SA_Plugins, clap/linux/(win)

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

skei
Established Member

SA_Plugins, clap/linux/(win)

Post by skei »

hi!
here's a bunch of linux clap plugins i hope someone can help me test and report back.. they're all made with the sa_toolkit, everything is coded from scratch, using more or less no external depenencies (except x11, opengl, nanovg).. but i have no idea how it will work or perform on other systems than mine, especially the gui stuff.. so, any reports and comments that i can get would be helpful!!

i have tested them (on my own system, mint/cinnamon/nvidia/intel) regularly in bitwig, sporadically in reaper, and barely in carla.. the gui didn't work in qtractor (last time i tried).. nogui worked.. i have a feeling it's opengl related..

the plugins can also be compiled for windows (using mingw), and i can add in the wrappers for vst3, vst2, lv2, ladspa, dssi (vst3 is more or less working, others varies from 'almost there' to 'quite a bit of work and motivation needed'), or compile as standalone executable (no sound/midi atm, so it's mainly for testing the gui, but later i will be routing it all through jack or something).. but, i think it's best to get some "works!", or "doesn't work!" reports from the 'simple' versions first, and then test the additional stuff layer by layer.. or else it gets too much.. (also, windows.. i can only test using wine, so i can never be sure it really works on real windows)..

so, first, i'm mostly interesting to hear if the system itself works, the underlying code that drives it all.. do the plugins work at all on your system? do they appear in the daw? the gui is the biggest and most intricate parts, so there's many places and layers it can fall apart.. does it work? does resizing work? etc.. the audio/dsp code is not the important part now, until we can be confident about the foundation of the plugins themselves..

later we could do more tweaking and tuning the gui or audio itself.. make some ok plugins out of them.. now i'm mainly hoping people will test them, and report back..

so, the plugins:

https://github.com/skei/SA_Toolkit/tree/master/testing

put them wherever the host is looking for them.. '~/.clap', '/usr/lib/clap', or something, most hosts lets you specify where.. i have mine in '/DISKS/sda1/plugins'.. i don't remember what the official clap spec says.. :-)

not much documentation yet, i'm afraid..

• sa_plugins_linux_28.mar.2024.clap

• sa_botage - glitch, cut'up, autoslicer
    • sa_bulum - rudimentary grain cloud/delay
    • sa_cred - note effect, fibonacci series, pisano periods
    • sa_mael - simple synth, but it has lots of the shiny clap goodies
  • sa_ports_linux_28.mar.2024.clap

• sa_ports_linux_nogui_28.mar.2024.clap

• sa_compciter, sa_event_horizon, sa_exciter, sa_exciter2, sa_freeverb, sa_hall_reverb, sa_hrtf, sa_iirfilter, sa_large_room_reverb, sa_limiter, sa_phaser, sa_pitch, sa_saturation, sa_small_room_reverb, sa_sonic_maximizer, sa_stretch, sa_tilteq, sa_transient_killer

a bunch of small, simple and minimalistic plugins and stuff i converted from multiple sources, jesusonic, ladspa, forum postings, etc.. multiple reasons for these.. to test different parts of the sa_toolkit as i worked on it, to see if it was usable to make 'real life' plugins, to test a bunch of small audio algorithm, that could possibly be used later as, for example internal effects in a synth.. and, these could be improved over time, modify and tweak the audio code, make some better guis, etc.. and become proper plugins.. the source code has more info about each plugin..

the sa_toolkit is here: https://github.com/skei/SA_Toolkit
there's also some test videos and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@torhelgeskei
and a discord channel: https://discord.gg/KMNea8P6Pe

let me know.. are the plugins useful? should i develope them further? is the framework stabile? does the gui work? if not, does the nogui versions work? etc, etc.. what distro, kernel, desktop, gpu card, etc would also be very helpful, especially if things doesn't work! ideas, comments, complaints, suggestions, etc, also appreciated..

(btw, i changed my mind, and compiled windows binaries too.. they're very "very not supported" (linux/clap first!), and have known issues and problems, but they're there.. and vst3 versions (clap wrapped as vst3, not all clap features are supported)..

• tor-helge
Largos
Established Member

Re: SA_Plugins, clap/linux/(win)

Post by Largos »

Using OpenSuse tumbleweed. Tried loading them with Carla, Qtractor, Reaper and Ardour.

Carla 2.5.8: Doesn't use clap. Anything vst3 that i've tried crashes it.

Ardour 8.4: Doesn't use clap. For vst3, doesn't detect most of the plugins, anything that it does locks it up.

Reaper 6.83: CLAP loads fine, vst3 crashes it.

Qtractor 0.9.39: Doesn't recognise vst3 ones. Clap with GUI crashes it, clap without GUI is fine

skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

thanks!
yeah, the vst3 wrapper is not very stable.. sometimes the plugin loads, mostly not.. needs more work (but not right now)..
i tested with carla 2.6.0-alpha1 (i think?), which has some support for clap..
and i noticed the same with qtractor.. according to some dumped stack traces, it seems there are some problems related to opengl..

skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

..anybody else?

occulkot
Established Member

Post by occulkot »

Precompiled .vst3 does not work on my ardour 8.4 on arch updated 2 weeks ago. Plugins are scanned sucessfully but shows 0/0 audio in/out and when added to track ardour hangs up.
edit: carla segfaults when adding sa_mael or sa_botage, bitwig 5.1.6 loads all plugins and looks like it is working correctly

Ive tested sa_botage some time ago but i dont remember if i compiled it myself or used some pre-compiled build.

Quickly scanned through repo but i dont see any makefile or building instructions, or did i miss something?

https://linuxmusic.rocks/ - linux music software database

skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

thanks!
so, generally, clap works in bitwig, vst3 have problems?
i haven't spent much time getting neither the wrappers or windows version fully updated to the new toolkit yet.. will focus on linux and clap for a while, until i feel those parts are stable enough..
hearing that the gui works is a big relief! that part is entirely new, and was the largest change for the new toolkit..

there are no makefiles or complicated build instructions.
it's all done with a small, simple script ('compile' in /build).
for example:

Code: Select all

./compile -i <plugin.cpp> -o plugin.clap -f clap -g x11

-i = input file (.cpp, or in my case it's all .h files)
-o = resulting output file (binary)
-f plugin format (clap, vst3, exe, etc)
-g gui type (x11 for linux for now, wayland in semi-progress, win32 for winddes)
-w windows version (using mingw, else gcc)
-d debug build

occulkot
Established Member

Post by occulkot »

Ive runned .vst3 in bitwig successfully ;), didnt test clap at the moment.

Compiling on my machine doesnt make any difference for vst3 im affraid.

BTW - i think you could use git submodule for src/extern/vst3/vst3sdk cause by default it is empty

Last edited by occulkot on Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

https://linuxmusic.rocks/ - linux music software database

skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

occulkot wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:23 am

Ive runned .vst3 in bitwig successfully ;), didnt test clap at the moment.

ah, ok, so the wrapper(s) is getting back into shape too, that's nice to hear! :-)

occulkot wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:23 am

BTW - i think you could use git submodule for src/extern/vst3/vst3sdk

yeah, maybe... but i use git only for keeping the source code online and public, and for backup.. not very too motivated to dig deeper into neither git or makefile stuff.. maybe i have to, sometime later..

skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

had a burst of motivation, so i spent a few hours bringing this back from some of my old jesusonic scripts..
(conway's game of life, triggering notes and control changes)..
will continue working on it.. soooo many ideas...

sa_automata.png
sa_automata.png (31.98 KiB) Viewed 178 times