KXStudio live?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Havoc
Established Member

KXStudio live?

Post by Havoc »

Booted KXStudio as a live dvd and it looks ok, but everything appears on desktop 1 and from the look of it I'm on some other desktop. But there is no desktop switcher and if I take a look at the installed widgets, the desktop switcher is installed. Nice background, but how do you actually do something with it?
Havoc
Established Member

Re: KXStudio live?

Post by Havoc »

No, I can't show a screenshot as I cannot get any program to actually show up on the screen. I get the background, taskbar and 2 icons. If I start an application (cadence, konsole, dolphin) there comes a field on the taskbar. If I hover the mouse over that it says "xxx on desktop 1". And if I right-click I get the usual stuff but not the "move to desktop" like I get with KDE on my usual pc.

I do know my way around in KDE but then I have a normal desktop switcher.

I wonder if it is this pc specially. It's a mini-itx and has both a dvi and vga. I'm using the vga right now as I don't have a fitting adapter for the dvi. Could it be that it shows the desktop on the second connection?
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

Ok, I borrowed another screen and connected that to the dvi output of the pc. Now it "works". Well it boots and I get Dolphin and Konsole to appear on the screen. Funny thing is that both screen display the same thing. And there isn't a desktop switcher.

But the biggest issue is that I find no way to start Jack... I got the impression I had to use Cadence (*) for that but it doesn't even start. Strange for an audio distro that that isn't "simplified". Have to find something else then as it has to run this weekend.

(*) Cadence is a rather bizarre name for an audio application for me. I come from an electronics background and Cadence is one of the big EDA suites. Veeeeeerrrry expensive.
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

Havoc wrote:(*) Cadence is a rather bizarre name for an audio application for me. I come from an electronics background and Cadence is one of the big EDA suites. Veeeeeerrrry expensive.
How that could be weird ? :wink: : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_%28music%29
| DoosC |
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

Even weirder, one of their other softwares is called Catia. Another big name 3D mechanical design package.

Sad that is all doesn't work. Going to try out avlinux, hopefully that turns out better.