transition everything to Discourse

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wolftune
Established Member

transition everything to Discourse

Post by wolftune »

noted that in the 1.3 announcement http://blog.discourse.org/2015/06/disco ... -released/ they have a tool that can import from phpBB — maybe it can import the whole structure, history, users etc.

If it's actually that capable, Discourse has lots of advantages and more flexibility…
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
tux99
Established Member

Re: transition everything to Discourse

Post by tux99 »

I think the current forum is just fine, I don't find that it's missing any capabilities.

Migration almost always cause lots of broken links and upset people who were comfortable with the current forum software due to having to adapt to a completely different forum interface.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Can Discourse really help with spambots? Because spambots love to take advantage of phpBB's limitations. :)
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

i've read that discourse boards can have spam problems, but it's more a matter of streamlining discussions and improving methods of communication. stuff like username referencing and tags are built-in to discourse that don't exist natively in phpbb. Discourse offers more flexibility in how you want to digest information--for example there can actually be a distinction between question threads and actual discussions. Mobile browsing is also nice since I like to lurk on LM a lot. the latest phpbb release also has a mobile-friendly template too btw
kevinpaladin
Established Member

Post by kevinpaladin »

I am a newly registered user and here is my 2 cents:

I am with @wolftune (damn! I can't mention him) in switching to Discourse. I personally feel that this forum looks/feels kind of ancient. I would love to have some more advanced features like live edit preview, user mentions, votes to post and what not!
Last edited by kevinpaladin on Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

another benefit is that discourse can be used as a listserv for people who prefer email:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/expanding- ... -lists/679
https://meta.discourse.org/t/show-categ ... ions/13814

we could work w the current linuxaudio mailing lists and possibly get around to using a single discussion forum, something I'd definitely prefer.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

tatch wrote: we could work w the current linuxaudio mailing lists and possibly get around to using a single discussion forum
is nobody interested in this?

for both LM and LAU/LAD communities this means being able to access a unified english-speaking community with their platform of choice (html forum or email). added benefits for the mailing list include being able to subscribe to/ignore specific categories, which by extension means the integration of the LAD and LAU lists into one listserv with multiple categories, possibly mirroring LM's current categories.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

My only gripe with this forum is how many times the search feature has failed me. Like, I searched 'hydrogen' the other day and my query was refused because 'hydrogen' is allegedly too common a string. Well, but it's a quite popular application around here and I wanted to research what has been said about it.

Then I searched 'drums' and that string was accepted. Erm... Go figure.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

falkTX wrote:Some people like mailing lists because you can't edit or delete after you've sent a message.

tbh discourse doesn't convince me.
you can have the same accountability with discourse too if you choose to get an email feed of a topic, see the two links i posted earlier.
Metrophage
Established Member

Post by Metrophage »

I am but a mere noob, but I far prefer the BBS layout here instead of Discourse. Discourse wastes a lot of space on my screen which makes it a chore for me to use, and IMO most of its features seem kind of frivolous.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I think there's a very valid reason for not switching over to Discourse: Ctrl+F.

I discovered this when finding a text in a thread when the Discourse software decided to take over the Ctrl+F and I've had to click in the Chrome menu and choose Find. If you could find a way to prevent Discourse from taking over Ctrl+F, I don't mind if you switch over to that forum software.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

GraysonPeddie wrote:I think there's a very valid reason for not switching over to Discourse: Ctrl+F.

I discovered this when finding a text in a thread when the Discourse software decided to take over the Ctrl+F and I've had to click in the Chrome menu and choose Find. If you could find a way to prevent Discourse from taking over Ctrl+F, I don't mind if you switch over to that forum software.
Discourse is super configurable, I'd be shocked if there's no easy way to change that behaviour. Besides, it's FLO anyway, so anyone *could* change that anyway.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
sofiabovino

Post by sofiabovino »

I personally feel that this forum looks/feels kind of ancient.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

falkTX wrote:things trying to work well on phones and ignoring desktops is really irritating.
Very well said!

Now, get off our lawn! :D