Focusrite Scarlett Gen 4 mixer driver

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

geoffrey
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett Gen 4 mixer driver

Post by geoffrey »

Hi @radman!

radman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:16 pm

Looks like the Linux 6.7 kernel release has some work done around the scarlett2 driver:

https://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_6.7

This looks like a bit of initial refactoring and some support added for Clarett, plus a few other things:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... cb1478ab5b

Correct. Support for all Clarett USB and Clarett+ devices is now in Linux 6.7.

Looks like the mixer is now enabled by default for the Scarlett series which is a huge step forward!

Indeed yes :).

(I assume this is not for the 4th gen just yet).

Also correct. The code for the 4th Gen has been accepted to go in 6.8.

Thanks again for your work Geoffrey!

You're welcome :).

dzonitheboy

Post by dzonitheboy »

I just bought Scarlett 4 and Mic,

It's not working on my linux, I tried changing audio card to scarlett.

Can somebody help me, my mic doesn't work

GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

dzonitheboy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:05 pm

I just bought Scarlett 4 and Mic,

It's not working on my linux, I tried changing audio card to scarlett.

Can somebody help me, my mic doesn't work

You should start a new thread and provide more details about your hardware, software, and what you are trying to do.

geoffrey
Established Member

Focusrite Scarlett Gen 4 mixer driver and GUI complete!

Post by geoffrey »

Linux 6.8 adds support for the 4th Gen Scarlett Solo, 2i2, and 4i4 and firmware upgrades, and I've released alsa-scarlett-gui 0.4.0 which looks nice and supports all the things! Backports of the driver to previous Linux kernel versions are also available if your distro doesn't yet have 6.8.

iface-4th-gen.png
iface-4th-gen.png (65.97 KiB) Viewed 20672 times

Thanks for your support everybody! I literally couldn't have done all this without you and the assistance I got from Focusrite as a result of that support (backstory here, if you didn't already read it).

Ad Phronesis

Post by Ad Phronesis »

Thank you very much for your hard work with this project. This is one piece of the puzzle the enabled me to switch full time to Linux. I donated gladly for this project.

Regarding the fast progress with this development, and these new features requiring very current kernels, I politely hope us older system (for example us Debian Stable) users could benefit from this development, specifically firmware updating. Currently I'm most interested knowing are there any drawbacks or potential deprecation using "alsa-scarlett-gui_0.2-7-g65c0_amd64", as it works very well currently in my Debian Stable 12.5.

geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

Ad Phronesis wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 pm

Thank you very much for your hard work with this project. This is one piece of the puzzle the enabled me to switch full time to Linux. I donated gladly for this project.

Regarding the fast progress with this development, and these new features requiring very current kernels, I politely hope us older system (for example us Debian Stable) users could benefit from this development, specifically firmware updating. Currently I'm most interested knowing are there any drawbacks or potential deprecation using "alsa-scarlett-gui_0.2-7-g65c0_amd64", as it works very well currently in my Debian Stable 12.5.

Hi @Ad Phronesis,

Thank you for your support! It's very appreciated!

All the Scarlett stuff that I've done will work fine on Debian Stable 12.5. You don't need a newer kernel; you can build the latest Scarlett2 driver for your current kernel — see https://github.com/geoffreybennett/scar ... 2/releases for instructions.

You need the newer version of https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa-scarlett-gui/ to use the features from the new kernel. Since 0.2-7-g65c0, besides support for more interfaces, the major things added are: level/meter display, firmware update, config reset, and I gave it a new look.

If you have any issues, please open a github issue against the appropriate repo and I'll be happy to assist.

Regards,
Geoffrey.

joepman

Post by joepman »

Hello Geoffrey, hello guys,

I've been using Linux for a long time, but have only recently started to acquire some knowledge of audio technology.
My aim is to mix and monitor recordings of my modest experiments with the saxophone together with backing tracks from the PC on the Scarlett and record them on the PC.

So I was delighted when, while looking for an external audio interface, I first came across the scarlett solo 4th gen and then also noticed the desired support for use under Linux.
btw, as I found the latter to be the result of a one-man show, I donated to it.

Building the kernel modules as well as the firmware and mixer software was very easy.

However, I find it difficult to activate/use the loopback functionality of the scarlett solo and record with Audacity or similar, for example, which probably makes sound engineers smile.
I just don't have the background knowledge here.

Is there a description somewhere that conclusively explains to an (audio) beginner how to use the loopback function of the Scarlett Solo 4th gen in such a way that I can achieve my goal?

Thx in advance,
Joe

geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

Hi Joe,

joepman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:13 pm

Hello Geoffrey, hello guys,

I've been using Linux for a long time, but have only recently started to acquire some knowledge of audio technology.
My aim is to mix and monitor recordings of my modest experiments with the saxophone together with backing tracks from the PC on the Scarlett and record them on the PC.

So I was delighted when, while looking for an external audio interface, I first came across the scarlett solo 4th gen and then also noticed the desired support for use under Linux.
btw, as I found the latter to be the result of a one-man show, I donated to it.

Building the kernel modules as well as the firmware and mixer software was very easy.

However, I find it difficult to activate/use the loopback functionality of the scarlett solo and record with Audacity or similar, for example, which probably makes sound engineers smile.
I just don't have the background knowledge here.

Is there a description somewhere that conclusively explains to an (audio) beginner how to use the loopback function of the Scarlett Solo 4th gen in such a way that I can achieve my goal?

Thx in advance,
Joe

Thank you for your support! I'd be glad to assist. It'd be helpful to know some details about your environment: what distro & version, and if you're using PulseAudio, JACK, or PipeWire (see the New Issue Template for how to get those details).

Loopback is for recording what you are playing from the computer. So you can play the backing track from a different app (say Firefox) and you want Audacity to record the backing track (Loopback) and your sax together.

If you're using PipeWire, then I'd suggest doing this:

• if you have changed the default routing/mixing configuration on your Solo, put it back with the View → Startup → Reset Configuration option
  • In pavucontrol select the Pro Audio configuration
  • In Audacity, select JACK, Scarlett Solo, 4-channel recording
  • Click Record in Audacity
  • Click Play in your other app

If you have the backing track in Audacity, then you don't need loopback for your usage scenario. Let me know if that's the case and I'll provide some more instructions.

Regards,
Geoffrey.

joepman

Post by joepman »

Hi Geoffrey,
and thank you for this quick reply.

I apologize for the lack of background information on the system I am using. As an IT person, I should have thought of that ...
For the sake of completeness I attach them below.

To the news:
I had not changed the routing of the scarlett.
The backing track was played with rhythmbox, the "live performance" comes via the instrument microphone on the scarlett's XLR connection (input 2).
I listen to the whole thing with headphones via the direct monitor output
It looks as if the signal recorded by Audacity has been too weak so far.
After I had turned up the playback volume in the pulseaudio control significantly, something audible did indeed end up in the recorded audio track.

So now "only" the task remains to adjust the volumes of the backing track and the microphone recording of my sax attempts to each other. Perhaps this will be the subject of another call for help ... ;-)

Again: thx a lot for your efforts and help

With the knowledge I have gained so far, I will help a friend this weekend to get his scarlett solo 4rth gen running on his linux PC

Best Regards,
Joe

Distribution: LinuxMint
Version: 21.3

Kernel version: 5.15.0-102.112-generic 5.15.148

Kernel Messages
[ 2.508773] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1235, idProduct=8218, bcdDevice= 8.43
[ 2.508776] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=2
[ 2.508778] usb 3-1: Product: Scarlett Solo 4th Gen
[ 2.508779] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: Focusrite
[ 2.508780] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: S###ZZZ###BD##
[ 2.636259] usb 3-2: new low-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[ 27.599555] usb 3-1: Focusrite Scarlett Gen 4 Mixer Driver 5.15-v1.0 enabled (pid=0x8218); report any ...
[ 27.624614] usb 3-1: Firmware version 2115
[ 27.627421] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

Audio System

• PulseAudio
  • PipeWire
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

Hi @joepman,

joepman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:01 pm

The backing track was played with rhythmbox, the "live performance" comes via the instrument microphone on the scarlett's XLR connection (input 2).
I listen to the whole thing with headphones via the direct monitor output
It looks as if the signal recorded by Audacity has been too weak so far.
After I had turned up the playback volume in the pulseaudio control significantly, something audible did indeed end up in the recorded audio track.

So now "only" the task remains to adjust the volumes of the backing track and the microphone recording of my sax attempts to each other. Perhaps this will be the subject of another call for help ... ;-)

I'd suggest setting the volume in pulseaudio to 100% (I leave it there, always), then set your listening volume with the volume knob on the Scarlett front panel, otherwise your loopback volume is going to be too low.

If the balance between your sax and rhythmbox isn't right in your headphones when using direct monitoring/recording then adjust one of them downward in alsa-scarlett-gui mixer window (Mix A & B go to your headphones).

After recording, if the volumes aren't correct then adjust the gain on the track(s) in Audacity.

When recording in Audacity you must select 4 channel recording, and it will look something like this:

Screenshot from 2024-04-12 18-15-54.png
Screenshot from 2024-04-12 18-15-54.png (47.22 KiB) Viewed 12181 times

Then use the "Make Stereo Track" option to make tracks 3/4 stereo and delete track 1. Audacity might not be the best tool if you're going to do a lot of this. I don't think there's any way to tell it in advance that you want to ignore input 1, record input 2 mono and 3/4 stereo. I usually use Ardour for this sort of thing, but it's more work to learn and a different sort of program entirely.

Again: thx a lot for your efforts and help

With the knowledge I have gained so far, I will help a friend this weekend to get his scarlett solo 4rth gen running on his linux PC

You're very welcome. Have fun, and good luck!

Audio System

• PulseAudio
  • PipeWire

Hm, I think my instructions need updating. I don't know why PulseAudio and PipeWire would both be running (maybe PA for audio and PW for video?) but they can't both be the sound server simultaneously. Maybe "sudo lsof /dev/snd/c*" would be the better command. "pactl info" can also be useful.