M-Audio 1010LT S/pdif input?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Digital Black
Established Member

M-Audio 1010LT S/pdif input?

Post by Digital Black »

Hello all, title says it. Have anyone make it working? When sync set to S/pdif I get message "IEC status unable to read input status" and jack stops.
[edit: when trying to sync to S/pdif, it says "no word clock"]
No signal on input meters.
Otherwise working system with AV Linux 2016.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Re: M-Audio 1010LT S/pdif input?

Post by Frank Carvalho »

When you have two of them, and you want to link them together, you usually connect one cards output to another cards input. In that case it works.
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

So with linux they only are for sharing the wordclock and not for audio?
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

Bump

No one uses s/pdif for audio in linux? Rme, Motu, Presonus users neither?
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Digital Black wrote:So with linux they only are for sharing the wordclock and not for audio?
Frank is referring to linking two cards via s/pdif so they don't drift out of sync.
It sounds like you're using one card only, and you don't have a word clock, so it isn't receiving a sync signal.

I use the s/dif on my RME for audio out / monitoring. The M-Audio's s/pdif IO should work for audio I imagine.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Yes. (I didn't have time for a more elaborate reply when I wrote that)

What I was trying to say was, that with two cards linked, you use one card to provide clock to the other through the S/PDIF connection. And this works, as the second card plays happily with the external clock it is given from the first card.
So the 1010 card should works, if it is provided with an external clock. But from your description, it sounds like it does not. So you should check if the device sending data to your card is also providing a sync clock. Also, I think you have to open alsamixer, and make sure your card is synced through the S/PDIF connection, because there are more options as to what source to sync from. Alsamixer will also show the input levels expected form the S/PDIF channels, so make sure they are set correctly too.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

@Digital Black, what are you plugging into the S/PDIF input?
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

Thanks for replies, yes I'm aware of linking two cards together method but I wished to have just two more channels easily. I have cheap Lindy converter which works ok in another system. I tried to send signal from CD player to card as well but no success. On the Envy24 mixer "IEC958 status: unable to read input status, no file find" or so makes me think that maybe something should add to .asoundrc file. Alsamixer gives even less info or options, changes made in there appears of course on the Envy mixer.
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

Is it the Lindy 70408, or the Lindy 70409? What is the other system where this converter works ok? When you connect your CD player to the card, is that a direct connection (i.e. the CD player has a S/PDIF output you are plugging into the 1010LT's S/PDIF input), or is the CD player the device you are plugging into the analog hookups of the Lindy converter?
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

A few years back I did digital transfers almost daily at my day job, so I am somewhat familiar with the connections. Yes, the another system was Win7/Rme multiface.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

In the envy mixer you need to set your master clock on the hardware settings page to spdif in. I was trying to use a cheap converter on the delta 24/96 and I couldn't get it to work. It seemed like the converter wasn't reporting the sample rate to the card. Or I'm just guessing. I did get a dvd player spdif out to work though. It didn't work on first try but I changed a setting in the dvd player regarding the digital output and then I was able to pipe sound through the card. I was hoping to use the analog to digital converter to send a signal through an analog pre and then through the converter and into the spdif in. Never did work out but the dvd experiment proved that the spdif in does work.
I think maybe those $30 adc's are probably garbage. I took it back to the store where I got it and they wouldn't take it as the seal had been broken on the casing. I guess I can't blame them for not believing that I didn't open it up.
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

The Lindy box should be ok, I tried it in another environment.
The 1010LT or Alsa is not really receiving s/pdif audio and/or clock. I tried a DVD, CD and even sent card output to input. Jack stops right away when the Master Clock is anything but internal.
Funny, s/pdif used to be so easy and hassel free method to send audio.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Digital Black wrote:The 1010LT or Alsa is not really receiving s/pdif audio and/or clock. I tried a DVD, CD and even sent card output to input. Jack stops right away when the Master Clock is anything but internal.
But why would that be surprising? Unless I'm missing something you don't have a word clock connected to it.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

asbak wrote:
Digital Black wrote:The 1010LT or Alsa is not really receiving s/pdif audio and/or clock. I tried a DVD, CD and even sent card output to input. Jack stops right away when the Master Clock is anything but internal.
But why would that be surprising? Unless I'm missing something you don't have a word clock connected to it.
When daisy-chaining two digital devices together by above described manner, the first becomes master and the second should be slave. Clocking comes with the digital audio signal but even without proper clocking arrangement the receiving device should receive some digital audio, even if devices were at different clocking frequencies.
My test just proves that card does not pass incoming clock to jack or alsa.