Driver Utiliy not working

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

siabost9deas
Established Member

Driver Utiliy not working

Post by siabost9deas »

Hi,
I've recently installed KXStudio on my music PC. It's a quad-core i5 with nVidia Graphics card.
Previously I've used AVLinux & Ubuntu-Studio. Both were good (particularly AVLinux) but XFCE is so agricultural :-) KXStudio with its KDE desktop is so much nicer and Claudia is the way Jack connections should be managed in this day and age!

Anyhow, KWin with the Nouveau driver works fine (except for a rather strange effect that breaks up the font when scrolling a window sideways slowly - breaks it up so it's unreadable - though if you scroll quickly it's fine). But I'd like to try the proprietary nVidia driver. When the driver utility is opened it just 'spins' continuously and never shows any driver options no matter how long I leave it running. I've tried this on two nVidia machines and one with Intel Graphics - the driver utility behaves in the same way on all of them.

Any help appreciated (I have the default KXStudio theme installed, in case that matters).

Many thanks :D
siabost9deas
Established Member

Re: Driver Utiliy not working

Post by siabost9deas »

Hi,
Not yet. I'll try that. As it's Kubuntu underneath there should be plenty of how-tos for that.

Any ideas re the strange font corruption when scrolling sideways slowly? Possibly the proprietary driver might fix that?

Thanks. FXStudjo looks an excellent system.
siabost9deas
Established Member

Re: Driver Utiliy not working

Post by siabost9deas »

Hi falkTX,

Manually installing the nVidia Driver worked fine and it gave me a couple of extra resolutions for my twin-monitor set-up.

I have a little ripple of screen tearing now when I move windows around although vsync is enabled, but it's ok for music as windows are stationary and there's no video involved. But if anyone has a fix that would be good. Otherwise I can just dig around in Kubuntu forums.

Thanks again :D