VST hosts

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

brummer

Re: VST hosts

Post by brummer »

ah savihost, that reminds me on a old Gtkdialog script-set I have wrote time ago for easy start vst plug's with savihost, dssi-vst or fst.

It will do the linking for savihost for example. . . .
I have long time not use it, but maybe one of you like to use it. Here it is (puplic domaine)
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I like to try this VST, it's an *.so file but I don't know how to run it.

BTW pianoteq seems to haven an Linux version now... http://www.pianoteq.com/try
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

for linux compiled VST (*.so files), you can use JOST. Version 0.5.4 is quite useful.
You will however need the Steinberg VST SSK vstsdk2.3.zip and unzip it in jost/vst. If the jost/vst directory does not exist when you unarchive the jost source tree, create it and only then can you unzip the SDK in there.

It sucks big time to depend on the stupid SDK but that's how it is. Linux VSTs are actually quite cool :)

For pianoteq, yeah, I forgot to mention it here : I was behind the push for the linux port ;)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

hey thorgal, push for some guitar vsts to be ported to linux too... :D
I don't know if the mda plugins that was ported to jost are available for other distros in lv2 format but some guy using my distro, Arch made them lv2... I use them with the caps plugins now and I get a better metal crunch now.
Still not as good as Juicy77 or Nick Crow's plugins but it's a start.
How do these guys get vsts to simulate amps better than we could on linux with ladspa??
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

that's not easy man! :lol:
what made the pianoteq port easy is that they had rewritten the GUI of their version 3.0 with the JUCE GUI framework. So when I "lobbied: them a bit, one of the devs told me it would only be a matter of writing an ALSA and JACK backend.

Most VSTs written for win32 are using the VSTGUI framework. This sucks.

About pianoteq, I was even more surprised to hear that the early drafts of this app were developed on linux boxes ... ;) You know, they go for the biggest market shares in the end. The dev I was in touch with told me that the linux port was "fun" to write up and that it was good for the karma ;)
So I don't think Modartt is expecting a big return on investment by going linux. Probably more for the sake of completion.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I hear ya man... now we need to help brummer get guitarix to be all that it can be... I gamed for helping him test it and I think you're doing some work with it too so we'll have a rockin' guitar amp and plugin soon.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Only get errors building JOST

Code: Select all

jost-v0.5.4/build/VST_Linux$ make CONFIG=Release
==== Building jostvst ====                                               
HostFilterComponent.cpp                                                  
In file included from ../../src/model/PluginLoader.h:50,                 
                 from ../../src/model/Host.h:35,                         
                 from ../../src/HostFilterBase.h:35,                     
                 from ../../src/HostFilterComponent.h:33,                
                 from ../../src/HostFilterComponent.cpp:29:              
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:36:26: error: audioeffectx.h: Bestand of map bestaat niet
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:37:26: error: AEffEditor.hpp: Bestand of map bestaat niet
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:82: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘VstEvents’ with no type
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:82: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token                          
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:84: error: expected `;' before ‘protected’                        
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:87: error: ‘VstMidiEvent’ does not name a type                    
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:153: error: ‘VstEvents’ has not been declared                     
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:167: error: ‘VstFileSelect’ has not been declared                 
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:168: error: ‘VstFileSelect’ has not been declared                 
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:171: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘AEffect’ with no type 
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:171: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token                         
In file included from ../../src/model/Host.h:36,                                                      
../../src/model/Transport.h:70: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘VstTimeInfo’ with no type      
../../src/model/Transport.h:70: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token                                  
../../src/model/Transport.h:76: error: expected `;' before ‘void’                                     
../../src/model/Transport.h:227: error: ‘VstTimeInfo’ does not name a type                            
make[1]: *** [../../bin/intermediate/jostvstRelease/HostFilterComponent.o] Fout 1                     
make: *** [jostvst] Fout 2                                                                            
d@debianstudio32:~/2home/jost-v0.5.4/build/VST_Linux$ LANG=C                                          
d@debianstudio32:~/2home/jost-v0.5.4/build/VST_Linux$ make CONFIG=Release                             
==== Building jostvst ====                                                                            
HostFilterComponent.cpp                                                                               
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:36:26: error: audioeffectx.h: No such file or directory           
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:37:26: error: AEffEditor.hpp: No such file or directory           
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:82: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'VstEvents' with no type
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:82: error: expected ';' before '*' token                          
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:84: error: expected `;' before 'protected'                        
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:87: error: 'VstMidiEvent' does not name a type                    
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:153: error: 'VstEvents' has not been declared                     
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:167: error: 'VstFileSelect' has not been declared
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:168: error: 'VstFileSelect' has not been declared
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:171: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'AEffect' with no type
../../src/model/plugins/VstPlugin.h:171: error: expected ';' before '*' token
In file included from ../../src/model/Host.h:36,
../../src/model/Transport.h:70: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'VstTimeInfo' with no type
../../src/model/Transport.h:70: error: expected ';' before '*' token
../../src/model/Transport.h:76: error: expected `;' before 'void'
../../src/model/Transport.h:227: error: 'VstTimeInfo' does not name a type
make[1]: *** [../../bin/intermediate/jostvstRelease/HostFilterComponent.o] Error 1
make: *** [jostvst] Error 2
brummer

Post by brummer »

audioeffectx.h -> AEffEditor.hpp -> vst_stk -> download from steinberg
unpack to ~/jost/jost-v**/vst/source/common
make
werock
Established Member

Post by werock »

For Native VSTs I use the Loomer plugins (www.loomer.co.uk) and the MDA native Linux versions. The most reliable host I have found is (and I know it's commercial software) Renoise. Rock solid. I've tried numerous times with Qtractor, but have never found my session last more than 30 mins without a crash when using native VSTs (or windows VSTs through DSSI for that matter). But then Qtractor is still in alpha.