Clever use of PZM-Acoustic Guitar

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

i2productions
Established Member

Clever use of PZM-Acoustic Guitar

Post by i2productions »

For anyone that's ever used a PZM(Pressure Zone Mic) you may know that it can do some rather interesting things as a microphone. Common uses are for large confrences, room mics, and kick drum mic if place on the floor in front of the kick.

My standard procedure for recording acoustic guitar is to have a dynamic mic pointed directly at the resonation hole, a condensor overhead, and sometimes a PZM on a window as a room mic. I was out in the field and only brought what I needed with me to a session at a musicians home. Get my portable setup going only to find that my dynamic mic has gone bad. The condensor and room mic alone are just not going to grab all the sound I want. I dared try a radical move and taped the PZM to the body of the guitar. I was pretty sure it was going to be so much rattle and pick noise, that it would be a crappy recording. To my amazement I got the best acoustic recording of my career. In post I was even able to add fx that would only be for electric guitar without it sounding terrible! We messed around with some distortions, tremelo, and others just to see what was possible with that particular mic track. It sounded amazing by itself, and took just about everything we through at it in the studio. To me, it sounds much better than any mic built into an electic/acoustic i've ever heard.

The PZM has long facinated me with the wide range of things it can do. I can confidently say I will be using it for EVERY acoustic session I do from now on!
bhilmers
Established Member

Re: Clever use of PZM-Acoustic Guitar

Post by bhilmers »

This post reads like an advertisement. Makes me think it's spam. Sound samples?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

bhilmers wrote:This post reads like an advertisement. Makes me think it's spam. Sound samples?
Did i quote a specific brand or make links? How is it spam? It's a how-to personal story. Unfortunately, the material I have right now is the property of another musician for an unreleased album so I can't post what I have. But next time I have the opportunity to do a recording that I can freely upload I will. Don't know how u got an advertisement out of this WHEN I DIDN'T ADVERTISE ANY PARTICULAR PRODUCT!
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

It didn't come across as spam to me. As a matter of fact I was hoping I would remember this for the next time I need to record acoustic.

I, for one, appreciate the post.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

SR wrote:It didn't come across as spam to me. As a matter of fact I was hoping I would remember this for the next time I need to record acoustic.

I, for one, appreciate the post.
Thanks. And to give you a tip, I taped the PZM in the same position where the 1/4" jack on an electric guitar would be.
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

i2productions wrote:Don't know how u got an advertisement out of this WHEN I DIDN'T ADVERTISE ANY PARTICULAR PRODUCT!
Yeah, sorry man. It just reads like a professionally crafted user testimonial. You were super-excited about the results you got, and I guess I wanted to get excited too, but I didn't get to hear what got you all turned on. I hope you can get some sound samples here because I really do want to hear it. I'm always in the market for a new way to record stuff.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

bhilmers wrote:This post reads like an advertisement. Makes me think it's spam.
One way to check for this is to look at a users' previous posts. 178 posts of on-topic useful contributions is not something a spammer would invest in ;).
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Trust me I would love to post this, but I'm sure you can understand it's not mine to post. I don't do acoustic musicians very often, so not sure when I'll get another chance. Hopefully soon! (And I'll ask if I can maybe release a few riffs.)
Translucent

Post by Translucent »

I love this taping of the PZM to the acoustic guitar body, and in fact I thought of it myself just this afternoon. But I had forgotten that a PZM has a balanced output and it won't go into an amp, which I wanted to do. To use the PZM as a pickup, I mean. Also, what kind of tape can you use that won't hurt the finish of the instrument? Any advice would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you.
ken

Post by ken »

Do you have pics and a description of how and where you are taping this to a acoustic? I assume using gaff tape? Most guys I know would never allow any kind of tape on their Taylor or Martin much less a metal plate that could scratch the surface. Suggestions in overcoming that?
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

ken wrote:Do you have pics and a description of how and where you are taping this to a acoustic? I assume using gaff tape? Most guys I know would never allow any kind of tape on their Taylor or Martin much less a metal plate that could scratch the surface. Suggestions in overcoming that?
I would be interested in this too, I own one of these (alas unbalanced) and do not have an acoustic with a decent pickup