LSP Plugins laggy visuals on Arch/AMD?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

iamlocknar
Established Member

LSP Plugins laggy visuals on Arch/AMD?

Post by iamlocknar »

Anyone have experience with LSP plugin suite having choppy frame rates? Im making the migration from bitwig to reaper and was looking at the lsp suite as a set of "replace my utilities" set of tools but upon install I noticed their visual performance to be quite lacking.

I have a newer AMD card on Arch so Im wondering first if the lower frame rate is just how it is... or if I potentially have other graphical issues I need to address.

Im generally newer to linux and have only been using it since summer 23 so Im still getting my feet planted.

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: LSP Plugins laggy visuals on Arch/AMD?

Post by sysrqer »

I'm using Arch with AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT and they are not laggy for me, at least as far as I can tell.

Any particular plugins? Wayland?

iamlocknar
Established Member

Post by iamlocknar »

7800xt, Wayland. I was just looking at the stereo filter plugin and noticed it was very choppy.

Ive since improved everything (by accident) I had Reaper set to run pulse not Jack and the switch vastly improved the situation (Vital and Phaseplant through yabridge are running with less choppiness). Looking at the spectrum graph though it seems like its frame locked perhaps? Its not choppy but compared to the snappiness from other plugin interfaces its feeling diminished somewhat.

sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

LSP Plugins don't support Wayland Compositor yet.
Please try to run them under X11 first.
But I think it is related to some issues of Cairo and AMD graphics driver as it is described here:
https://github.com/lsp-plugins/lsp-plugins/issues/369

LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
iamlocknar
Established Member

Post by iamlocknar »

Hey thanks for the reply, if Im reading correctly the gui is currently locked at 25 fps? If thats the case then I am actually getting all of them, its just choppy in comparison to the higher frame rates other things are doing.

sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

It is also important to understand that most of visual data like graphs is also prepared by the backend (DSP part) which is periodically executed by calling run() or process() methods by the host. And the rate of this calls depends on the audio buffer size. If you have buffer of 1024 samples with 48000 Hz sampe rate, you'll get 46 calls per second. Raising the buffer twice will give 23 CPS. Lowering the buffer will give 80 and more CPS.
Each change requires data transfer from the DSP part to the UI part. Consider you have 640 dots for a graph. Transferring 2 coordinates (x and y) gives 5120 bytes buffer. With 25 fps that means that we need to transfer 128 kBytes per one graph. With 16 graphs we already get 2 MB/s data transfer. For some plugin formats like LV2 you need to allocate pretty huge buffers for that and that gives additional resource load on a DAW.
By the other side, the slowest part is to draw all this line data on the UI. There are some proposals about how to speed up cairo library but I need to check them first.

LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.