New DSSI synthesizer, check it out

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jeffh
Established Member

New DSSI synthesizer, check it out

Post by jeffh »

Hi All,

I just released the first plugin in a series of plugins I'm working on. It's a traditional analog-style lead synthesizer called Ray-V.

.deb packages:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmodsynth/files/

screenshots:

http://libmodsynth.sourceforge.net/inde ... ge=gallery

craptacular project website I threw together :-D :

http://libmodsynth.sourceforge.net/
varpa
Established Member

Re: New DSSI synthesizer, check it out

Post by varpa »

Very nice first effort! Runs fine in AVLinux. Will give it a workout tonight when I can connect my keyboard.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

varpa wrote:Very nice first effort! Runs fine in AVLinux. Will give it a workout tonight when I can connect my keyboard.
Thanks for the kind words...

I must admit though, it's not technically a first effort; I'm actually porting some very mature old code i wrote on Windows between 2003 and 2007 (give or take, I don't remember the exact dates). It's only my first attempt at DSSI, and programming C/C++ on Linux...

If not for having all of my experience and older works to reference, there's no way I could have written a full featured synth start to finish in less than a month, on an unfamiliar platform.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

What is the exact way to start this? It doesn't have a typical file in /usr/bin
I remember back when dssi was wanting a graphics package, I assume thats the LMS_qt?

I see an entry in for it using Jost, but no gui, and the connections didn't
lead to sound. Tried lots of commands on the ray_v .so, to no avail

It would be great to use this on the weekend. I can try it
in AVlinux, or most other distros. Thanks for getting an instrument ready so fast! 8)
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

slowpick wrote:What is the exact way to start this? It doesn't have a typical file in /usr/bin
I remember back when dssi was wanting a graphics package, I assume thats the LMS_qt?

I see an entry in for it using Jost, but no gui, and the connections didn't
lead to sound. Tried lots of commands on the ray_v .so, to no avail

It would be great to use this on the weekend. I can try it
in AVlinux, or most other distros. Thanks for getting an instrument ready so fast! 8)

Sorry, I assumed everybody would be using it in a sequencer like Qtractor, etc...

To run standalone, you need jack-dssi-host , if you install it from your package manager, you can run:

jack-dssi-host /usr/local/lib/dssi/ray_v.so

I'll upload a pre-compiled jack-dssi-host to my Sourceforge downloads page tonight, so everybody can use it standalone without having to install anything.
Last edited by jeffh on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

Oops, I may have ommitted an important detail...

The files are located here:

/usr/local/lib/dssi

Either point your jack-dssi-host there, or make sure your sequencer/DAW is looking in that folder for DSSI plugins.

Also, if you make a preset bank and with to share it, all LibModSynth based plugins create a plain-text preset file here:

~/dssi

I'll create a README file tonight on the downloads page letting people know that....
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Thanks for the extra details! :)
jack-dssi-host ray-v.so Vs

jack-dssi-host ray_v.so

if the dash was a typo, better edit before teh evil google snatches it :lol:
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

slowpick wrote:Thanks for the extra details! :)
jack-dssi-host ray-v.so Vs

jack-dssi-host ray_v.so

if the dash was a typo, better edit before teh evil google snatches it :lol:
I didn't actually have teh files on the computer I typed that from :oops:

I've uploaded my own jack-dssi-host to my Sourceforge page, you can use it to run any DSSI plugins(not just mine). Instructions are in the tar.gz file.

Eventually, I'll write a GUI version of jack-dssi-host that can be used to scan for DSSI plugins and launch them without opening a terminal, but that probably won't come out until I've made more progress on the rest of the project.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

When loaded in qtractor, it does have the dash in it's title, and not the underscore.
Maybe something in the compile process likes variety :? :wink:
The gui also won't appear, using the qtractor edit button but it's not a proper install of qtractor,
so I'll fix that, and read some, and install your jack-dssi-host.

The standalone has audio output, and terminal output, but no gui, so I'll
try the other dssi instruments for comparison. And see if qt is lacking something.
No issues with qjackctl & friends

Cheers
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

I recall that Qtractor 0.5.1 wouldn't open the GUI (which is a bug in Qtractor).

Qtractor compiles as a single executable fie that doesn't have to be installed; I actually intended to start providing bleeding-edge pre-compiled binaries of it on my Sourceforge page anyways, I'll upload it here in a minute.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Looks great!! I'll give it a swirl tomorrow, I'm really stoked to hear how it sounds! Thanks!
And regarding pre-compiled binaries, I have a bleeding edge Qtractor PPA for Lucid here: https://launchpad.net/~autostatic/+archive/qtractor-svn

Jeremy
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

jeffh wrote:I recall that Qtractor 0.5.1 wouldn't open the GUI (which is a bug in Qtractor).

Qtractor compiles as a single executable file that doesn't have to be installed; I actually intended to start providing bleeding-edge pre-compiled binaries of it on my Sourceforge page anyways, I'll upload it here in a minute.
Thanks again, thats working better than the version I had. I'm going to do
an update to all the dssi and qt related things to Sid level. I got TAL Noisemaker to appear
in qtractor, but the knobs are frozen, and Hexter gui appeared using Jost, but preset changes
didn't work, so time to make changes under the hood.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

slowpick wrote:Thanks again, thats working better than the version I had. I'm going to do
an update to all the dssi and qt related things to Sid level. I got TAL Noisemaker to appear
in qtractor, but the knobs are frozen, and Hexter gui appeared using Jost, but preset changes
didn't work, so time to make changes under the hood.
That is the one problem with using pre-compiled binaries in Linux that have dependencies... I believe that having a recent version of qjackctl installed with all dependencies up-to-date is all you need to make any of my stuff or Qtractor run. It's possible for me to provide the dependencies also pre-compiled in the same package that could be run on any machine(which I eventually intend to do), but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Otherwise, PPAs like Jeremy's are a better way to go, I was just trying to provide something that would hopefully work for everybody, and not just Ubuntu-compatible users...
AutoStatic wrote:Looks great!! I'll give it a swirl tomorrow, I'm really stoked to hear how it sounds! Thanks!
And regarding pre-compiled binaries, I have a bleeding edge Qtractor PPA for Lucid here: https://launchpad.net/~autostatic/+archive/qtractor-svn

Jeremy
^^^^To the Ubuntu users: I would recommend going Jeremy's route over mine, as it will come with all of the necessary dependencies. If your distro can't use a Ubuntu PPA, then you may find mine + installing qjackctl to be the easiest way to get a bleeding-edge Qtractor if your distro provides an older version.

To everyone: I've identified 3 bugs:

**Re-opening the GUI in a host re-initializes Ray-V to the first preset
**Glide always glides up(to the wrong note, in fact) even when it should be gliding down
**Missed notes when playing complex polyphonic sequences in Qtractor(although I'm 75% sure it's actually Qtractor or Jack's fault, and may even have to do with which of several soundcards I'm using at that time, when I've narrowed down the culprit I'll either fix or report it as necessary).

The first bug is already fixed in GIT, I'm currently investigating the 2nd bug, but I'm pretty sure it's just something simple, and with any luck it will be fixed today, and I'll be able to upload the fixed version.

I would like anybody using it to report any bugs they find to me, this thread is an OK place to report them. Bugs also includes anything that in your opinion as a musician doesn't look, feel, or sound right, even if it isn't technically a bug...

My intention is to make Ray-V as rock-solid as possible before I finish writing the rest of LibModSynth, as Ray-V will form the starting point of the more advanced instruments I intend to create when the library is feature-complete.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

I did manage to fix the glide bug , but I'm going to wait until I've fixed the bug with weird stuff going on when playing complex polyphonic sequences before I release another update. It's probably something simple, so that will hopefully be in the next few days.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

On AVLinux 5.0.2 - Using your synth with jack-dssi-host and a midi keyboard worked initially but then some notes got stuck permanently on which could only be stopped by quitting program.

with Qtractor 0.5.3.18 works, GUI appears but generates huge number of xruns.