KX mini manual

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

Re: KX mini manual

Post by danboid »

Not really. AMD release specs for most of their hardware and do help a bit with their open source drivers yet their open source drivers largely fall short of fglrx. Their open source drivers are likely as well integrated with the kernel and xorg as the intel ones but that hasn't made them superior to fglrx or as good as the Intel drivers. This is likely because Intel dedicate more manpower to their open source drivers as they don't have a closed source one but do the newbs really need to know about any of this?

I keep a close eye on Phoronix's benchmarks of the free vs non-free drivers and I think we're still some way off been able to forget about the non-free drivers for those who care about OpenGL performance and compliance.

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible. I'm confident there is no need for us to get involved in any real nitty gritty about xorg internals and the history of the Linux graphics stack and so on here at all.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Also, there is Intel's Poulsbo chipset which has awful proprietary drivers that have never worked properly under Linux. They only did a couple of PowerVR based gfx chipsets I think so they're exceptions and not the sort of stuff I want to mention in this manual.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Alright, well, I don't know enough to go further with this, so I'll leave it at that. Seems we got a functional result.

Incidentally, I can't find details but apparently there is a 13.4 more recent full release of AMD's driver. I'm going to try it and hope this issues I had before are fixed. So, we'll see if it works right with the 3.8 kernel…
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
ToddMWorth
Established Member

Post by ToddMWorth »

Guys I'm so sorry I bailed on my commitment to documentation last week. Life had other plans for me, it seems. I'll be back on deck soon. I just wanted to apologise and thank you.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

wolftune wrote:By the way, the 3.8 Kernel which is needed to fix snd-aloop issues and is planned for inclusion in KXStudio 12.04.2, (A) includes superior Nvidia FLOSS drivers, reducing the need for proprietary, and (B) the AMD Catalyst proprietary drivers only now have their beta version from March as supporting 3.8, so it could be that the whole AMD proprietary driver thing from the program is not recommended until the updates are fully available, who knows when that will be.

None of this is an issue with Intel, and so I wanted to encourage people to get Intel-based video systems if they are newly buying something.

Anyway, these issues are enough to hesitate and worry about this whole chapter. I.e. there's *some* reason to tell people to hesitate, and yet this whole mess is annoying, there's no simple answers except damnit NVidia and AMD, arg.
Just to reinforce: since I saw the updates just now, I tried again to get the proprietary AMD drivers to work. No go. Lots of searching for answers and wasted time and no luck. Some error on install / build in relation to the 3.8 low-latency kernel I have. I'm back to the FLOSS drivers. This whole situation stinks. I will try to only buy Intel graphics based computers in the future. :roll:
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Ok, sorry, I guess I will hold out hope that one day I will actually get the AMD drivers working on this machine. I was blaming the whole proprietary aspect (which probably still deserves some blame). Anyway, I don't know how much of a difference they'll make anyway, although video on this right now is really choppy. I agree, falk, please don't rush. I want to see a stable and complete system, not a rushed one. :mrgreen:
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

danboid wrote:It does here - in the top right of the page.

You must mean something else but that seems to be what you're desecribing Thad?
That was there all the time? Really? ...Oh heck, I soooo stupid!

Thanks and sorry for the interruption.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

All excellent edits! I appreciate your clarification about not connecting to the internet when installing, that is indeed opposite of what I had assumed based on what the installer says to do.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

That's awesome!
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I'm looking forward to reading your edits F but I've not got time now - will check them out later. Thanks for notifying me!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I really should've been out of the house already but I couldn't resist having a quick look at the updates, only to notice that the actual link to the install instructions and how things differ for KXStudio have disappeared for its installation page! Really not good but something I can easily fix later. Can you explain how or why this has happened, wolftune or F?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Sorry - my bad! I was in a rush to get out and forgot I'd moved things around! The bit I thought missing was just further down the page, thats all! :)

I've made a couple of notable edits to the installation chapter including rewriting the intro and moving the recommendation to NOT be connected to the net during installation to the actual running the installer bit, further down where I think it belongs. I have also done some edits to the wineasio page - some nice additions there F, thanks!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

F:

I've just looked at your mirror of the KX docs. Apart from it needing a refresh after my latest round of edits and the Cadence screenshot in the Cadenc intro chapter being out-of-date because it doesn't show the CPU freq scaling drop-down, it is looking good!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I've just made a few edits to tidy up the 'Free Software' page - mainly to the descriptions of non-free software thats included.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I've just made a few SPAG corrections to the non-free drivers page and noticed that the code block text is unreadable on F's mirror of the video drivers page as its white text on a white background.