Firefox sound broken in last update

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Firefox sound broken in last update

Post by sysrqer »

42low wrote:Don't understand something. So question.
Why do you all use ff within your recording setup? What's the goal of that?
not everyone has the luxury of more than one computer.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

42low wrote:
42low wrote:Don't understand something. So question.
Why do you all use ff within your recording setup? What's the goal of that?
But my question is, why one want it's ff sound connected to it's homerecordingsetup and DAW?? (through jack for instance, like i read more than once here)
Are those recording from ff/youtube or whatever?
One simple usage case:

Playing virtual synths running on the system or using guitarix, along to youtube to practice a song.
With Pulse-Ebola, it would be a hopeless exercise due to the latency.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

chtfn wrote:How does one use Jack as the Firefox audio backend?
If your version of FF doesn't have jack enabled you'll have to compile FF yourself as described earlier in the thread.
There are some issues. It causes occasional xruns and there are audio / video syncing issues in some youtube videos.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Thad E Ginathom wrote:But stuff like BBC news videos remains silent
Considering the depravity and endless #FakeNews they tend to produce that isn't necessarily a bad thing. :mrgreen:
chtfn
Established Member

Post by chtfn »

asbak wrote:
chtfn wrote:How does one use Jack as the Firefox audio backend?
If your version of FF doesn't have jack enabled you'll have to compile FF yourself as described earlier in the thread.
There are some issues. It causes occasional xruns and there are audio / video syncing issues in some youtube videos.
Thank you for that :)
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

Thad E Ginathom wrote:How was it a whole year before this problem hit me in a big way? :lol:
Pulse is actually installed, but KX has done its magic to keep it stopped. I don't really want to interfere with that and mess things up. Clicking on the Pulse Bridge button in Cadence does nothing. I guess... because Pulse is not running.
Do you have the pulseaudio-module-jack package installed?
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

barbouze wrote:
Thad E Ginathom wrote: ... ... ...Clicking on the Pulse Bridge button in Cadence does nothing. I guess... because Pulse is not running.
Do you have the pulseaudio-module-jack package installed?
Umm... no I didn't. So I installed it.

Now, when I start the PulseAudio bridge in Cadence, it starts.

The sink/source nomenclature is opposed to my intuition (you put something in a sink and get something from a source: wrong!) but having overcome that small hurdle, I connect up the PulseAudio JACK Sink to my Calf EQ in Catia.

1. Youtube still works.

2. BBC audio (and therefore, I suspect but time will tell, at least some other web sound sources) plays and I get sound

And 3, KXStudio, even though I use it now only for listening to music, rocks! Well worth the small-drink contribution I make monthly.

Many thanks, barbouze. You supplied the missing link. It might be a simple answer, but I could have looked for ever. I was playing with apulse, but had not figured out how to point it at the correct device. Now, with Cadence, it is all just a click away.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I have been using Cadence in Arch with snd-aloop and the pulse sink not running. Firefox sound still works as Arch still has Alsa enabled in ver 52. I tried installing pulseaudio-jack and running the pulse sink but then I lose sound in Firefox. I see in the patchbay that both the alsa loopback and pulse sink are running and connected to the outputs. Are both supposed to be running?
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

CraigPid wrote:... I see in the patchbay that both the alsa loopback and pulse sink are running and connected to the outputs. Are both supposed to be running?
My system works with both running.
dave
Established Member

Post by dave »

Sorry to dredge this up; Pale Moon is only temporary vaccination against soundsystemd-blastoma precancerous polypaudio.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... io#p117137

Pale Moon is little more than a snapshot of an old Firefox anyway. The level of 'development' being undertaken by the Pale Moon team seems to be a bit exaggerated as they have already begun wringing their hands about ALSA and soon they will simply move on to a later snapshot.

Frankly, as the main trend being pushed in telecommunication right now is the proliferation of super low-latency (see: <1ms latency 5G FCC Internet of Things propaganda) it seems that prior claims about Jack being unsuitable for an everyday sound server (or average users) are gradually being proven false. As more everyday people are video conferencing, livestreaming, etc, it's become apparent that there does exist a fairly common need to easily route intersoftware audio streams and to have that software perform with minimal jitter/lag/artifacts/etc. Those who have wondered why Jack is not sitting upon PulseAudio's ill-gotten perch could soon be proven to have wondered correctly. The fact that Jack is made available in a browser config menu when ALSA has been dropped altogether, sort of punctuates this point.

Sorry also for nearly veering offtopic. :oops: :arrow:
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Have you guys heard about Firefox 57? I've been a user of Firefox since 1.0 circa 2005 and the latest ESR release which is 52 really got me thinking about the alternative. But no alternative in sight yet.
Lenny
Established Member

Post by Lenny »

Lyberta wrote:Have you guys heard about Firefox 57? I've been a user of Firefox since 1.0 circa 2005 and the latest ESR release which is 52 really got me thinking about the alternative. But no alternative in sight yet.
I hope there's nothing too radical... like not dropping support for add-ons like NoScript etc.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Lenny wrote: I hope there's nothing too radical... like not dropping support for add-ons like NoScript etc.
It's quite possible, that is one of the major changes to come. Some addons will port to the new structure but a lot will/cannot. They already broke vimperator for me when they enabled e10s so I've already moved away from it, they are crippling it more with every release.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Lenny wrote:like not dropping support for add-ons like NoScript etc.
How about dropping support for *ALL* extensions that did not rewrite themselves completely?
Lenny
Established Member

Post by Lenny »

Lyberta wrote:
Lenny wrote:like not dropping support for add-ons like NoScript etc.
How about dropping support for *ALL* extensions that did not rewrite themselves completely?
Sounds like a suicide. I also read something about Firefox's plans in collecting user statistics.

Browsers have become monsters that are "too big to fork". They have to be maintained by huge committees with proper "five year plans". Sometimes I think we (programmers) are really stupid and ignorant, and just keep on inventing things over and over again, and piling up with all this useless waste. This story expresses very well what I mean: How it feels to learn JS in 2016.