free piano tutorials

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

free piano tutorials

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
dArAzAc
Established Member

Re: free piano tutorials

Post by dArAzAc »

Ha, that's a fitting URL if I've ever seen one. Unfortunately all of the lessons seem to be "How to play X song". I notice that a lot of teachers use this method for all sorts of instruments. I'm not sure how I feel about it.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I agree...you know, it's great to get people playing songs they know; it keeps them interested. But if you don't accompany that with solid instruction on technique and theory, you're really doing them a disservice as a teacher IMHO.
David Raleigh Arnold
Established Member

Post by David Raleigh Arnold »

nathan wrote:I agree...you know, it's great to get people playing songs they know; it keeps them interested. But if you don't accompany that with solid instruction on technique and theory, you're really doing them a disservice as a teacher IMHO.
I have a guitar site, and the best instruction book ever for guitar, and many others in the public
domain, and much repertoire are available on line, from libraries for which free download
access is provided by the royalty of Sweden and Denmark. (Boije and Rischel)

I was shocked and appalled to be able to find only one method for piano, but it is an excellent
one. An interesting feature is the use of X1234 for fingering instead of 12345, to make
fingering less confusing for keyboardists who are also string players. One of many
great ideas out there that never caught on. He's been dead a long time, but he has his
own site! The method is in the list of his works. Check it
out: http://www.sydneysmitharchive.org.uk/ Regards, daveA
David Raleigh Arnold, composer, webmaster
OpenGuitar is a 100 pct linux site.
http://www.openguitar.com/contact.html