KX mini manual

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

Re: KX mini manual

Post by danboid »

I've got iodelay working on my Scarlett 2i4 now - turns out I just didn't have 'Direct Monitor' fully set to playback which results in highly variable latency readings. Thanks for pointing that out male!

The combined extra loopback latency of my USB device is 320 frames so setting the latencies to 160 knocks a millisecond or so off my latency and so the process seems more worthwhile than when I tried it for my onboard audio.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I'm hoping to get the Claudia and Latency chapters done today then that will be it for the CruX of the KX manual - the remaining bits are pretty generic to (Ubuntu) Linux.

For the Claudia chapter, I plan only to cover the very basics ie how to make JACK connections, the main ports and saving studios. F or wolftune can tack on anything to do with multiple studios and rooms although F may decide to save those details for the real Claudia manual?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

OK, that sounds good to me. I look forward to seeing your vids!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

New chapter done!

Creating a simple LADISH studio using Claudia

http://www.wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku ... dia_studio
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

As soon as I posted the link I realised I hadn't given instructions on connecting qtractors output to the Hardware Playback ports hence thats also missing in the screenshot. Might be a good idea to add that in and replace the screen shot too eh? :/
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Noice won Mr F!

(you betta! ;) )
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

The one question that arose whilst I was writing this latest chapter was - why is it that Claudia sometimes automatically creates a new studio when you open it, sometimes not? I can't find the option to toggle this.

Good news with Carla and the LV2s!
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Dan, I'm a wiki wimp, and not comfortable with wiki editing. Can I suggest a couple of edits.
Catia cannot save LADISH studios
suggest just Catia cannot save connections

reasoning: They are not actually "LADISH" connections or studios, they are just, in Catia, connections.

next: Can I suggest a Jack Configuration subheading? Jack can be configured and controlled in either Catia or Claudia, and the most important thing about this is that jack configuration in Claudia is saved with a studio. Thus, different settings, and even different interfaces, can be saved with the studios that need them. The usual example given is a low-latency setup for dubbing, and a higher-latency setup for other work. Different sample rates might be appropriate to different projects too: for example, I do my listening at 44.1, because most of my music is, but I record at higher res (I can't hear the difference, but hey, perhaps someone can).
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Thanks for the constructive feedback Thad - they're both good points. I was thinking about mentioning the settings so now I've adjusted the last paragraph to include that and I've also changed Catia's description.

I'll prob not do anything else (including adding in the missing connections and updating the screenshot) to that page now until F and wolftune have edited it as they see fit.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Another new, but tiny, chapter - Minimizing Latency

http://www.wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku ... ng_latency
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

danboid wrote:I'll prob not do anything else (including adding in the missing connections and updating the screenshot) to that page now until F and wolftune have edited it as they see fit.
Sure! You responded very quickly to my suggestions :) : I was thinking that, eg, Falk might be telling you if I was actually wrong about anything before implementing them
Another new, but tiny, chapter - Minimizing Latency

http://www.wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku ... ng_latency
Aiming a newbs, you might mention here that latency and stability/lack-of-xruns is a trade off or a compromise, and it is not always necessary to work for absolute minimum latency.

By the way, I don't need this, but might play with it one day just for the record (and maybe this is a typical newb question :o)... when you use jack_iodelay, do you connect both channels: left-out to left-in, right-out to right in?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

F:

Yes, that and having flash player open in a browser are two of the most common xrun generators I'd say. I'm not sure this info belongs in a chapter about latency though - maybe we should change the name of the chapter to 'JACK Perfermance tips' or something more generic and bundle all such hints in?

Thad:

The point you make about 'latency and stability/lack-of-xruns is a trade off or a compromise' is already covered earlier and It has been stressed multiple times that optimising JACK for low latencies is only required for those doing overdubbing.

jack_iodelay only has 1 input and 1 output channel.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

We can just change the latest chapters title to 'Minimizing latency and xruns' then we can squeeze more tips into that chapter without being OT
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I've edited the new chapter so its now called 'Minimizing latency and xruns' and its where we shall put any xrun killing tips such as the ones we mentioned here earlier - I just thought of another actually...
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Just a note of clarification (should be added somewhere to the docs maybe):

Latency is involved in both the latency for live feedback of your input and in the compensation when overdubbing, but these are totally separate practically. One relates to your experience while playing live. The other relates to things being adjusted after the fact in order to compensate and match timings.

At least one of the comments just now by someone mixed these up. Doing the latency compensation settings has NOTHING at all to do with xruns.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com