high quality plugins for cinematic music?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Katharsisdrill

Re: high quality plugins for cinematic music?

Post by Katharsisdrill »

nils wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:22 pm

There are not.

Haha! No beating around the bush. I like that, mate! I tried to download the free Spitfire strings which should be usable with Wine, but the website refused the download due to me using Linux... wtf?! So - No.

I wrote the score in Muse so I will just go with those fairly reasonably adequate strings and then overdub some space-punk-synth-strings. It was all getting too classical anyhow.

The Katharsisdrill free culture project: https://katharsisdrill.art/

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Katharsisdrill wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:02 am

The website refused the download due to me using Linux... wtf?! So - No

You can install a browser addon that lets you set the user-agent so your browser will appear as Windows to Spitfire's website.

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

An Arturia product you might like for orchestral works:

viewtopic.php?t=26709

Katharsisdrill

Post by Katharsisdrill »

d.healey wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:05 am
Katharsisdrill wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:02 am

The website refused the download due to me using Linux... wtf?! So - No

You can install a browser addon that lets you set the user-agent so your browser will appear as Windows to Spitfire's website.

Yea, I figured something like that was possible, and even looked for it in the Firefox preferences - I will probably do something like that for later projects - it is fun writing for strings. For this project, which is part of my free culture art I will find some other solution. They sort of pissed me of by already shut me out on the browser :) But thanks for the tip!

The Katharsisdrill free culture project: https://katharsisdrill.art/

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

alexm012 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:29 pm

Spitfire Audio's BBC Orchestra - Newer offering but shows Linux commitment.

What do you mean by "shows Linux commitment"? The only thing at all about Linux that I can find on their site explicitly says that they do not support or encourage the use of their products on Linux.

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

alexm012 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:29 pm

You raise a great question - while Linux has made huge strides for pro music production, there are still some gaps in complex orchestral libraries compared to proprietary options on Windows/Mac.

That said, here are a few standout cinematic plugin options that provide high quality results under Linux:

Native Instruments' Symphony Series - Super realistic orchestral libraries powered by Kontakt. More limited articulations than something like EastWest, but very convincing tone and playability.

SWAM Engine Instruments - Unique physical modeling VIs for solo strings/winds. More niche but capture very lyrical musicality.

Spitfire Audio's BBC Orchestra - Newer offering but shows Linux commitment. Lower dynamics sampling than the full Spitfire range but still very capable foundation.

There are also an increasing number of high-end sample library developers porting to Linux like Impact Soundworks. Performance varies but compatibility should only get better.

I know the workflow feeling restrictive is frustrating, but hopefully the above give you viable sounding alternatives to avoid dual booting just for production needs! Let me know if any other questions.To support the process, this article includes a free downloadable 100 Envelope Challenge template you can print to start stuffing cash.A free template is a pre-designed and readily available document or file that can be accessed and downloaded at no cost, typically from the internet.

Not sure where you get Linux commitment from. None of these libs have native Linux options. It's the same with Orchestral Tools, who make fine sample libs, and have the fast maturing Sine player. Is there a native linux version? No. Will they release one? No.

I can't see anywhere on the Impact Soundworks site that suggests they've ported libs to Linux.

These and other sample devs use Kontakt almost exclusively, and NI have made it clear over decades they'll build a native linux version when hell freezes over.

Where's the native SWAM version for Linux?

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Impact Soundworks released their very first version of Shreddage and Shreddage Bass in SFZ format. Every version since has been Kontakt, to my knowledge. Andrew is a great guy, and is open minded, but he had his reasons for not using SFZ anymore. His products have gone far beyond the capabilities of SFZ, so I seriously doubt he would go back to it—it would be a step backwards for him. Nevertheless, he continues to sell the SFZ versions, because he knows that some people rely on SFZ, and he provides it for those people. But providing the older Shreddage packages is about the closest to Linux support as his company gets. At least to my knowledge.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

alex stone wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:41 am

I suspect you're replying to yet another chatspambot. Has all the telltale signs. One of which is that hidden url at the end of its message.

Edit: seems bot's banned already.

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Impostor wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:07 am
alex stone wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:41 am

I suspect you're replying to yet another chatspambot. Has all the telltale signs. One of which is that hidden url at the end of its message.

Edit: seems bot's banned already.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look more closely next time, although what I wrote is valid, imho.

Tippe
Established Member

Post by Tippe »

All you need ist Calf Fluidsynth and .sf2 files.
There seems to be a few other sound-font-players, but I didn't test them.

Or even Carla and .sfz files.

There is lots of .sf2 files on the web available for free
containing almost every instrument which is being used in orchestras.

There is also lots of .sfz files equal to the .sf2 files.

I'm doing orchestral/cinematic music.

https://soundcloud.com/rainer-steffen-hain/albums