KX mini manual

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

Re: KX mini manual

Post by danboid »

Hi wolftune!

Thanks for your edits and the new bits on PPAs and cleaning up unneeded packages which I have now edited. I should've added a bit on PPA but I don't realy deem the cleaning up that necessary to know. Now that you've written it though I'm happy to keep it in as it is worth knowing and its not scary stuff.

I don't see the problem you're seeing with the two hyphens here (Firefox under KX) though?
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

danboid wrote: I don't see the problem you're seeing with the two hyphens here (Firefox under KX) though?
The last thing on the page, it renders as:

sudo dpkg ­—configure -a

but should be
sudo dpkg --configure -a

The two hyphens are combined into a dash by the wiki, so the command is wrong
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Also, I was thinking about adding a mention about Muon Discover. But first, will it be included it 12.04.2 already or have to be installed? I think it is very newbie-friendly to tell people about Muon Discover and how to use it to explore packages.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
tbritton
Established Member

Post by tbritton »

Ahhh - I think I shall make the power-of-two ones colored green, then, to emphasize their being the best choices in most situations.

Thanks for getting me to see what this meant - I was reading "power of 2" as "divisible by 2" and was not getting the point at all!

The article here will be updated with the colors. The wiki doesn't allow colors, but I emphasized the note at the top concerning this.

[Edit - I just made the "most legal" settings bold on the wiki version and emphasized their being the most ideal at the top of the listing.]

http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php ... _interface

Terry
danboid wrote:Hi Terry!

I went through most of the suggested settings on that list but in the end I discovered that I got the best performance using the usual power of 2 buffer sizes 'recommended' by Cadence and 'enforced' by qjackctl (without editing config files, I think) and I've also heard of some plugins having difficulty with non power of 2 buffer sizes.

Thanks for the suggestion!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

The last chapter on installing video drivers is now done - yippee! :)

http://www.wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku ... eo_drivers
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Yep - thats all I intended to cover.

It must only be 15-20 sides of A4 - I can't believe how long its took me to write so little but I'm very proud of it nonetheless.

Big thanks to wolftune, F and everyone else who has made suggestions and corrections along the way!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

NP F!

Let me know when you've done your edits please!
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Made some edits again, and once again I'm sure there's room for improvement.

At some point, I'll go over my own notes and see what's missing from the manual overall and whether it makes sense to include or not so much.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Hi Wolftune!

I'm happy for you to look over your notes to see if anything else can be added elsewhere but I've reverted your edits to the drivers section. Excuse my bluntness but I think you made a real rambling hash of the introductory section and I don't see what use the extra link to the site you added for more info on the non-free ATi driver is? If that site contains genuinely useful info that could help a newb set up their ATI/AMD gfx driver then maybe we should include but I don't want to include links for their own sake and vague stuff like 'look on the ATi or Nvidia sites for more help' is no use either, sorry!
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Is it possible to have a small block with chapter headings/links at the top (or bottom) of each chapter? That would make navigation a lot easier.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Dan,

The problem is that for some systems the fglrx or fglrx-updates form the "Additional Drivers" program are not adequate. As annoying as it is to do the extra work, the AMD Catalyst drivers from their website are sometimes the solution. The link I added clearly describes step-by-step ways to deal with each thing and the issues with different versions and different distro versions.

My own system had a problem where the proprietary drivers cause the screen to never come back after resume for suspend. This is fixed in a more recent update but is not included in the Additional Drivers program, it must be downloaded from the AMD website. That's pretty serious, and anyway, I'm currently using the FLOSS drivers anyway because the official drivers wouldn't work right with my dual monitor setup, basically just not as well integrated with KDE.

I was rambling partly struggling with how to advise people given this awkwardness.

Anyway, I admit my edits earlier today were rambling and not ideal. While I'd have preferred if you'd removed stuff you thought was rambling rather than just revert (because that loses other non-rambling improvements), I'm not going to take any offense. I was actually in the middle of something else while doing the edits and it was a little sloppy. I'd hoped you or others would improve from there.

Anyway, I've now made new edits to include the more valuable of my edits and did things different to try again. I left out some of the other stuff. The AMD link is appropriate I think (and please don't blindly revert the wording improvements in the first part this time in order to delete that if you still don't agree).

The other thing I wanted (although I haven't found a way so I just gave up) was to link to the basic Ubuntu Community stuff that brings up issues for each system's hardware. It was useful to me as it quickly clarified the specific workarounds and recommendations for my system. But I couldn't find a link that was straightforward enough to make it easy to talk about this in the manual :P

So again, my new edits are much more concise. Sorry for being sloppy before. Thanks for your patience. I think it's better now anyway.
Last edited by wolftune on Thu May 02, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

It does here - in the top right of the page.

You must mean something else but that seems to be what you're desecribing Thad?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

wolftune:

Thanks for explaing why you included that link.

These edits were certainly better than your previous attempts so I've mainly left them in place but I have re-edited the intro bit again myself just to keep the language as simple as we can make it without being too vague or over-simplifying stuff. In this case, I think its sufficent to refer to them as unofficial drivers, no need to refer to them as the FLOSS, unofficial drivers or get into kernel integration if its more info than required IMO.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Well, the issue is kinda baffling if there's no justification included. I wanted to emphasize FLOSS because there are some advantages, politically and technically. Because they are FLOSS they can be more easily integrated and are easier for the community to update and deal with. I think the fact that they are FLOSS is as important as the fact that they are unofficial. Maybe there's a simpler or better way to put this?

Also, I think it is important to say that Intel drivers are ideal in this sense. I.e. with Intel drivers all is good, yay, no issues. I just want that message clear and succinct. I felt that saying that they were FLOSS and therefore able to be integrated into Linux was a super-succinct way of making this clear.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

By the way, the 3.8 Kernel which is needed to fix snd-aloop issues and is planned for inclusion in KXStudio 12.04.2, (A) includes superior Nvidia FLOSS drivers, reducing the need for proprietary, and (B) the AMD Catalyst proprietary drivers only now have their beta version from March as supporting 3.8, so it could be that the whole AMD proprietary driver thing from the program is not recommended until the updates are fully available, who knows when that will be.

None of this is an issue with Intel, and so I wanted to encourage people to get Intel-based video systems if they are newly buying something.

Anyway, these issues are enough to hesitate and worry about this whole chapter. I.e. there's *some* reason to tell people to hesitate, and yet this whole mess is annoying, there's no simple answers except damnit NVidia and AMD, arg.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar