HISE

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fizzlepop
Established Member

HISE

Post by fizzlepop »

It would be way cool to see this ported to linux. http://hise.audio/index.php

There is a little talk here about it. http://178.62.82.76:4567/topic/53/linux-build-of-hise
davephillips
Established Member

Re: HISE

Post by davephillips »

fizzlepop wrote:It would be way cool to see this ported to linux. http://hise.audio/index.php
Christoph installed Ubuntu and worked on putting the source code in better order. HISE now builds as a standalone application and as a native Linux VST plugin.

The standalone doesn't yet export plugins but it's getting close. The sampler works, it's pretty neat though I must confess I haven't got very far into it yet. I ran the plugin in Bitwig 1.3.15, had no problems with configuring it for various purposes. I think it'll be nicer when the standalone can generate the plugins.

For me, HISE compares to Cabbage or the FAUST on-line compiler, i.e. a quick & easy way to generate high-quality audio/MIDI plugins for use in a DAW. All these environments are capable of much more - Cabbage is also a fully capable DAW - but my interest in them is necessarily limited to more or less immediate usage. HISE includes some cool design features for building your own plugins - including GUI widgets - so I'm eager to see its export functions come up to speed.

I can't claim any deep knowledge about HISE yet, I'm just starting to have fun with it.

Best,

dp
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Looks very interesting, look forward to see how it progresses.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

I compiled it and loaded it into Carla. The sine wave synth makes sound.

But apparently .sfz import really is just sfz import as a basis to create your own HISE instrument. I was hoping for a real sfz engine/sampler as well. Or in other words: Load something and play.

A first look around the web didn't reveal any real instruments. Are there any? I just want to load something a play around. Something that really needs a sampler, not a basic synth wave.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

nilshi wrote:I compiled it and loaded it into Carla. The sine wave synth makes sound.

But apparently .sfz import really is just sfz import as a basis to create your own HISE instrument. I was hoping for a real sfz engine/sampler as well. Or in other words: Load something and play.

A first look around the web didn't reveal any real instruments. Are there any? I just want to load something a play around. Something that really needs a sampler, not a basic synth wave.
Yes, I looked at the GUI and couldn't find any proper sampler.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

FaTony wrote: Yes, I looked at the GUI and couldn't find any proper sampler.
You mean samples? The sampler can be added if you press on the "+" next to the "Master Chain" in the main window.
sfz import will be in there.

In the official forum they said sfz should work. But using the built-in onscreen keyboard didn't even produce anything. No sound, no visual indicator in the volume bar. Maybe I did something wrong so I should try importing a simpler instrument than Salamander Piano.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

nilshi wrote:In the official forum they said sfz should work. But using the built-in onscreen keyboard didn't even produce anything. No sound, no visual indicator in the volume bar. Maybe I did something wrong so I should try importing a simpler instrument than Salamander Piano.
At least some SFZ import works fine here. I tested the PatchArena marimba, no problems. I put the SFZ and WAV files in the same directory, clicked on the Import SFZ button in the sampler's Map Editor, and I was ready to go.

Btw, I mean no offense when I say this, but you're much better off reporting your issues in the HISE forum than here.

Best,

dp
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

davephillips wrote: Btw, I mean no offense when I say this, but you're much better off reporting your issues in the HISE forum than here.
I do and I did. We are talking in the same thread in the HISE forum and I write under the same name. Surely you have seen it.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

nilshi wrote:
davephillips wrote: Btw, I mean no offense when I say this, but you're much better off reporting your issues in the HISE forum than here.
I do and I did. We are talking in the same thread in the HISE forum and I write under the same name. Surely you have seen it.
Sorry, never mind.

dp
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Noob question, not done my research yet.
Can hise be used to create your own instruments / fx in the way of synth edit?
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

rghvdberg wrote:Noob question, not done my research yet.
Can hise be used to create your own instruments / fx in the way of synth edit?
This looks like a good place for my first post :)

HISE runs on Natively on Linux (at least on my Linux Mint setup). There is a bug in the current version which I've just reported but I expect it will be fixed soon.

HISE is designed for building sampled instruments, for anything more than a very basic instrument though you will need some scripting ability. The scripting language is based on JavaScript. I've posted a lot of code snippets on the HISE forum that you can just drop in to your own projects and Christoph (the developer of HISE) also posts a lot of code.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

d.healey wrote:HISE runs on Natively on Linux...
I've been building and running it occasionally here on Fedora 21. This morning I built and tested the latest git code, it's all good.

Alas, I'm still unable to export a VST instrument plugin. HISE complains that it can't find the VST SDK, but the path is correctly specified in the compiler settings and I've tried both VST2 and VST3. Any hints or suggestions ?

EDIT: I set the SDK exactly to the path specified in tools/SDK/Readme.md. The export gets further along but now fails with a "Compilation error" message display and this message at the xterm prompt :

Code: Select all

Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console
Does that mean anything to you ?

Best regards,

Dave Phillips
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

I haven't tried exporting a VST yet on Linux so I'm not sure what the status of it is but I'll give it a go soon an report back.
David Healey
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

So exporting on Linux hasn't been implemented yet, but it's on the todo list and will hopefully not be too far away.
David Healey
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

d.healey wrote:So exporting on Linux hasn't been implemented yet, but it's on the todo list and will hopefully not be too far away.
Thanks for the update. Alas, it's been on the TODO for a very long time. I can use the full HISE plugin, but it would be much nicer to simply build a specific plugin and export it, like Cabbage does it.

Best,

dp