Essential information for new users

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nathan
Site Admin

Essential information for new users

Post by nathan »

We are certainly grateful and honored to have new Linux users, as well seasoned gurus that contribute to our community. If you're just getting into creating music on Linux, you'll want to check out these resources before you jump in a start posting.

First, head on over to the About Linux Musicians section. You'll find out the basics about this site and what we're all about, including our Our Mission Statement, Values, and Vision, as well as the ever important Forum Posting Guidelines.

After you register, consider automatically logging in every time you visit. This way, we can all see when others are online...it really adds to the sense community. Feel free to also create a custom signature with information like your country of origin, instrument(s) played, and musical interests...you can also upload a custom avatar, if you like.

We encourage you to share your music with us in the Original Scores & Recordings forum! Once you've posted a few times, feel free to join The Rehearsal Room as well.

Welcome!
Jeff Schwob

Re: Essential information for new users

Post by Jeff Schwob »

Thank you, Nathan for your welcoming me to the Linux Musicians community. I feel that I am a seasoned musician and songwriter but I am relatively new to Linux. I think that I have more to offer to a community that is based an open source philosophy. Since I am using Linux programs I feel that it is only fair that I contribute to a community that understands the philosophy of freedom.
lion2132
Established Member

Post by lion2132 »

Hello Nathan and others, I have been having trouble hearing ay sound on my computer when running Linux. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone help? Thanks! :D
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

lion2132 wrote:Hello Nathan and others, I have been having trouble hearing ay sound on my computer when running Linux. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone help? Thanks! :D
Hi Lion,

Thanks for your question! It'd probably be better to start a new topic for your problem. Could you also describe in more detail what you've already tried?
pepper.mitten
Established Member

Post by pepper.mitten »

thanks for the forum. its been many years since i have had a music production computer. i started out with impulse tracker on a 486 and moved up to a some sort of pentium with sound forge and cakewalk and cubase and ableton... you know all that expensive stuff. the old 486 ended up with slackware on it, but somewhere along the line i stopped making music.

now i am hoping to build a machine with decent audio capabilities and get back into music production. since i havn't run anything but linux in about 10 years, im really glad to find this forum. so again, thanks for being here.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

FAQ says:

Why does my post need to be approved?
The board administrator may have decided that posts in the forum you are posting to require review before submission. It is also possible that the administrator has placed you in a group of users whose posts require review before submission. Please contact the board administrator for further details.

What is actual status, is whole forum moderated, or is it just newbies posts checked? If it is newbie-problem, does fixing it require some actions, or just few more posts?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

falkTX wrote:it was a counter-measure against the huge amount of spam we got here.
things seem to be slightly better with the phpbb update, but there's still new spammers every 1-2 days. :(
Yes, I perfectly understand reason and I'm not questioning this procedure. I just want to know if this is for all / should I do something?

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

falkTX wrote:It's only the 1st post for new users that needs to be approved, at least in theory.
After your account has had an approved post, you should be able to post without issues.
I have now 1 new thread, and dozen replys. Editing my own post results message 'your post will be reviewed' or something like that.

noone

Post by noone »

Good evening my friends! I'm 26 years old from Greece. I play classical guitar and started piano lessons a few months ago. Although I am not a Linux user, I'm planning to begin a project with a single board computer like raspberry pi, odroid etc and I seek informations. I like the idea of open source os and software and that's the reason I want to learn more about linux. My projects goal is a budget and portable music station for midi recording, editing sheets, music notation etc.
Glad to meet you and have a nice musical week
White Wraith
Established Member

Post by White Wraith »

What do you think of Bitwig for Linux?
#mellogang
#slushitup

:^)
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

White Wraith wrote:What do you think of Bitwig for Linux?
Their MIDI implementation is awful. Apart from that, it's very good.

I see other problems in it, but a lot more on the personal side.
wjl
Established Member

Hi from Germany

Post by wjl »

Hi all,

new user here - not so new to Linux, or to music (since I've just turned 60).

But ok - since music "rested" a few years, I'm pretty new to the "make music with Linux" stuff. I'm on Debian 8, using Ardour with a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen interface - which works fine out of the proverbial box.

Living in Germany and married to a Malaysian.

Nice to - virtually - "meet" all of you here.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
polkorgan

Post by polkorgan »

My name is Don Jand I play a Robert Morton 3/13 Pipe organ at the Polk (1200 seat) Theatre in Lakeland Florida (USA) for pre-show movies . The organ has about 1600 PIPES that operate from 2 blowers (7 1/2 HP each) and is 99 % Pneumatically operated.

I have recently installed a 16 note Midi System to provide addition sounds such a Piano etc, It works freat..

Now I need help and guidance to add a Hydrogen drum machine using a Raspberry 3 (that I can hide inside the walls.

The organ is traditional (Circa 1927) so I cannot have any visible modern day equipment , Such as a computer.

I am 89 years old, grew up in electronics, but I do not have tge benifit of your schooling

I am in dire need of some help from you people of the younger generation on this project.

Selection and programing are the issues. Is there any way you people could help me with the software ?
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Hi Don. I don't have the solution for you but this is quite an interesting project and I hope you will share your progress here.

We have a great Wurlitzer in the Paramount out here in Oakland, CA and it's quite a thrill to hear it in action.
listenable at c6a7.org
beto
Established Member

Post by beto »

Hi, Don! I've been experimenting with the Raspberry Pi for music, and I would love to help.

When you say "Selection and programing are the issues", what do you mean? Do you mean selecting a drumkit preset, or programming the patterns? How are you planning to work with hydrogen, playing live or playing recorded patterns?