recommended tool for high quality sample rate conversion?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

talby
Established Member

recommended tool for high quality sample rate conversion?

Post by talby »

Are there for high quality sample rate conversion (SRC) in terms of best retained audio quality better tools available than FFmpeg or SoX?
Are these functions in Ocenaudio, Audacity, Ardour, Reaper and Waveform any better or equal or worse?
Which tool would you generally recommend or reject for this task if worried about retained audio quality?
Assuming that FFmpeg and SoX might be the hot candidates, any special option flags which I should use when using these tools?

refining my amateur musicianship by reviewing my rehearsals

d.healey
Established Member

Re: recommended tool for high quality sample rate conversion?

Post by d.healey »

SoX is the way to go, it will change the sample rate without reencoding the audio.

There's also Signet which can do sample rate conversions - https://github.com/SamWindell/Signet

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
sunrat
Established Member

Re: recommended tool for high quality sample rate conversion?

Post by sunrat »

SoX is indeed the way to go. I use a for loop to batch convert a directory full of file to different sample rate or bit depth.

Code: Select all

mkdir 24bit
for i in *.flac; do sox -SG "$i" -b 24 -r 48000 24bit/"$i"; done

"-S" shows progress and info, "-G" guards against clipping. Change "*.flac" to ".wav" for wav files.
Another occasional additional option is to normalize. This one converts to 16 bit, normalizes to -1.0dB, and outputs a flac file from wav input:

Code: Select all

mkdir 16bit
for file in *.wav; do sox -SG "$file" -b 16 16bit/"$file".flac norm -1.0; done