Framework for audio plugins in C code

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

xos
Established Member

Re: Framework for audio plugins in C code

Post by xos »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:39 am
xos wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:54 pm

Added support for making MIDI effects and MIDI out from theVST2 plugins. And added a simple MIDI transpose example and many simpler templates if any one wants to get started with something simpler.

Thinking about adding support for making/compiling CLAP plugs using the same plug code. Have made a synthesizer in 100% C code as a CLAP plug before. Then the VST2 possibility can be used as legacy support if people want to make CLAP plugs with the framework.

Is it possible that the CLAP format is more interesting for Linux users than VST2?

Happy new year and keep up the good work.

I'm on an old Long Term Support (LTS) distro and I don't think it has Clap support yet. I don't know how often the average Linuxer updates his distro so there may or may not be more people like me... However, I think there's not much "future" in VST2 even though I personally have nothing against it. Clap on the other hand is new, fresh and -- to me -- seems to be embraced by Linux and Windows musicians already so you might want to shift your attention to it in the (near) future.

BTW, does Clap need to be compiled for Windows and Linux separately too, like VST? There's Windows VST and Linux VST you know...

Thanks!

It is the DAW that gives support to different plugin formats used by musicians, not your distro/OS. If it works are more related to how old Linux version the plug it was compiled on, not what plugin format it uses.

All plugin formats to my knowledge is platform dependent. But I have thought of making a platform independent format before. So it was a reminder ;-) (It will need some kind of byte code compiler or storing the plugs as text and a platform agnostic GUI toolkit hosted by the DAW).

The plugins almost always make direct calls to the OS. And the file header link link and load other libraries (as plugin is normal libraries with headers that are native to the platform) that are platform dependent.

It may be the case that CLAP don't have 32 bit support in the plugin format, never thought about it, but the plugs are platform dependent.

Made some updates and more examples. The framework now have support for transport info from the DAW/HOST (and MIDI out and in as mentioned before).

sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

I'm digging into VST3 now. Before I implemented CLAP wrapper for my plugin framework. And now I realize that CLAP seems to be the better VST3.

LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
xos
Established Member

Post by xos »

tavasti wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:40 am

I'm on an old Long Term Support (LTS) distro and I don't think it has Clap support yet. I don't know how often the average Linuxer updates his distro so there may or may not be more people like me...

I tend to update distro when there is no support for it anymore. So when I was using Ubuntu, it was like every 4 years, now back to debian world, so updates are something like every 2 years :-) Sure, may update applications more often, like building from source. And using commercial daws (mixbus and bitwig), so they are updated more frequently.

Yes what distro you use has nothing to do about it. Audio plugins has nothing with it.
https://youtu.be/GO_xfR64qSk?si=8P5Gl_dGOkYUFhYv

xos
Established Member

Post by xos »

sadko4u wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:30 pm

I'm digging into VST3 now. Before I implemented CLAP wrapper for my plugin framework. And now I realize that CLAP seems to be the better VST3.

It's all in C++ ?

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

xos wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:59 pm
tavasti wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:40 am

I'm on an old Long Term Support (LTS) distro and I don't think it has Clap support yet. I don't know how often the average Linuxer updates his distro so there may or may not be more people like me...

I tend to update distro when there is no support for it anymore. So when I was using Ubuntu, it was like every 4 years, now back to debian world, so updates are something like every 2 years :-) Sure, may update applications more often, like building from source. And using commercial daws (mixbus and bitwig), so they are updated more frequently.

Yes what distro you use has nothing to do about it. Audio plugins has nothing with it.
https://youtu.be/GO_xfR64qSk?si=8P5Gl_dGOkYUFhYv

You're right in theory. However, older distro's don't come w/ DAWs and such that have Clap support yet.

sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

xos wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:00 pm

It's all in C++ ?

Yes, Steinberg decided to provide COM-compatible interface. But if you reproduce virtual tables in C, there won't be too much no problem, I think.

LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
xos
Established Member

Post by xos »

If some total newbie want to try it out and make plugs in C code, I can answer all your questions.
I'm quite unaware of what newbies needs to know, but I would like to know what the questions are.