Hi

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Vasdjs
Established Member

Hi

Post by Vasdjs »

I have been a linux user since about 2002 and currently use Kubuntu on my laptop. I play banjo ( with some guitar and harmonica ) and my home recordings go back to the 1970s (cassette tapes). I have been a keen user of vortexbox to rip my music and also to store backing tracks. I am still actively playing and writing songs. I'm hoping to upgrade my home recording setup soon (Scarlet 2i2), so hoping for some good advice. :D

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Hi

Post by bluebell »

Welcome and have fun.

Too bad that a member left this forum some months ago who loved the banjo.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

trawglodyte
Established Member

Post by trawglodyte »

Vasdjs wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:28 pm

I'm hoping to upgrade my home recording setup soon (Scarlet 2i2), so hoping for some good advice. :D

Best advice is send that Scarlett 2i2 to your pal Trawg on the Linux Musicians forum when you updrade! :P I could put it to good use.

Seriously though, does the Scarlett 2i2 have the same preamps as the 18-channel Scarlett's? The specs looked the same to me. It would probably be wise to hold onto it after your upgrade. It could come in handy some day.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I would love to hear what you're doing with your banjo. I "borrowed" a tenor banjo from the neighbors a while back (the short story is that I saved it from being destroyed by their little boys, but a few years later the older daughter wanted to practice it so I gave it back).

A while back I picked up a used Scarlett 18i20 on the cheap. I quickly found that it was cheap because input channel 7 doesn't work and the dim/mute buttons are flakey, but I'm able to work around those problems and still love it.

bluebell wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:42 pm

Too bad that a member left this forum some months ago who loved the banjo.

Indeed it's a flying shame, I'm sure this thread would have been much more, er, "lively"...

Vasdjs
Established Member

Post by Vasdjs »

I play 5 string banjo @Michael Willis and mostly 3 finger style, although I am learning clawhammer atm. I have learned a few single string tunes (tenor style) on my 5 string and love the sound of it.