guitar amp/cab sims with impulse response loading

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

brummer

Re: guitar amp/cab sims with impulse response loading

Post by brummer »

mmm,

I have rework it, hope it work's now for you. Here it work without a prob.Only it is not posible to load wav-files with whitespace in the name.
I have also rework the save prestet funktion, now the jconv settings will be saved with the preset and reload with it. It's easy now to switch between diferent jconvsettings. You can save/load the preset with jconv running.
It`s include also a version check now.

greats brummer
Last edited by brummer on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

should I remove the old one?
brummer

Post by brummer »

no, this version will remove the "no more working configfiles".

Also rework is the autoconnection funktion for jconv, no it will switch between guitarix_out and the connected outputport (system, ardour, . . .)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

installed and running. It sound great for blues and jazz but the distortion is a bit muddy. I really like the bluesy jazzy tone when clean. I can use that.
Is it hard to get the distorted amp tone on linux? I notice that the vst plugins do great jobs of getting a distorted preamp tone but I have yet to hear it on linux.
I'm still playing with guitarix clean tone and I love it with the reverb.
brummer

Post by brummer »

nice to hear, do you play around a little with saved guitarix preset's to reload the jconv settings?

Yea, the distortion, I need to over work it a bit.

greats brummer
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

not yet, I'm loving the clean tone. dude, you get some tube like distortion like amplitube and you'll have a winner...

just tried to save and it works...
brummer

Post by brummer »

A new release is out:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=637613

I have rework the distortion and clean up the code.
changlog:guitarix (0.02.7-1) unstable; urgency=low
* add suport for jconv
* use jack_capture_gui2 to create the comandline for jack_capture
* add preamp
* change preset handling to save by name include the jconv settings
* rework the distortion funktion
* add all effekts to the ladspa plugin
* add versioncheck to make sure the saved presets work with new version

regards brummer
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

brummer, you did it dude... a nice sounding distortion..... I can use this. you may need some kinda documents to explain the jconv and the overall useage. I am loving this.
Now, you need a gui that looks like an amp for that extra cool...hehehehe!!!
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

I compiled guitarix but have had no time to use it yet. I just would like to know: what you are supposed to load for jconv to work is the IR file (.wav), not the jconv script. I am asking because a quick glance at the file browser showed no hint as to what should be loaded. I will experiment with guitarix later this week.
Ah yeah, a last thing : what about the offset and delay parameters in jconv. I did not see them in guitarix. Also, remember that you can load two different IR files, one per channel if you declare 2 jack channels in a jconv script, although I have not tried it (any use case ?). I am not sure this is reflected in your implementation.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I just loaded the IR file, not the script, then I adjusted the jconv gain.
brummer

Post by brummer »

Hi

Yes, there is note at the top of the file browser, please "select a *wav file". And all other files are hiden, so you can only choose a *.wav file. :)

I would like to make it simple in handling and light in CPU usage.
guitarix use the impulse copy funktion from jconv to save memory and CPU useage, thats why you only can choose one wav file per preset.The second guitarix:out Channel is also just a copy from the other Channel.
For simple useage resons you cant choose the offset and the delay. By the way, I never need this, it's, I think, for realy special acustic useage, same with the different Impulse Response for 2 Channel's.
The only setting I need is the gain. :mrgreen: . . . oh yea and the partion size to solved Xrun's.

So I hope you have fun with guitarix

regards brummer

@ funkmuscle
hey, thanks for feedback all the time, that help's :D
yea I will bring back collors again to guitarix, I have some different styles here and cant decide with one to use.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

hey brummer, no problem. Hey, can you design a gui that looks like an amp head? You know, with knobs and grill like a Marshall or Boogie?
Just thought that would look cool. Not neccesary...
brummer

Post by brummer »

mmm, not now, I would like to make guitarix a host(LADSPA, LV2, DSSI, . . ). It is a lot work to create a nice Ampface and when I add the host this will change the face and the creation is lost. For now I play with gtkrc style files like this one.
The useage is simple, just unpack it somwere and start the included startscript to enjoy the "PUNKFACE"

When guitarix ritch the version 1.0 it will presumably get a own GUI like you sugested
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

brummer, your work is improving :)

I have a few comments :
- the interface to jconv is not working properly. This is due to the template you use for the jconv script. I tried the jconv script generated by guitarix directly into jconv. It didn't work. The syntax that works for me is the following :

Code: Select all

# Where jconv will find its IR file:
/cd /home/thorgal/music/soundbanks/Convolution/Lexicon/Halls/

#                in  out   partition    maxsize
# -----------------------------------------------
/convolver/new    1    2         64     120000

#               in out  gain  delay  offset  length  chan      file  
# -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/impulse/read    1  1   0.1     0       0       0     1    LIVE_great_hall.wav
/impulse/read    1  2   0.1     0       0       0     2    LIVE_great_hall.wav
Regardless of the comment lines, you can see the difference with your template.

- guitarix output gain :
allow a tying of the left and right channels when adjusting the output gain. You have to adjust each, which is not so convenient most of the time

- output level : depending on the effect you select, the output level will vary A LOT. The cry-baby channel will definitely blow the 0dB line.

- distorsion : it does not sound bad at all. But it thins out the bass range. Try a clean set up with a lot of bass, then turn on the distorsion. The bass is quite reduced.

This was after a quick try, so I don't garanty I remember all accurately.
How about adding the GVerb (1 in, 2 outs) ? it would be nice but maybe it has too many parameters ? I think the freeverb setting is not satisfying enough, too artificial. But that's probably just my taste ;)

By the way, I use jconv 0.2.0
brummer

Post by brummer »

Hi torgal

What do you meen with it did not work ? Isn't jconv start and load the impulsefile ? Here it work without a prob, also when I use the jconv_set.conf file direkt with jconv. Yes, I use the /impulse/copy funktion to save memory and CPU useage.
I can add a settings for jconv to adjust the max mem size if it is that what you meen. I use also jconv 0.2.0. Please let me know what setting it is witch dont work for you, /impulse/copy or max mem size or what ?
- guitarix output gain :
allow a tying of the left and right channels when adjusting the output gain. You have to adjust each, which is not so convenient most of the time
The outputgain adjustment is for both channels, guitarix is a monoamplifier, the channels switch befor the balance slider, the output gain is adjust befor the feedback/feedforward sliders, they are befor the balance slider. So you can set the inputgain, with that you set the influence from the effekts (exept the feedforward/feedback sliders) and then you adjust the outputgain to your needs. With feedforward(add) and feedback(sub) you can give more presure to the sound.
- output level :
it is depent on the input gain and not easy to adjust it for all effekts at the same level for etch gain set.( The effekts use different multiplicator's depend on the inputgain. I will try to improve it better. :)
- distorsion :
yes, I set a low- and highpass befor the distortion to reduct the bass distortion, maybe I can add a bass-boost afterwards.
How about adding the GVerb. . . I think the freeverb setting is not satisfying enough
Yes, I reduced the posible settings, maybe to mutch, I think about adding more posible settings, on the other hand I like it simple, sooo . . . mmmm. . .

realy thanks for your review, please let me know what setting for jconv you meen I have to change that it work for you. I will give attention to the bassline in distortion and look what settings I add for freeverb (maybe I add a expert settings widget for etch effekt, I often think about that)

regards brummer