Opinions Wanted

A place for established members to share music privately.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Forum rules
Any musical works in this forum are private and copyrighted by their respective owners. You may not copy, distribute, or create derivative works without the composer's explicit permission.
ntnunk
Established Member

Opinions Wanted

Post by ntnunk »

All,

I've been struggling with this piece of music for a VERY long time (I think I originally wrote the intro part in about 2000 or 2001) and I think I'm finally starting to hone in on the final version. I'd be interested in getting feedback with regard to the song structure, instrument selections, etc. as well as the mix. It's a very rough mix at the moment, and I'm still trying to figure this whole mixing and mastering thing out. Also, the synth voice/choir sound is a stand-in for what will eventually be a vocal part (I haven't written lyrics yet) so keep in mind what it would sound like with a real voice when listening.

And please: be gentle. :lol:

Here's the link: http://home.earthlink.net/~ntnunk/found.mp3
studio32

Re: Opinions Wanted

Post by studio32 »

Hi,

It's pretty hard to give some good feedback.
I can say I like the piano part although it's a bit 'sharp' sometimes.
The drums sounds pretty well imho.

It's hard to tell if the voice or melody is good with hearing only the synth...

And... liking music is a matter of taste... so it have to be a song you like!

I'm not a experienced producer so find it hard to give feedback on the mix...

Maybe you can tell us which equipment and software, plugins etc. you have used for this?
ntnunk
Established Member

Post by ntnunk »

studio32 wrote: Maybe you can tell us which equipment and software, plugins etc. you have used for this?
Nothing too complex was used on this. The drums were created with Hydrogen. Everything else was recorded as MIDI into Rosegarden using my Korg Triton Le. Once I had all the various parts in Rosegarden and arranged as I wanted them I played them back one at a time through the Korg and recorded each part into Ardour as a separate track, adjusted the mix, added some compression to the drums using (I think) the C* Mono Compressor plugin, added some reverb to the whole mix with the TAP Reverbarator plug in, and mastered in JAMin.

Thanks for the feedback!
etienne
Established Member

Post by etienne »

Well done with the drums! Very good sound. I really like it, but I'm sure that a strong chorus section might well bring out something more in the song.
Another pointer: a real, live, bass guitar player (a good one!) will bring something into a song that you might feel is missing!
Don't stop! I like it already, and I know that it still needs work!
Etienne Snyman
-Composer-
http://octavepress.com