Ardour2 Raspberry Pi 2

Discussion of all things Raspberry Pi / Raspberry Pi 2 related

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Ardour2 Raspberry Pi 2

Post by MattKingUSA »

I got a Raspberry Pi 2 for father's day this year and I wanted to see what recording with Ardour2 was like on the Raspberry Pi 2. I went to Fry's and purchased a cheap usb audio adapter for $4.99. It's not a sound card but a plug n play adapter. Ardour kept freezing after a minute or so of recording, so I played with the buffering and was able to extend the time before it froze. Finally I set the sampling to 22000khz and it records with no issues. :D I'm planning to do some recording pretty soon but I have to get some quality shielded cables first. The ones that I have are rubbish.

-Matt :D

BigBen

Re: Ardour2 Raspberry Pi 2

Post by BigBen »

Well done, Matt!

I'm hoping to get some stuff running on our RasPi 2 soon - have *just* received some inexpensive USB audio hardware via Amazon that should improve on the allegedly 11-bit RasPi hardware.
Mind you I recall doing a lot of stuff on 8-bit hardware back in the day!
Want to see how Rakarrack and Guitarix pan out on it... :wink:
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

What type of hardware did you get and can you post your results with it when you get it in? I would be interested. I'm considering using a soundcard for the gpio pins or usb if there are good alternatives. I just like the simplicity of the usb adapter for it's small size.

Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

I have a very strong feeling that I will get a Raspberry Pi 2 B for my birthday next week. I think I will put my Quatro USB card on it, and see if I can get Guitarix going.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

I have had so much stuff going on in my life I put all the music projects etc on hold. And I am just now getting back into audio. But I'm not putting my time in to RPI as an audio recording platform. I'm back to X86. :/ But maybe someday I'll get back on to testing stuff out. I'm sure the RPI3 is going to do much better for audio.

English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I set my Pi up with hydrogen. Now anywhere I have a TV I have a drum machine to play along too :)
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Yeah, I got lmms to kind of run ok on rpi2. But i was using a usb sound card then I started hydrogen and lmms without the usb soundcard and it didn't work with or without the usb sound card. So I am going to just do a fresh install of rasbian. Right now my raspberry pi 2 is in peices. It's in the middle of a rebuilt. :D

English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Autostatic (who does take part on these forums) has an RPi audio repo at

http://rpi.autostatic.com/

I have not updated my Pi in a long time, but when I set it up, jack worked far better with his package than stock Debian
JonLester

Post by JonLester »

Hi Matt, I have been playing with an Akai EWI USB, plugged into a Pi 3 running Raspian. If your USB soundcard goes silent, like mine did for a few frustrating hours, run aplay -l to check that it is seen by alsa. Then run amixer (not the same as 'alsamixer') with --help to see the commands to switch PCM sound on/off. Some stupid thing (probably me) had switched it off!
You need to fiddle about to get the syntax and the device name exactly right, but it solved my problem. You can also set the volume with amixer.
Jack maybe easier than Alsa. Dunno. I get good fast responses with the EWI. If only I could play the darn thing!
Regards, Jon
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Are you using it with ardour?

Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Finally got round to installing the official touchscreen on my Pi 2, and can now run Guitarix from the screen. I am able to run it steady with a latency down to 16ms. The version I have does not offer 8ms as an option.
Next I wanted to install tramps marvellous Univox SuperFuzz simulation, but.. my system is broken, and I cannot even install the g++ compiler :(
So I have to go the long way, to install the newest Raspbian, make all the audio tweaks, install Autostatic repos etc. to compile the SuperFuzz. Hope I will succeed...

/Frank

Edit: Noooo, I meant with a buffer size 16, which is a whole lot less latency. Probably less than 1ms
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.