in another machine today running Ubuntu Studio and worked... I've also hook it up to my iMac (Sierra) and worked just fine too. Now I think is something is not working properly on UBUNTU studio and my machine even setting the cpu governor to "performance" ( this is a an old Laptop. A 2011 Gateway running a AMD quad 1500 with 8Gg of RAM). I know even been old, It use to run without problems. And I don't think that's the interface either.... Jack runs fine has been set up accordingly like I've been doing as always.

The reason why I'm saying that the problem is related to either CPU scalling system of some sort, because, this afternoon, I run ubuntu studio in a very old mini pc (intel dual core 3Gb) 5400 HD didn't even start jack and Mixbus 4.3 worked just fine. Then I start messing up with buffer size setting it to low numbers such as 256 and 128 and the pc start to behave just like my Laptop.

Then I created a session (again on Mixbus 4.3) and imported 27 or more audio tracks from the jazz ensemble I direct at 44100 24Bits. It opened fine but heard some crackles and funky noises. Then noticed MB was set to 32Bit Float. Went properties switched to 24Bits and set buffer size to 1024 and worked normally.

YEs UMC is at least HW 2.0 on /asound I've taken some screenshots I'll load them here tomorrow. and Yes I'll try other distro such as the ones you've suggested.

Nothing better than time and patience!

Thank you!! I'll keep trying.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

basstrombone wrote: Hello,

Today I've tried the UMC404HD in another machine today running Ubuntu Studio and worked... I've also hook it up to my iMac (Sierra) and worked just fine too. Now I think is something is not working properly on UBUNTU studio and my machine even setting the cpu governor to "performance" ( this is a an old Laptop. A 2011 Gateway running a AMD quad 1500 with 8Gg of RAM). I know even been old, It use to run without problems. And I don't think that's the interface either.... Jack runs fine has been set up accordingly like I've been doing as always.

The reason why I'm saying that the problem is related to either CPU scalling system of some sort, because, this afternoon, I run ubuntu studio in a very old mini pc (intel dual core 3Gb) 5400 HD didn't even start jack and Mixbus 4.3 worked just fine. Then I start messing up with buffer size setting it to low numbers such as 256 and 128 and the pc start to behave just like my Laptop.

Then I created a session (again on Mixbus 4.3) and imported 27 or more audio tracks from the jazz ensemble I direct at 44100 24Bits. It opened fine but heard some crackles and funky noises. Then noticed MB was set to 32Bit Float. Went properties switched to 24Bits and set buffer size to 1024 and worked normally.

YEs UMC is at least HW 2.0 on /asound I've taken some screenshots I'll load them here tomorrow. and Yes I'll try other distro such as the ones you've suggested.

Nothing better than time and patience!

Thank you!! I'll keep trying.
Don't forget to post here the output of:

And test the 404 w/ a lightweight application like Audacity with which everybody on the forum has experience. I've got no experience with Mixbus or Ardour. But the few times I started up Ardour I noticed that it is not a straightforward simple little app. So test if the 404 works w/ the latest kernel w/ Audacity, not w/ MB or Ardour. Okay?
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Hello,

I've tried everything you told me, but Audacity doesn't record anything. Really nothing. Started alsa from the terminal (I've loaded screenshots) nothing changed.
I'm pretty familiar with Ardour and MixBus (Ardour since 2002). And sincerely never had to deal with so many problems (even running Ubuntu Studio). Before buying this interface, I had a PRESONUS AUDIO BOX and used to run the same version of UBUNTU STUDIO on this very same laptop . Worse, I used to run it from an external HD (the same one that's running now as the only HD in the System) and it worked (with older versions) and I'm getting all these stuff. Really annoying.

Thanks again.

Keep you all posted.
Attachments
Kernel version.png
Kernel version.png (177.13 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Jack start and alsa mixer.png
Jack start and alsa mixer.png (107.09 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Hi again,

I forgot to say that I'm getting like tons of Xruns from Jacktl

Fri Mar 23 00:01:29 2018: Starting jack server...
Fri Mar 23 00:01:29 2018: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Fri Mar 23 00:01:29 2018: self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Fri Mar 23 00:01:29 2018: Acquired audio card Audio1
Fri Mar 23 00:01:29 2018: creating alsa driver ... hw:U192k,0|hw:U192k|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
Fri Mar 23 00:01:29 2018: configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 2 periods
Fri Mar 23 00:01:29 2018: ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
Fri Mar 23 00:01:29 2018: ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
Fri Mar 23 00:01:29 2018: ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
Fri Mar 23 00:01:29 2018: ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
00:01:34.470 D-BUS: JACK server was started (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus).
Fri Mar 23 00:01:34 2018: Saving settings to "/home/alexandre/.config/jack/conf.xml" ...
Fri Mar 23 00:01:34 2018: graph reorder: new port 'system:capture_1'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:34 2018: New client 'system' with PID 0
Fri Mar 23 00:01:34 2018: graph reorder: new port 'system:capture_2'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:34 2018: graph reorder: new port 'system:capture_3'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:34 2018: graph reorder: new port 'system:capture_4'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:34 2018: graph reorder: new port 'system:playback_1'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:34 2018: graph reorder: new port 'system:playback_2'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:34 2018: graph reorder: new port 'system:playback_3'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:34 2018: graph reorder: new port 'system:playback_4'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:35 2018: New client 'PulseAudio JACK Sink' with PID 1758
Fri Mar 23 00:01:35 2018: Connecting 'PulseAudio JACK Sink:front-left' to 'system:playback_1'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:35 2018: Connecting 'PulseAudio JACK Sink:front-right' to 'system:playback_2'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:35 2018: New client 'PulseAudio JACK Source' with PID 1758
00:01:39.688 JACK connection change.
00:01:39.689 Server configuration saved to "/home/alexandre/.jackdrc".
00:01:39.690 Statistics reset.
00:01:39.832 Client activated.
00:01:39.833 Patchbay deactivated.
Fri Mar 23 00:01:39 2018: Connecting 'system:capture_1' to 'PulseAudio JACK Source:front-left'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:39 2018: Connecting 'system:capture_2' to 'PulseAudio JACK Source:front-right'
Fri Mar 23 00:01:39 2018: New client 'qjackctl' with PID 1945
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

I see a message from jackctl about PuseAudio (PA). Try to kill PA and then try it all again. Kill PA the following way because it will spawn itself otherwise:

pulseaudio --kill
Otherwise it beats me why the 404 won't work. Have you tried other distributions? Can you post the output from theis command (to determine kernel version):

uname -a
Select the text in the terminal and use the right mouse button to copy: that's better readable for us than than a screenshot of the terminal window.

By the way, Alsa seems to recognise the 404HD. Can you playback sounds via the 404? Like an mp3 music file? First thing I'd rty s another Linu distribution. Or did you do that aready?
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Hello all,

First of all, again thanks for the support, I do appreciate it. I've been quite busy playing and rehearsing (beside trombone lessons, and research) preparing a trombone festival (coming in May)..
I did exactly what you guys have suggested me.

1. Tried a different distro (e.g. Mint).
2. Got the AV Linux repositories

Before formatting my HD, I formatted a SD Card and run LInux mint from there. UMC404HD was found (HW 02) went to sound setting switched to it and was able to play tunes form YouTube and mic check. Then really installed onto my 7200 RPM HD. Then, tried a bunch of different applications everything worked.

After this, installed the Repositories from AV Linux. Installed the GCC5 package that works with MB.

Installed MixBus

First messages I've got while installing MB:

[
"System failed the quick sanity check... Looking for a solution

Adding user to the audio group.

This should allow you to run realtime tasks. Please re-login for this change to take effect.

Press ENTER to continue:

Usage: usermod [options] LOGIN

Then a list of commands

]

[
then the next messages:

!!! ERROR !!! - Not able to add user to the audio group (usermod failed)!

Please add yourself to the audio group and re-login

]

Last message:

!!! WARNING !!! - Your system seems to use frequency scaling.
This can have a serious impact on audio latency.
For best results turn it off, e.g. by choosing the 'performance' governor.

Press ENTER to continue:

A: Well from those messages, I've entered User and groups and added my self to that "audio" group (as administrator") Haven't done anything yet as " root" because it has been a long time since I've messed up reading my 1998 Running Linux book! But If I need to go on the " root" path let me know ok?

Fact is I'm still getting messages from MB telling me that

B: I again installed "indicatorcpufreq" ; cpufrequtils; and have set it up for 'performance' but seems that is not helping much (or my laptop is too old!)
Let me know if you gentleman need me to load screenshots of it ok?

Even with all this messages, MB is " working" (100% better than Ubuntu Studio). I've Created a session @44100 24 Bits, Recorded fine (just one track) Then Loaded a session I did with MB with My iMac (@96K 4 tracks Drums, bass, guitar and voice) It plays back everything. I've added an extra track and recorded a voice over then I had drop outs.

Here some messages:

[WARNING]: AlsaAudioBackend:adjusted output channel count to match device.
[WARNING]: AlsaAudioBackend:adjusted input channel count to match device.
[WARNING]: AlsaAudioBackend:Cannot acquire realtime permitions
[WARNING]: AlsaMidiIO:Cannot acquire realtime permitions
[ERROR]: MMC:cannot send command
[ERROR]: MMC:cannot send command

I still have messages going on such as memory limit:

" WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory. This might cause Mixbus to run out of memory before your system runs out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l', and it is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf "

Went there and found to Files:

1. One was inside of a folder named "limits.d" within that folder there is a file name "audio config" then its contents are"

[
# Provided by the jackd package.
#
# Changes to this file will be preserved.
#

@audio - rtprio 95
@audio - memlock unlimited
#@audio - nice -19
]

2. Inside of the /etc/security/limits.conf "

[
/etc/security/limits.conf
#
#Each line describes a limit for a user in the form:
#
#<domain> <type> <item> <value>
#
#Where:
#<domain> can be:
# - a user name
# - a group name, with @group syntax
# - the wildcard *, for default entry
# - the wildcard %, can be also used with %group syntax,
# for maxlogin limit
# - NOTE: group and wildcard limits are not applied to root.
# To apply a limit to the root user, <domain> must be
# the literal username root.
#
#<type> can have the two values:
# - "soft" for enforcing the soft limits
# - "hard" for enforcing hard limits
#
#<item> can be one of the following:
# - core - limits the core file size (KB)
# - data - max data size (KB)
# - fsize - maximum filesize (KB)
# - memlock - max locked-in-memory address space (KB)
# - nofile - max number of open files
# - rss - max resident set size (KB)
# - stack - max stack size (KB)
# - cpu - max CPU time (MIN)
# - nproc - max number of processes
# - as - address space limit (KB)
# - maxlogins - max number of logins for this user
# - maxsyslogins - max number of logins on the system
# - priority - the priority to run user process with
# - locks - max number of file locks the user can hold
# - sigpending - max number of pending signals
# - msgqueue - max memory used by POSIX message queues (bytes)
# - nice - max nice priority allowed to raise to values: [-20, 19]
# - rtprio - max realtime priority
# - chroot - change root to directory (Debian-specific)
#
#<domain> <type> <item> <value>
#

#* soft core 0
#root hard core 100000
#* hard rss 10000
#@student hard nproc 20
#@faculty soft nproc 20
#@faculty hard nproc 50
#ftp hard nproc 0
#ftp - chroot /ftp
#@student - maxlogins 4

# End of file

]

Which I believe are instructions how to set things in an terminal

Lastly,

Again, didn't give up. Just time has been an issue for me,

I haven't uploaded any pictures because you told me that those are difficult to read. Then some I had the chance of copy/paste but most were typed. Yes took me time to transfer those scripts from the screenshoots but I want to make sure you guys get it. And above as signal of gratitude of you for taking the time to help me.

And the saga continues!

Thank you
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Hello again,

Seems that all the scripts I've got from MB are gone (after going users and adding all those recommended during MB installations). Just did an overdubb over that 96K file and no drop outs.

And I also did an AUDACITY TEST.

Imported same audios and did recordings and no drop outs.

Machine is set to PERFORMANCE

ANd is working

Again I'll keep you posted.

Thank you
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

basstrombone wrote: UMC404HD was found (HW 02) went to sound setting switched to it and was able to play tunes form YouTube and mic check.
Finally we're getting somewhere! The Behringer 404HD does work w/ Alsa at least on your computer! How great is that, eh?
basstrombone wrote: After this, installed the Repositories from AV Linux.
Here at linuxmusicians.com they mostly use the excellent repository from KXStudio: http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories
basstrombone wrote: !!! ERROR !!! - Not able to add user to the audio group (usermod failed)!

Please add yourself to the audio group and re-login
Check if the group "audio" exists and if you are a member of it w/:

cat /etc/group | grep audio
If your username is in that line somewhere you are a member of siad group. If the command returns nothing then you do not have the group "audio". Creat it w/:

sudo groupadd audio
Add yourself if hat group exists with:

sudo usermod -a -G audio basstrombone
And, like said, forget Mixbus and Ardour for a short while until the Behringer 404HD works with Jackaudio.
basstrombone wrote: Even with all this messages, MB is " working" (100% better than Ubuntu Studio).
Do you mean working w/ the 404 and Jackaudio? Because if that's the case it all works fine and your old laptop is too slow.
basstrombone wrote: Just did an overdubb over that 96K file and no drop outs. [...] And is working.
You meant the 404 is working w/ Jackaudio? That would be great!

P.S. You can copy/paste from terminal and text editor alike. Use the right mouse button. :)
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

You did that
@groups audio group
@limits.conf limits.conf
?

?Test with the quickscan script and c/p the result here? ;-)

wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration && AVLinux Manual == --help

Please use the quote/code/... functions to make the article easier to read. Thank you.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.