BespokeSynth: Temporarily change time signature to 4/1

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mcord
Established Member

BespokeSynth: Temporarily change time signature to 4/1

Post by mcord »

I have a project with a 4/4 time signature in Bespoke. At one point, I would like to play a single beat and then reset the timeline and continue with 4/4. I presume this would be doable with setting the time signature to 4/1 and then back to 4/4 using the songbuilder and snapshots combo, except there's no 1 available for the bottom value in the transport module. Is there a clean way of doing the equivalent of this?

In the past, I have achieved the same in Ardour by temporarily setting the time signature to 2/4. This also seems to work in Bespoke, but then all the sequences I currently have in instances of notecanvas are played at double the tempo, so I would need to reedit them to simulate a 4/1.

Another alternative I can think of is simulating clicking on the reset button on transport with eventcanvas and songbuilder without changing the time signature, but I don't know if this would be the right way of doing it. (Sometimes I do things the hard way unnecessarily, which results in me running into weird bugs.)

erlkönig
Established Member

Re: BespokeSynth: Temporarily change time signature to 4/1

Post by erlkönig »

I don't know bespoke, but another way would be to quarter the tempo and stay in your signature..

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@mcord

I have a project with a 4/4 time signature in Bespoke. At one point, I would like to play a single beat and then reset the timeline and continue with 4/4. I presume this would be doable with setting the time signature to 4/1 and then back to 4/4 using the songbuilder and snapshots combo, except there's no 1 available for the bottom value in the transport module. Is there a clean way of doing the equivalent of this?

In standard music notation the numerator of the time signature is "beats per measure", while the denominator is the value of the note counted as a single beat. So, for your case, you would change to a 1/4 time signature for the oddball measure, and then return to 4/4. An alternative would be to make the time signature for last measure before the oddball 5/4, and then return to 4/4 on the next one.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
mcord
Established Member

Post by mcord »

I think I used the wrong title as well as the wrong description about what I wanted to do. I'm also realising I could have shown an example, so here it is: an earlier track I uploaded to open.audio (SoundCloud mirror in case you find the UI confusing). At 4:07, you can hear two special beats that stands out from the rest of the song. (I don't know what the technical term for this is.)

I made this song in Ardour, where if the tempo is set to 4/4, every four beats are grouped together to form a single bar (example screenshot from ardour.org). At one point of the song, I wanted to have one bar contain two beats only. (The example at 4:07.) I could only achieve this by adding a tempo marker of 2/4, and then adding another one that of 4/4. This is what confused me, because I thought I would need to do something similar in Bespoke as well.

And finally, I thought that having songbuilder play a scene for one or two beats would break something when the rest of the scenes are 4, 8, or 16 beats long. It turns out that the module actually resets the timeline on scene change; imagine Ardour having a command that says 'jump to the beginning of the next bar', which you could insert anywhere on the timeline.

To sum up, the solution in Bespoke is to just add a scene to the sequencer and tell it to play it for one or two beats. No need to worry about changing the tempo or the the signature.