Focusrite Scarlett Gen 1 Control Panel GUI

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

burt777
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett Gen 1 Control Panel GUI

Post by burt777 »

It is with a heavy heart, i feel the need to add this to my last post, containing a few pointers to get the card working at all in Linux...

I've had a bad linux-sound-day since i posted. After some random unrelated reboot, it all stopped working. No sound... Alsa saw the card, but the "systray" applet only could use the microphone. In the 'pavucontrol'/Configuration i could not select a fullduplex profile, and i've wasted hours on it. It literally pains me to say the "solution" turned out to be plugging it into another USB port... )-:

(In my case, it went from usb3 to usb2, but i'm not diving any deeper into this than i absolutely have to, for now...!)

Tranced
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett Gen 1 Control Panel GUI

Post by Tranced »

burt777 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:42 pm

Yes! I think this is the part that i already learned (the hard way ;-> ), so i hope i can help you with some good news:

Usually the card works and is recognized right away. Check if it shows up in

Code: Select all

lsusb | grep -i scarlett

Hopefully (and this happened to me a bunch of times), it's "just" that one (or more) of the many controls is muted.
To fix this, start

Code: Select all

alsamixer

, select the Scarlett with F6. Take a minute to figure out how it works. Specifically, try to mute and unmute a channel and see what it looks like (i find it's not intuitive at all). Start a music player or whatever, and start unmuting channels/busses and turning them up.

Let's hope things are this simple for you too, obviously ymmv.
The bad news might be that these settings are sometimes lost on reboot.

(There's also "QASMixer" in the GUI... it might be ... less worse for you, but it's still pretty bad. Which is why we are all in here rooting for and applauding Geoffrey in the first place. Go Geoffrey :D )

Hey man, I've had so many problems with my computer and only just got round to fixing this thanks to your help - it was easier than I thought! Would love real drivers though! Thank you so much.

Here's a screenshot for anyone else wondering what to do: