Motorolla-dsp56300 emu with gui updated

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Motorolla-dsp56300 emu with gui updated

Post by glowrak guy »

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/downloads/

The debian packages install to /usr/local/lib/vst (or vst3 or clap) so I moved them to
.clap, .vst, and .vst3, and tested the clap version.

They require ROM files from the discontinued Access Virus B or C models, which are widely available for download, and not contested by Access, since they don't make or sell those models any more, and public awareness may actually convince people to buy their current products. Put the ROM .bin file by the plugin. There will be over 700 categorized presets in banks A through H, not including some that are found in more than one bank. In the numbered list on the left, right-click the number to choose the midi channel, so multi-timbral is easy to arrange.

Virus-Osirus.jpg
Virus-Osirus.jpg (246.54 KiB) Viewed 544 times
gauderbock
Established Member

Re: Motorolla-dsp56300 emu with gui updated

Post by gauderbock »

Thanks for the heads up. I've not tried this in a long time, it's come a long way, very nice indeed.

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

I mean... not contested by Access doesn't automatically make it legal... Unless they've straight up, officially said it's ok to use the roms, it still feels a little too grey area for my liking.

Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

The emulator itself is legal.
Obtaining the roms from your own equipment is also legal most places.

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

Yes, absolutely. But how many people wanting to use the emulator actually own a hardware Virus?

To be clear, I personally have no qualms about downloading that kind of stuff for personal use. And I think it is highly unlikely that Access would come knocking at your door if you do use it. But speaking for myself, if I want to try to make music in any kind of "serious", potentially commercial way, I'd prefer to keep everything clearly above board.

Also, totally unrelated, it is quite the resource hog. And by default (at least when I tried it, though this was a little while ago) it's splitting processing in a way that doesn't report its full cpu usage to the host. Just something to be aware of for anyone trying it out. :)

Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

It remembers me the context of MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator). Emulating the DSP behind the machine itself for preservation purposes is the best that can be done when real HW, sooner or later, will be gone. As for MAME, the the accuracy of emulation should be the main goal. Playability, "cpu-hogness" are "side effects".

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

AlbertoZ wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:13 pm

It remembers me the context of MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator). Emulating the DSP behind the machine itself for preservation purposes is the best that can be done when real HW, sooner or later, will be gone. As for MAME, the the accuracy of emulation should be the main goal. Playability, "cpu-hogness" are "side effects".

Sure. And modern CPUs can likely handle it. But I think it's fair to warn people, because the CPU usage may not be obvious, if they are only looking at their host's CPU metering.