(free) xfaded brass for Virtual Playing Orchestra

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: (free) xfaded brass for Virtual Playing Orchestra

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Paul Battersby wrote:linuxsampler doesn't permit the mod wheel to control more than one thing at a time.
Correct. Each MIDI controller can control only one parameter in LinuxSampler.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Arthurx
Established Member

Post by Arthurx »

Paul and Jeff,

Can we ask Linuxsampler to support that cross fading? The example of Paul sounds :D great!

Arthur
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Arthurx wrote:Paul and Jeff,

Can we ask Linuxsampler to support that cross fading? The example of Paul sounds :D great!

Arthur
I would definitely +1 the request as well.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

LinuxSampler does support cross-fading. What isn't supported is one particular midi controller assigned to more than 1 parameter. For example, in Sforzando player, you can set the mod wheel to cross-fade samples while simultaneously doing cresendo/decresendo (ie volume swell). In LinuxSampler you can set the mod wheel to either cross-fade or volume swell, but not do both simultaneously. So, if you want to do both in Linuxsampler, you need to set the sfz to use 2 different controllers, for example mod wheel to cross-fade, and key pressure to vol swell.

It's just a matter of changing the sfz file Paul made.

Note that No Budget Orch's sfz's accomodate Linuxsampler's limitation. No single controller attempts to adjust more than 1 parameter.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Paul Battersby
Established Member

Post by Paul Battersby »

To get both the volume and crossfade to change, try moving both the mod wheel and whatever controls cc7. By default cc7 should control volume.

I could also make a change to the -DXF patches so that both the mod wheel (for those not using linuxsampler) and cc11, (for those using linuxsampler) control the volume for the crossfade. It's unfortunate that you'd have to move 2 controllers, but at least you could use the dynamic cross fade patches.

But, let me know if setting cc7 already works by default and works well enough.
Paul Battersby
My free orchestral sample library @ http://virtualplaying.com
khaines

Post by khaines »

Using cc7 to control volume works along with the DXF on cc1, but even maxed out the volume is too low.

I edited the french-horn-SEC-PERF.sfz file and replaced all "gain_cc1" instances with "volume_oncc1", since LinuxSampler doesn't support gain_ccN messages. This now seems to control DXF and volume from the same controller (CC1).

I've only got LinuxSampler to try, so I can't know if this is the same effect as gain_cc1 gives.
Paul Battersby
Established Member

Post by Paul Battersby »

khaines wrote:Using cc7 to control volume works along with the DXF on cc1, but even maxed out the volume is too low.
Now that you mention it, that makes sense. For the french-horn-SEC-PERF.sfz, file, cc7 would need to be configured to provide a max volume increase of 24db because to get good dynamic range out of the mod wheel, each french horn sample's volume was lowered by 24db. Each instrument will have it's own volume settings.
khaines wrote:I edited the french-horn-SEC-PERF.sfz file and replaced all "gain_cc1" instances with "volume_oncc1" ... I can't know if this is the same effect as gain_cc1 gives.
Seems that "volume_oncc1" is an sfz 2.0 opcode. I don't know if I succeeded but I tried not to rely on sfz 2.0 opcodes for maximum compatibility with various sfz players.

Good to know there is a linux solution for those willing to edit the .sfz files.
Paul Battersby
My free orchestral sample library @ http://virtualplaying.com