Zoom Rxx Project Import

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nate
Established Member

Zoom Rxx Project Import

Post by nate »

I recently bought a Zoom R24. Overall, I greatly prefer working with an appliance vs a PC, but there are still steps that are easier on the PC. I do prefer to do all my tracking on the appliance. I didn't really think it a big deal when I bought it, but I absolutely LOVE that the thing can run on batteries and I can drag the thing out on the back porch and record. It's slightly too big to ride in a pocket on a gig bag, but it'd be awesome if I could do that. But I digress.

There are some steps I'd still like to do on the PC. I can import/export wav files, but Zoom uses it's own proprietary format for project files. I copied a project to the PC and snooped around. The assignment of wavs to tracks/takes is plain text in the HST_xx.ZDT files. The other files are binary, but appear to be simple structures. What I'd like to throw out there is the following:

1) Is there anything out there already that reads these that I missed with a simple search?

2) Are there any Zoom R8/16 users around here? If so, I might request some project files. I expect them to be identical. There is a version number in the header of the PRJDATA.ZDT file, but as mine shows "ZOOM R24 PROJECT DATA VER0001 " I don't know if there ARE any other versions yet.

3) I was thinking about an import to Audacity, or possibly Ardour. Should I consider doing something different (like maybe Open Media Framework or something else)?

I'd like a basic functionality to be able to import/export all tracks, hopefully with levels. It'd also be nice to be able to do something useful with the Pattern Sequencer and Rhythm Patterns. (Especially turning the Rhythm patterns into something I can trigger Hydrogen with.)
sciurius
Established Member

Re: Zoom Rxx Project Import

Post by sciurius »

Did you make any progress?
I've bought an R24 too, and I'm always curious to find out more :).
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

I have an R16. I use it mostly as a usb interface, but on some occasions I have used it to record gigs or practices. In those cases, I have not used the Zoom project to do any mixing, just pulled the wav files from the SD card and imported them into my DAW. A friend of mine who greatly prefers to work with traditional recording equipment has used my R16 to record and mix some projects with good results. I don't think he did anything on his computer until he had a mixed down wav from the R16 - so he also did not do anything with project files.

I guess in my case, there was no problems getting the wav files aligned in a DAW, because they were from gigs or practices where all tracks were recording at once from the same point - no overdubs. So all the wav files are the same length. I'm not sure what happens if you drop in a guitar solo on a new track 50% of the way through a session.
sciurius
Established Member

Post by sciurius »

What DAW are you using?
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

The Linux version of Reaper. I save a new Reaper project with its own folder, then I copy the wave files from the R16 SD card into the project folder. Then I import them to separate tracks.