Archlinux audio subforum

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Archlinux audio subforum

Post by funkmuscle »

gimmeapill wrote:
That's why I'm saying maybe set the sub-forum up there at Arch.
We would then lose the knowledge accumulated here, which would be a bigger loss. Most of the audio stuff is not particularly specific to arch (plugins, applications etc...)
But I just had a look at the arch forums and it's indeed a desert when it comes to pro-audio. People ask questions there and end up here ;-)
The typical paths seems to be: arch wiki -> arch forums -> LM forums.
It would then probably save time for everybody to simply put a reference to the LM forums on the pro-audio page of the arch wiki.

As for the content that is both arch linux & audio specific, ie anything that could justify a sub forum here, I can't actually think of much at the moment except user support.
Packaging (pkgbuild dev) questions will be best be answered on the arch forums, system tuning is not particularly distribution specific.
The only thing that stands out is arch users are often the first ones to report new bugs since they live on the bleeding edge (as already mentioned earlier).
In comparison gentoo/funtoo and other rolling release distro users seem to be less numerous or less vocal.
Looks like you are making a lot of sense here man!
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

--Maybe create a subforum in both forums! Better to have extra info out there than not enough. And, each forum can have a "sticky" that points to the other site. :)

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

gimmeapill wrote: I'd also like to highlight that maintaining binary packages can be a royal pain, especially when you build for several architectures - much easier to provide a single PKGBUILD and do a git push to the AUR. Then let the official packagers pick up the good stuff and move it to Community as needed.

I like however the idea of an arch subforum, we could possibly help each other better here than on the official Arch forums (could be useful also to redirect questions raised in the AUR comments).
Makes a lot of sense to me. I have started to move my very first baby steps into PKGBUILDs. At this moment I am just trying to build DISTHRO plugins. While making my experiments I have realized that a sub-forum to discuss, among other Arch audio stuff, needed packages (PKGBUILDs) and related issues would be indeed of great use.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

In addition to a subforum for Archlinux, the Slackware community has this to celebrate too: http://slackermedia.info/

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Is there a package group or something for plugins and/or audio applications in aur? It seems somewhat cumbersome to search for stuff unless you know what it is called.
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

sysrqer wrote:Is there a package group or something for plugins and/or audio applications in aur? It seems somewhat cumbersome to search for stuff unless you know what it is called.
None that I know of. As a matter of fact, Group options for new packages are no longer available in AUR4 (or, at least, I couldn’t find any :mrgreen: ).
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Oh ok, didn't know that. Well, pot luck searching it is the :P
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

Hi guys, I am not sure if it's a good idea to bump this after so long, but I thought I might shout out a few things:

- As an Arch packager I shamefully admit that the most important proaudio packages have lately seen major delays in updates due to my RL situation having become difficult over the last couple of years. But this will not continue happening as I will either get back to full productivity on Arch and have a life (i.e. start making music again) or resign from my (voluntary) responsibilities (and hand them over to someone else).

- I don't think it's a good idea to have a sub-forum for Arch Linux here, but there could be a sub-forum for proaudio on the official Arch forums (I don't know who you should ask or how to go about asking, sorry!). It's more about Special Interest Groups than anything, and some communities tend to keep SIGs separate.

- We already have one active (the last I remember) support channel on IRC: #archaudio (Freenode)

- We already have a support project, including a forum and server space for hosting packages: http://archaudio.org/

Granted, as funkmuscle put it nicely, the last one is dead or inactive. But that doesn't have to be the case! If you want SIG infrastructure, you have it right there. If any of you have the time, please let me or the other guy (Jon Kristian) know and we'll give you admin rights on whatever you need (web server, build server).

Otherwise, keep rocking!
Professor: Music is not a science, my son. It's an art.
Student: But art is science.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Shiv, I knew you were back because I saw a lot of the pro audio packages in testing. Yes I fully agree with you it should be held at the official Arch forums. So happy to have you back man.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Welcome back Schiv! and thanks again for getting many of us started on Arch ;-)
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

schivmeister wrote:But that doesn't have to be the case! If you want SIG infrastructure, you have it right there. If any of you have the time, please let me or the other guy (Jon Kristian) know and we'll give you admin rights on whatever you need (web server, build server).
Sounds like a call to me! Maybe if we were just an handful we could make things interesting. There are few things that surfaced recently, like Manjaro RT kernels and a new repo (see this thread).

Here the repo.

Perhaps Manjaro guys and coderkun could be interested in helping? Also, thetotalchaos was searching for you guys. He seemed interested in helping... Just wondering how it ended.

While I don't think I can take over the project (I barely understand what a PKGBUILD is) I would be happy to contribute. I just have few packages in the AUR and I guess I can be of some use on forums and similar.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

CrocoDuck wrote:
schivmeister wrote:But that doesn't have to be the case! If you want SIG infrastructure, you have it right there. If any of you have the time, please let me or the other guy (Jon Kristian) know and we'll give you admin rights on whatever you need (web server, build server).
Sounds like a call to me! Maybe if we were just an handful we could make things interesting. There are few things that surfaced recently, like Manjaro RT kernels and a new repo (see this thread).

Here the repo.

Perhaps Manjaro guys and coderkun could be interested in helping? Also, thetotalchaos was searching for you guys. He seemed interested in helping... Just wondering how it ended.

While I don't think I can take over the project (I barely understand what a PKGBUILD is) I would be happy to contribute. I just have few packages in the AUR and I guess I can be of some use on forums and similar.
I was chatting with thetotalchaos on Facebook about that a few minutes ago. He says he's been busy but still has interest.
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

funkmuscle wrote:
CrocoDuck wrote:

Here the repo.

I was chatting with thetotalchaos on Facebook about that a few minutes ago. He says he's been busy but still has interest.
The idea is still alive. The scripts from parabola-proaudio-settings https://www.parabola.nu/packages/pcr/an ... -settings/ are still delivering uncompromising results on both Parabola and Arch (manually installed). Currently i am using Arch with Gnome and Linux-RT and this is how things are in this paradigm

You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

thetotalchaos wrote: The idea is still alive.
Cool! Nice to see you are still interested. I think your packages are cool, but perhaps need some adjustment here and there. For example it was pointed out that applying noop in as in here might not be the best way (see here).

Other than that, I was thinking that we could maybe allocate some resource for an automatic test setup? As emerged in many threads, it is getting harder to track what system configuration interventions are actually effective. The idea would be to set up a machine with full compatible hardware to run an automated audio performance test switching on and off audio configuration interventions sequentially. We could collect statistics and detect early whether that kernel version makes audio more unstable, that conf file intervention is now useless... this and that.

I don't have any clear idea on how to implement this, a part that it will involve this, some (perhaps sometimes serious) bash scripting and some stats (which I hope I did not forget too much in the meanwhile). And time, which I only have at weekends.

What do you think guys?
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Thanks Crocoduck - you were faster than me ;-)

Those parabola "scripts" are just a bunch of arbitrary commands disguised as a service that rely on assumptions without testing anything...I wouldn't recommend them (unless you have the exact same HW & SW config as the developer).

Not everyone want to run all the time with "cpupower frequency-set -g performance"...or have and SSD as /dev/sda...or need 8 virtual midi ports (ok, I'm being picky, this one doesn't harm).

Not saying that the concept is necessarily wrong, but I don't think the implementation is ready for prime time...
Last edited by gimmeapill on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.