Using HX Stomp in combination with Virtualbox

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

a_green_fence

Using HX Stomp in combination with Virtualbox

Post by a_green_fence »

I am trying to make the transition from Windows (10) to Linux (Mint, 21.3). The only thing that is stopping me from never looking back is Line 6's software called HX Edit, which is used to easily edit presets in the HX Stomp.

I figured I could try to start a Windows 10 guest machine in Virtualbox (7.0, with extention pack and guest additions installed) and install HX Edit there. Unfortunately, Virtualbox does not seem to recognize my HX Stomp when I connect it via USB, even though the Linux host does recognize it (lsusb lists it as "Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0e41:4246 Line6, Inc. HX Stomp").

I've read that support for USB devices like this is not guaranteed in Virtualbox, but I was wondering if anyone here can help me:

• with connecting the HX Stomp to my Windows installation, or;
  • with finding another way to use HX Edit, without having to install Windows for real.

Thank you in advance!

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Using HX Stomp in combination with Virtualbox

Post by bluebell »

I don't use VirtualBox but kvm/qemu with Virtual Machine Manager to run Windows-only software occasionally.

Most problems with connecting external devices is Linux claiming the device and starting some processes. For example when connecting my Korg Opsix my good ol' Linux gets in the way by starting some RNDIS networking stuff. I had to disable the following modules in /etc/modprobe.d/somename.conf:

Code: Select all

# for Korg opsix librarian
blacklist rndis_wlan
blacklist rndis_host
blacklist usbnet

Maybe you ran into similar issues.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

bluebell wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:26 pm

I don't use VirtualBox but kvm/qemu with Virtual Machine Manager to run Windows-only software occasionally.

Most problems with connecting external devices is Linux claiming the device and starting some processes. For example when connecting my Korg Opsix my good ol' Linux gets in the way by starting some RNDIS networking stuff. I had to disable the following modules in /etc/modprobe.d/somename.conf:

Code: Select all

# for Korg opsix librarian
blacklist rndis_wlan
blacklist rndis_host
blacklist usbnet

Maybe you ran into similar issues.

I connect my Line6 pedal to windows virtual machine just from virt-manager (maybe same as yours?), and no need to blacklist anything.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

You have to select USB passthrough for the device you want to use with the virtual machine. It's a while since I've done this, but I seem to remember there was a menu item on the virtual machine window to do this.

erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

I remember this USB-Problem was caused, because my user was not a member of the group of virtualboxusers.But on Mint this should happen automatically during install.

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.