Spitfire Audio and EastWestbplugin experience with Yabridge and Wine

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

carlosali

Spitfire Audio and EastWestbplugin experience with Yabridge and Wine

Post by carlosali »

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to know about your experience with Spitfire Audio plugins (both VST2 and VST3) via Yabridge and I'm having mixed results.

First the GUI of the Spitfire Audio app is broken, it seems to be some kind of a graphical issue since I have to minimize and maximize the app every time I need to open, download or reset a library. I found out that it might be an issue with the DXVK and tried to follow these steps but didn't work.

In regards to the libraries themselves, I managed to fully use LABS which is already great. I also manager to make a small library called Alev Lenz work with no problems. However I couldn't make Cinematic Frozen Strings work; whenever Reaper (I also tried Bitwig) tried to load it the VST crashes and I get an error notification.

I'm pretty new to Linux, so I imagine that there might be a way to view the logs of these errors right? If so, can anyone kindly guide me into troubleshooting this issue, knowing that I'm aware that it might be something related to the development of Yabridge and/or Wine and the way they interact with that specific plugin.

Also, I managed to install and run EW Installation center and OPUS, but there are graphical problems making it impossible to see what's happening inside of the plugin window.

Any input would be highly appreciated 🙏

System specifications

CPU : i7 1165g7

RAM : 32 Gigs

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Re: Spitfire Audio and EastWestbplugin experience with Yabridge and Wine

Post by Robin Cherry »

What's your video card and which drivers are you using with it? A lot of nvidia cards will only have vulkan/dxvk support with the proprietary driver.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@carlosali

First the GUI of the Spitfire Audio app is broken

Is that the "library manger app" (the one which allows you to download / update / repair sample libraries) or one of the plugin GUIs?

I've had the library manager break sporadically over time, and have reported it to Spitfire: they've been helpful, releasing fixes which resolved my issue, in spite of not officially supporting Linux. One thing I learned was that there is a flag in the LM config file which disables auto-update, which was crucial to me being able to work around the issues while they were fixing them.

If the plugin GUI is broken: which DAW / plugin host are you using? Sometimes Ardour (and related DAWs like Harrison's Mixbus) don't interact well with plugins built on very new systems (both Windows and Linux), because the DAW and the plugins coexist in the same process space, causing conflicts between the versions of libraries bundled into Ardour and those built into binary-only plugins.

FWIW, I've been successful (with the odd glitch from time to time) running LABS, several of the "Originals" series, and "BBC SO Core" in their own WINE environment (the only WINE software I use, in fact) for about four years now.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
pawel
Established Member

Post by pawel »

carlosali wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:28 am

[...] However I couldn't make Cinematic Frozen Strings work; whenever Reaper (I also tried Bitwig) tried to load it the VST crashes and I get an error notification.

I had the same problem, and it's apparently related to the file name or file path being too long. Every DAW I have tried doesn't log anything useful while scanning the plugins. However, it's possible to make yabridge log to a file using YABRIDGE_DEBUG_FILE. More info here.

To fix the problem:

1. Go to the directory where the original VST3 plugin is in your Wine prefix. Usually it's something like:

Code: Select all

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/VST3

You can use this command to get a list of candidates:

yabridgectl list
  2. Rename the plugin from

Originals - Cinematic Frozen Strings (64 Bit).vst3

to

Originals - Cinematic Frozen Strings.vst3

Apparently the former is too long, but the latter not. :?

3. Run this to make yabridge find the "new" plugin and remove the "old" plugin.

yabridge sync --prune
akikoo

Post by akikoo »

Hi,

This winetricks add-on command fixes the non-responsive Spitfire library manager GUI:

winetricks dxvk1103

You can download winetricks from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winet ... winetricks

Best regards,

Aki

mailisa

Post by mailisa »

akikoo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:01 am

Hi,

This winetricks add-on command fixes the non-responsive Spitfire library manager GUI:

winetricks dxvk1103

You can download winetricks from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winet ... winetricks

Best regards,

Aki

Highly appreciate!

pablito1

Post by pablito1 »

akikoo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:01 am

Hi,

winetricks dxvk1103

Best regards,

Aki

Thank you, very helpful

my site online games: https://papas-games.com