Impulse convolver/guitarix

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Impulse convolver/guitarix

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey guys, Iwas looking at some swh-plugins and it has an Impulse convolver consisting of some amps impulses. I tried it, it sounded amazing but major latency issue.

I email the dev and he said because it's old that's why it causes issues with newer pcs.
He said tha maybe down the road if he has time, he will make a lv2 version which can load IR files as a LADSPA plugin.

I think Thorgal was asking about that.
The dev also said that if someone wanted to tackle the code to go ahed but of course, notify him.

I thing that would be perfect for guitarix as part of a guitar chain of effects or trying other reverbs for mixing etc on the fly.

Here's the link:
http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/la ... tml#id1199
It's Steve Harris.
Can anyone do this? I have no knowledge of writing apps.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Impulse convolver/guitarix

Post by funkmuscle »

was this a strange request? No replies... LADSPA is linux vst right. Now that Ardour uses vst and Qtractor which is more stable with vst are available, I tend to use Qtractor to load keFIR, an IR file loader... This saves so much time compare to having multiple terminals opened for jconv....
Impulse Convolver is the same a keFIR but you can't load different IR files. Steve Harris said it's possible if it was lv2... Maybe no ones interested... jconv works better than any vst I've tried but the vsts have the advantage of quick loading IR files, most in realtime...
studio32

Post by studio32 »

It's not always easy to find an developer who can do the job for you in a short time. Developers are spare at this forum board. Try the LAD mailinglist too...
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

oh yeah, I forgot about LAD... I did find a dev on facebook but he paniced at the last minute saying stuff about lawyers and apps breaking the system... Sounded more like he was talking about Windows...
thanx studio32.
brummer

Post by brummer »

I thing that would be perfect for guitarix as part of a guitar chain of effects or trying other reverbs for mixing etc on the fly.
Hi (back from the journy)

I think allready about a IR engine with realtime access controlls.
But first, I have speak with Fons about the jconv setting GUI,
he say it 's okay to make it a stand allone version.
So I will break it out first.

After that I will start to rework my IR engine to add file loading. . .

brummer
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

dude, if you can make yours file loading with low latency as jconv and make it a LADSPA plugin, I'm doin' a happy dance....hehehehe
that is great news....
the distortion on guitarix has been crackly lately...
brummer

Post by brummer »

no, not as ladspa plugin, that will be a guitarix inbuild effect.

When you use overdrive and distortion, you get better results when you set trigger and vibrato in the distortion widget to 1.

Try out latest svn (from today), I have switch back to the one client strukture for midi and audio,
guitarix work's now prop with jackdmp.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey brummer, in Ardour, there is a plugin called guitarixIR. that's the one I'm talking about. In Ardour, guitarix shows up in all separate parts in the plugin manager.
I think that's great. So in that case, guitarixIR once you make able to load IR files should work the the vsts that can do the same right?

I think that would be a great aid for linux on using reverb IR files. That way is so much faster than jconv and less work...
will try to latest svn...

I think that for it to load IR files as a plugin, it with have to be lv2 or something with it own gui and not the one that Ardour gives it.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey brummer, I asked Nick Crow, the dev of those great sounding free vst amp-sims for a few pointers and he said to start with the caps plugins. He is familiar with them because they were ported to windows(like I'm surprised)...

He said the reason some don't like the caps is because they only sound good at 441. He said we need to have it adjust to any like if you're using 48000, it should adjust.
He said that was the best place to start to get a real great amp tone.
brummer

Post by brummer »

nice hint, funkmuscle

I will have a look at this,. . .
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, he said get a nice fuzzy tube like distortion, not buzzy. Then he said to run it through an IR file.
He said the key is the tube like tone with fuzz, not buzz.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

hey brummer, I also found out that these vsts of ampsims are made of IR files from the preamp section of real amps. These guys make the IR and then build the amp around by adding filters, etc...
brummer

Post by brummer »

I have bump out a new release today, with some overwork in the preamp section. Isn't a IR file or stuff like that, it's a normalise unit with distortion amount, try it. It's the svn version 124 from today.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeahh, I noticed the latest... didn't play with it yet but I've installed it.

Arie from aradaz vst sent me this email.:
You could start by studying these:

ccrma.stanford.edu/~dtyeh/papers/pubs.html
users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampsmain.htm

And then use IR for simulating the cabinet using FFT convolution.

The most important part of making a virtual guitar amp is by using our own hearing. And tweak the tone using a standard filtering such as biquad, onepole etc, just try to experiment.

Thanks,
--Arie--
brummer

Post by brummer »

I dont wont use IR files for the amp part. It's nice as extra, but not for the main amp.
What I try to do is to create a oscilate tube. That meen feed a tube simulation with a FIR filter drived by a ocilator. I have create thutch a unit and make first test, it be very promissing.
But now, first torgal have give me a big nuit with his change buffersize patch, my interess therfor is wakeup, so I wont to do that first.