[Ambient] Intergalactic Warmth (2024 Version)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mcord
Established Member

[Ambient] Intergalactic Warmth (2024 Version)

Post by mcord »

Here's an updated version of a minimalistic ambient track I made with Carla and a few plugins in 2022. Actually, that was one of the first projects I worked on while learning how to make music with FOSS tools. In hindsight, I don't find it terribly exciting: it was just a few seconds of drone with one or two LFOs modulating a few parameters in Surge XT. No wonder I soon stopped listening to it and chose to listen to Generative.fm or one of the ambient channels on Soma.fm instead.

Towards the end of the last year, I decided to port it to Bespoke, and asked myself, 'How can I strike the balance between making it more interesting and non-distracting, i.e. something that can be played in the background while studying, reading, or doing some kind of mental work?' So, I made it a bit more generative: I added a completely new layer with two versions, which play only occasionally, and also some tape saturation whose parameter changes randomly.

I don't know how 'good' it counts as (I don't have much experience with ambient and drone music), but lately I've found myself coming back to firing up Bespoke just to listen to this on a loop once in a while, so, I guess it can be called an improvement over the original. :)

You can listen to a 10+-minute-long recording on Funkwhale and SoundCloud.

(For now, I still have the original on SoundCloud here in case you're curious. I'll most probably remove it one day though.)

Enjoy!

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: [Ambient] Intergalactic Warmth (2024 Version)

Post by sysrqer »

I like it, you have some nice movement in it to keep it interesting.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

After hearing more rap tunes than usual this week, while listening to your piece, I thought,
some rapper could use this as a cool backing, so I fired up a thumpy 90bpm kit in hydrogen,
added rakarrak and a guitar, and it worked well. So the beginning need not be the middle or the end...
It's cool you enjoy your own music 8)
Cheers

mcord
Established Member

Post by mcord »

glowrak guy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:53 am

After hearing more rap tunes than usual this week, while listening to your piece, I thought,
some rapper could use this as a cool backing, so I fired up a thumpy 90bpm kit in hydrogen,
added rakarrak and a guitar, and it worked well. So the beginning need not be the middle or the end...
It's cool you enjoy your own music 8)
Cheers

About rap music: while it's not something I typically listen to, I do remember coming across some instrumental hip-hop every now and then, and I liked it pretty much every time. I'll probably do some online search to discover more. Thanks for the reminder! :D