Puppy Studio 3.3 a very fast (realtime)distro for musicprod.

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

maans
Established Member

Puppy Studio 3.3 a very fast (realtime)distro for musicprod.

Post by maans »

Hi LinuxMusicians
l0wtech has announced the release of Puppy Studio 3.3 (realtime) edition, a small, very fast and light Puppy Linux derivative designed for music production:
"Puppy Studio: the fastest, most versatile, multimedia creation software in the world!. No more hassling to set up JACK, or trying in vain to get a realtime kernel working.
Everything comes pre-configured for you out-of-the-box with Puppy Studio - you don't have to be l33t to use it. All of the work of having a professional-quality Linux studio is done for you, simplifying the entire user experience.
Puppy Studio runs entirely in RAM, making it faster and more efficient. Combined with the realtime kernel, that means no other OS gets latencies as low. Not even close!
There's no need to install anything, and it can be carried in your pocket on a USB stick.
Puppy Studio was created with the idea of using Puppy Linux's unique abilities to give it a technological edge - not for running on older computers - you'll need at least 512 MB of RAM to use this software!.
Based on Lucid Puppy 520, Puppy Studio features realtime kernel 2.6.33.5-rt and hyper-lowlatency audio recording.
It boots straight to desktop, X is configured for you. Automatic Internet connection for eth0.
Newer versions of many programs, including Ardour, Rosegarden, and Rakarrack, LMMS (thanks to stu90), MuseScore, Pencil and OpenShot video editor included.- And much more.
Tons of additional software (i.e. Java, Cinelerra, Inkscape) available from Quickpet and Puppy Package Manager (Ubuntu repositories).
Add-on Roxapps (made by PupGeek): Kdenlive, Avidemux, Scribus, Blender, and XaraLx. Graphical redesign, including new wallpapers, customized Wbar, and Icewm as the default desktop environment." Check out the more detailed release notes for more information. Download
(Username: puppy Password: linux)
(MD5): 9d86f7237aa1c7c264559b5ac4510541 PuppyStudio3.3-rt.iso (378 MB).

----

----
Ps (red): I've made a small downloadable and editable wiki/personal notebook for PuppyStudio.
It's powered by TiddlyWiki which is a single htmlfile with javascript. You can download it and make your own changes to it - instantly.

Cheers Måns Mårtensson
eztuxer
Established Member

Re: Puppy Studio 3.3 a very fast (realtime)distro for musicprod.

Post by eztuxer »

Good job on posting this information maans 8)
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up ! http://pupitup.org/
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

I think I will have to try this on my netbook. Also maybe in VirtualBox initially.

Ken
maans
Established Member

Post by maans »

maans wrote: Check out the more detailed release notes for more information. Download
(Username: puppy Password: linux)
(MD5): 9d86f7237aa1c7c264559b5ac4510541 PuppyStudio3.3-rt.iso (378 MB).
It seems that the developer has deleted both the hosted image and the anouncement.
I will return with good news, if there is any hope that the Puppy Studio project will be continued...

Untill then you can find links to most "historic" versions (including the most recent: 3.3) in the wiki.
Download was disabled for a day or two - now it's working again :D
Cheers Måns Mårtensson
maans
Established Member

Post by maans »

Hi Ken
devilock76 wrote:I think I will have to try this on my netbook. Also maybe in VirtualBox initially.
Ken
Puppy Linux is known for it's small size and ability to run on old hardware, however this is a "hightech" Puppy derivative using a rt-kernel. You might run into problems if you use "too lowtech" hardware.
I'd recommend a fairly new pc/laptop with sufficient ram (at least 1 GB). I don't belive that you will have much success running a rt-kernel in VirtualBox, - however I would be pleased to know if it works for you :P

If you want to make music on a netbook with Puppy Linux, *not* getting into trouble because of the fact that RT kernels consume way more energy, and also generates more heat, you should try PupitUp by ezTuxer.
It has a lot of musicprograms, is meant for netbooks and is well maintained.

Cheers Måns Mårtensson
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

I thought I'd bump this thread. Anyone tried this distro out? Looks very promising for audio production!

Here it is: Puppy Studio

Would love to hear experiences...

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I have no experience with this distro specifically, but I was once a Puppy user for almost a year.

At first, it's really cool. It's so small, light, and fast, and everything works so well. There is also a pleasant sense of isolation, distance from trouble, and belonging to a fine club.

Wait. Everything? Not really.

Everything that is curated and provided by the community works well. But the community can't and won't provide everything. It's a walled garden. If you want anything that nobody has packaged for Puppy, you're on your own. You can always beg in the forum if that is your thing.

Oh, and Puppy changes a lot. A lot. And many changes can be deep, so your old packages won't run anymore, so you're out of a few programs until some generous soul makes new packages for the disenfranchised.

That's the main reason I love Debian: It has everything. Even developers who like to provide source code only are likely to make an exception for Debian (and Ubuntu) and provide a *.deb package. There is nothing cool about isolation. It sucks, actually.

And Debian changes very little quite slowly. That's absolutely wonderful. Bleeding edge is for bored kids with too much time on their hands. Puppy used to undergo major changes two or three times a year, and forced me to spend too much time on babysitting the stupid machine. In contrast, I ran Wheezy for two years then moved to Jessie very easily, there is very little difference between them, and it's been another two years now. I don't know when a new stable release will be enforced, I am definitely not in a hurry and it feels great to know that the Debian community is typically in no hurry either. Let them take their sweet, sweet time. We could be running Woody for all I care.

Puppy is not too bad, but treat it like a black box hardware music workstation, a glorified sampler/sequencer, something that you've bought off the shelf and can't really change, I mean, add programs, because sometimes you can, but oftentimes you can't and you won't, and I think that defeats a big part of the purpose of having a computer. The only change you get is the wholesale system upgrades that break your old packages and leave you with fewer programs than you used to have. It's nice, but it gets old. I'll have no business with it anymore.
Broomy
Established Member

Post by Broomy »

Well Luc said it all. Agreed.
The Quintar Project:
- Popularizing an all fifths tuning for guitarlike instruments
- Youtube: Playing and Building
- Files: Sourceforge
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I always have a recent puppy Linux to hand. It is a brilliant tool for data recovery etc on a tanked system.

I agree with comments on bleeding edge. I use Debian stable and people have told me it is stale. They have obviously never understood backports or adding repos. For audio work if it runs KXstudio you are sorted.

Puppy studio, as I understand is not developed anymore because its developer went commercial?
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

English Guy wrote:
Puppy studio, as I understand is not developed anymore because its developer went commercial?
Indeed. There was Puppy Studio at first, then the project was called Studio4, which I think it was commercial but probably got few free releases (free as in beer I think). Currently I think the project migrated to Studio13.37, which is based on Slackware if I am not wrong. These things are pretty hard to track, but I remember pretty well you could buy Studio4.
briandc wrote:I thought I'd bump this thread. Anyone tried this distro out? Looks very promising for audio production!

Here it is: Puppy Studio

Would love to hear experiences...

brian
I tried it when it was current, downloaded from here. Back in then I was struggling to get good audio performances and Puppy Studio impressed me by giving them to me just by booting from CD. There were other audio distro back then that were able to run live and give impressing performances. Like RemixOS, which featured Reaper out of the box. However, I never settled on them cause I wanted to learn how to turn my favourite distro into a production system rather than having a black box I don't know how it works under the hood.

While using Puppy Studio I got the impression that, indeed, it was a pain to add external components or even update reliably. I did not give to it more than a try as I was on Ubuntu back then and I wanted something as convenient as "apt-get install whatever-you-need-please". At the end I managed to run well with Ubuntu Studio 10.04, which is still going on my old desktop... So Puppy was not even needed anymore.

You could try it today but: software is gonna be OLD. Also, there is no point in comparing it with modern day software. Pretty much everything from the same era will outperform (or be as good as) modern day Linux distros. Fact is that those distros were at the end of the long 2.X kernel era, when development was probably much less furious than nowadays and things had more time to settle. Also, OLD software needs much less powerful computers. I think that old distros like PureDyne, DyneBolic, TangoStudio, RemixOS etc... are still able to give audio performances hard to match with modern days Linux boxes... There might be still room to use those, but new software, with its cool features, it is probably not gonna run on them.

If you fancy some "retro audio Linux computing", I suggest you to check this post on my blog. It is a post where I link all the audio distros I stumbled across in my life, also the discontinued ones. I would rather go with an old Debian based, so that if you find compatible software you can install it easily.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

It would be interesting to put KXstudio on puppy, puppy contains the tools to remaster it, so potentially there could be puppy Kx crossbreed. Just add the Liquorix kernel, wow, there's a thought.