Studio 13.37 is out!

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

l0wt3ch
Established Member

Re: Studio 13.37 is out!

Post by l0wt3ch »

falkTX wrote:for anyone wondering if this is legit or not... l0wt3ch is actually slowpick too (same person, 2 different nicks).
they are just trying to keep some conversation to draw people's attention to this.
LOL!

Are you really that desperate and jealous, falkTX? Now you really look ridiculous!

I'm sure the moderator can confirm that Slowpick and I are separate individuals. You know, considering that we live in different countries and everything. :lol:
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Well, I have my eye on a lot in Fort Fraser, so I can fish and hunt,
do the roots and berries thing etc, if Obama gets re-elected :shock: :lol:
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

falkTX wrote:for anyone wondering if this is legit or not... l0wt3ch is actually slowpick too (same person, 2 different nicks).
they are just trying to keep some conversation to draw people's attention to this.
Actually, I came here out of pitty for guitar playin' fools at GAM who sometimes tried linux.
Saw they were trying all kinds of nonsense, hoped I could spare a few
from self mutilation. Somehow stumbled upon this motly crew :)

My advice? Stick to coding, your net forensics are pathetic.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

l0wt3ch wrote: While it does come with all the features an advanced user like Slowpick would appreciate, the nice thing about Studio 13.37 is you don't have to be "leet" to use it!
Actually, I'm more like a binary wrecking ball with a search engine, than an expert,
as proved by my trail of misinformation and assumptions above. But I'll know more in May,
than April, so I remain hopeful. :)

It did boot nicely in an unguarded laptop that was nearby, the innards of which
are nothing at all like my old egg-crate computer 8)
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

Much has been written about Microsoft's use of FUD in the software industry, but as you can see there is much more hostility from those who are supposedly "the good guys" in the Linux community.

Not only do we have a huge group of people who refuse to pay for anything, no matter how reasonable the price, and react with hostility to anyone trying to start an open source business, but we also have pathetic egomaniacs who think they're somebodies because they wrote some obscure program or something, and attack out of jealousy.

(Not to mention the self-appointed GPL lawyers and school-aged wannabe "reviewers" lol.)
brummer

Post by brummer »

Last edited by brummer on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

'Ignore, it's just not worth it' would have been a better text for you @brummer and others
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

brummer wrote:fuck off
Can we moderate this out please?
brummer

Post by brummer »

raboof wrote:
brummer wrote:fuck off
Can we moderate this out please?
well, it's just a picture, anyhow, it's edited to your pleasure.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

It's better to let people know the truth. The old version
was more honest.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I once accused lowlife, or lowtech, or whatever name he wants to use today of being slowpick and was told by board admins to back off because it probably wasn't true. But there is documented evidence on other message boards of him signing up with multiple tags, logging in through proxy's and doing exactly what u accused him of. In my original investigation of Studio 4 last year I found that it's not a scam in that there is a real product for sale, but you definitely get the sense of being in the presence of a con-artist!

And for those saying not worth the time. I pray that no linux newb falls into the trap of paying for something they could easily get for free elsewhere. 5 years ago I bought a copy of Studio2Go(a no defunct commercial linux distro for audio work) because at the time there weren't any really good tweaked distros that just worked for me the way I wanted, and being a newb at the time, I just couldn't get what I needed. But in this day and age when you have many projects that are actively advancing the linux ecosystem overall, why would you pay a con-artist that's only furthering his own ends and actually giving the community a bad name.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

"Probably" ? :lol: And for the record, the mess at the puppy forum was
instigated by a stupid and disgruntled windoze user, and various admins ineptitude.
That user has gone on to another location at least once, starting more trouble, with similar
divisiveness the result.

The price of Studio 1337, minus the usb stick, is 3 hours minimum wage, for an
integrated media OS, not just shovelware. I have V3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, and all work well.

The real con is shouting at linux newbies that 'all will be well', just thrash your brain silly
with each new buntu release, each perfect system update, each mind blowing new kernel,
and then whispering in the shadows, 'oh, that hardware won't work, that software isn't compatible :twisted:

If you think the work is trivial, ask Gmac, Fernando, Lump, Paul Davis, They know.
Then do it better yourself.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

slowpick wrote:The real con is shouting at linux newbies that 'all will be well', just thrash your brain silly
with each new buntu release, each perfect system update, each mind blowing new kernel,
and then whispering in the shadows, 'oh, that hardware won't work, that software isn't compatible :twisted:
I would like to know how the kernel in ANY other system is magicly going to make hardware compatible. The kernel for Studio <insert number here> is more compatible than the one attached to AV Linux, Ubuntu Studio, Tango Studio, etc is?

The only merit I can give this project is that it's the first non-Debian based multimedia distro to come out in recent years with the packages that people want. The only problem is that if people know what they want for packages they're probably versed enough to do it themselves. On the other hand, build a distro on a distro that isn't known for being a multimedia distro, and you've limited the support user base. You only have the one developer of this paid distro to help you out when you want a package that's not as easily installed. Most projects release an ubuntu/debian binary followed by a fedora RPM, then maybe something for Arch AUR. So either you have to be good at compiling from source(not likely if you actually paid for a bunch of free software) or you are stuck to the support of one person rather than a community.

I'm sure a handful of these distros have sold because as P.T. Barnum so elequently put,"There's a sucker born every minute." I just feel bad for the people that buy it that could actually get all of the same packages and more in a widely supported system.
Jayguitarman
Established Member

Post by Jayguitarman »

:D Hello,
First, let me say, I am not l0wt3ch, nor is slowpick..
This is me:
http://www.theplpd.webs.com/
http://www.okielinux.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/jayguitarman
I am a Puppy Linux Dev, and a Musician..
I am the creator of the Linux Photo Artists Studio, or P.A.W., the Buddapup series, and MultiPup, amongst many things.. I know full well the effort that goes into this kind of work..

Truth be told, l0wt3ch can come off a bit "abrasive" sometimes, and we have had a row or to in the past..
He can at times be quite arrogant and self righteous, even insulting.. In other words, a normal human being. The one fact I could never deny was the quality of his work.. I`ll be getting back to that.. 8)

I
pray that no linux newb falls into the trap of paying for something they could easily get for free elsewhere.
Good luck with that one.. Statements like that show the lack of knowledge involved..
Have you ever compared Studio 4/1337 side by side with the others? I have..
Do you truly understand how being Puppy based, and hence running in ram, effects this type of software?? Do you grasp the effort to compile ALL of this stuff against its own RT kernel??
(And Yes, it matters...)
To get a running jack on boot? To transfer and sequence between various software and DAW components.. I doubt it.. I do, having done it with PAW for graphics, which is much easier.. How much is time and frustration worth?
Anyone can D/L something from "multiverse", it is the integration that matters..
Good work is good work...
And Studio 13.37 is excellent work..
Use it and then comment...

As for the GPL issue..
Sale is a moot point, ask Stallman.. Or R.H.E.L....
As for providing source, or access to it..
1. Why are Musicians arguing the GPL? Of all people, "building upon the shoulders of giants" should be easy to comprehend..
2. Most GPL software contain "Homepage" links anyhow, and Puppy and Slackware do an good job of building the .doc and .dev files from source, and include enough Man/Doc/Help stuff to suffice for links to source.. So?? Check your own Distro... :roll:

Look, I use it, it works great, and is well worth more than the man is asking..
It is not a scam, and all arguing aside its up to the user if it merits the price..
It does more, with less, than anything else Ive seen..
So can we discuss the software as it applies to creating Music, as it was intended for...???
Funny, I find this on my first visit, but this has been argued relentlessly elsewhere..
So I have to ask..???
This site should concentrate on the Musical aspect of things, or so I assumed when I joined..
Last edited by Jayguitarman on Tue May 01, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Jayguitarman wrote:First, let me say, I am not l0wt3ch, nor is slowpick..
Certainly still coming off with the same tactics lowtech has used on other boards, signing up to make just this one comment doesn't bode well.
Jayguitarman wrote:Have you ever compared Studio 4/1337 side by side with the others?
No I have not, because I refuse to pay for free software. That being said I used to run a review site dedicated to linux audio distros and tools. When Studio 4 was released I made lowtech the offer of doing a serious review if I was allowed to see a comped copy(cause I'm quite sure I'd only review it and format the partition, but will never know I guess.)
Jayguitarman wrote: Do you truly understand how being Puppy based, and hence running in ram, effects this type of software?? Do you grasp the effort to compile ALL of this stuff against its own RT kernel??
Puppy based, I thought Studio 13.37 was slackware based? And, I've tried several variations of Puppy and it's just never floated my boat IMHO. I find Peppermint OS to be the best low system resource distro out there. As for running in RAM, that's kind of a moot point on any modern system today. But for those that find that they need that extra 1% point of performance go for it, and that being said AV Linux does this for FREE. As for compiling everything that goes into a studio distro, no I have not. Thought about it, and done some basic work with Linux From Scratch and just decided there was little point. I'd rather throw my support behind the distros out there that do all the things you just mentioned and are FREE!

I'm all for diversification of the linux multimedia ecosystem, but ONLY WHEN IT BENEFITS EVERYONE! I wouldn't care if Studio 13.37 is up for sale and it actually filled a need in the ecosystem. But it seems to be a solution in search of a problem. As I've stated in this thread before, 5 years ago I would have paid the asking price and more for a well compiled studio distro. Now that there are several that all fill needs where does this leave a commercial distro? Up until the latest release of Ubuntu Studio 12.04 I was starting to thing the UbuntuStudio project was becoming obsolete as they didn't even include most of the cool stuff the other multimedia distros were. Now they're starting to redefine themselves and I give them props. Every other multimedia distro seems to have a specific thing(s) that it does that none of the others do and caters to the audience that needs them. I am having troubling seeing where Studio<insert stupid number> fits into this by only bringing to the table what other free distros already do?