Established Member

Re: What videogame are you playing?

Post by erlkönig »

...as i excavated my old Atari ST, i will give
https://www.eckhardkruse.net/atari_st/baller.html?en
a try.

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

Impostor wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:42 pm

After Overload: First Strike...

Hey are you talking about Overload the Descent remake? That thing is awesome. Descent is one of my top games, and even though I never played multi-player I got good enough in SP to do Insane/cold-start/no-deaths/full-rescue/all-kills on every level.

As far as native Linux games, I've played the TRON clone Armagetron Advanced for far too long, and it doesn't help my addiction that it's been in the repository of every distro I've used. The game is now on Steam as Retrocycles and it's crazy that people are still playing it after 20+ years (in fact there was a tournament today).

I'm not enough of a gamer to bother with Steam/Proton/Lutris etc, but there is a native Linux racing game named TORCS that I like to play once in a while. The only bad thing about racing games is I don't have a way to set the curve of the analog controller on my gamepad so I never can race as good as I want. If anyone knows of a utility that will help I'd love to hear it.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

bhilmers wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:48 pm

Hey are you talking about Overload the Descent remake?

Yep! https://www.overloadmaps.com/overload-first-strike

bhilmers wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:48 pm

That thing is awesome. Descent is one of my top games, and even though I never played multi-player I got good enough in SP to do Insane/cold-start/no-deaths/full-rescue/all-kills on every level.

Overload ranks among the best games I've played. Learned of its existence by pure chance. The demo immediately gave the Descent vibe, so it was an insta-purchase. Since I play it, and Descent too, keyboard only, I'm forever stuck at rookie level, and throw most upgrade points into upgrading the homing abilities :)

bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

Impostor wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:52 pm

...keyboard only, I'm forever stuck at rookie level...

You must have a reason for crippling yourself with kb only? I was kb only on Descent and was never able to make the jump from Hotshot to Ace, but once I went kb+mouse I was able to do Insane runs comfortably. HOWEVER, D2 I was only able to comfortably play at level Ace, and for some reason Overload is even harder and I play at Rookie most of the time (basically Challenge Mode only, I think I've only gone through the campaign fully once).

I haven't played in two years and just realized I lost my saved player data on my last OS install. Guess I better start over! Maybe one day I'll get on Discord and play multiplayer before the community completely collapses (if it hasn't already).

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

bhilmers wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:22 pm
Impostor wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:52 pm

...keyboard only, I'm forever stuck at rookie level...

You must have a reason for crippling yourself with kb only?

Just preference. That's how I played Descent, and Overload can be controlled in very much the same way.