Looking for a working stand alone Sequencer

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

A.O.S.
Established Member

Re: Looking for a working stand alone Sequencer

Post by A.O.S. »

A.O.S. wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:34 pm

The best solution I have found until today is Patroneo, but it seems that Patroneo can't be tansport master under jack and synchronize the midi clock among multiple synths. The timing is always off.

For the sake of fairness I have to add that Patroneo works in sync with external synthesizers now.
Patroneo delivers a complete JACK-Transport, which external devices can't decode. Because this, the Midi-Clock and the Play/Stop Signal have to be extracted from the JACK-Transport. This can be done with Carla and the mclk.lv2 plugin.

However thank you very much for your suggestions which opened new ideas and approaches for me.

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:23 am
RyanH wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:28 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:42 am

I almost forgot about good 'ol midieditor. Also in every repo of every distro. I use it to make simple .mid files. Looks like this:

Looks interesting, but Synaptic doesn't find it here on Ubuntu Studio.

You're absolutely right! I spent half an hour looking for the repo from which I must have installed it then. As it turns out I downloaded the .deb package (for Debian based systems like Ubuntu) from the website of the developer himself:

http://www.midieditor.org/index.php?category=download

So even though it's a pretty basic app, it's not in every distro's main repo like I said. Sorry! There is also a Windows version that even runs in Win XP so non-Debian linuxers might have luck running it in Wine (I most certainly don't recommend that for Win software that wants to access hardware). Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

You can also try to build it from (open!) source. It's dependencies seem "mild" (Qt and ALSA).

Good luck trying out Midieditor :)

It's not in the Debian repo. (bookworm)

I built it from source (git) and deps were reasonably straightforward.

Just a note on ME. I use it occasionally for quick ideas, and for that, it does the job. However, there's only one patch map, which can't be changed. So if you're good with GM and that's it, then it's an option. I have more than one orchestral soundfont that isn't GM, and it can be slow going adding programme changes, when you need to refer to GM numbers to match up patch references.

nadir
Established Member

Post by nadir »

I was wondering about a config file in my home directory: .ZyTrax
It seems to be a sequencer too.
Neither can i make any sense of it (not astonishing, i am not too deep into audio stuff), but also there is hardly any info at their website (looks like dead links).
So i really only mention that it seems to exist, perhaps someone knows it and can say it if is useful or not.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

alex stone wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:43 pm

[...]
Just a note on ME [midieditor, software]. I use it occasionally for quick ideas, and for that, it does the job. However, there's only one patch map, which can't be changed. So if you're good with GM and that's it, then it's an option. I have more than one orchestral soundfont that isn't GM, and it can be slow going adding programme changes, when you need to refer to GM numbers to match up patch references.

With the general Midi map, do you mean the Control Change options? Those that we can choose on the lower left-hand side of MidiEditor? See the yellow arrow in the screenie below:

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:46 am
alex stone wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:43 pm

[...]
Just a note on ME [midieditor, software]. I use it occasionally for quick ideas, and for that, it does the job. However, there's only one patch map, which can't be changed. So if you're good with GM and that's it, then it's an option. I have more than one orchestral soundfont that isn't GM, and it can be slow going adding programme changes, when you need to refer to GM numbers to match up patch references.

With the general Midi map, do you mean the Control Change options? Those that we can choose on the lower left-hand side of MidiEditor? See the yellow arrow in the screenie below:

Aaah, nope. I meant the instrument selection in the channels. It's GM only. And if you want to add a program change, you can only choose from a default GM instrument list. So if one of my orchestral soundfonts has 1st violins as patch 1, it reads as Grand Piano, and so on...

EDIT: For what it's worth, I've added a FR in the midieditor github issues section. We'll see if it gets enough interest, or not.

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

Last week I stumbled upon Stochas.
It might be a solution for you aswel to try out...

https://surge-synth-team.org/stochas/

It works standalone aswel - but I only tried it in the DAW to connect my synth, still have to figure out all possibilities later.
Handy to layer things quickly.

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^