Honeysuckers - Melt

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

erlkönig
Established Member

Honeysuckers - Melt

Post by erlkönig »

After Honeysuckers realized that they are the only band on the whole internet with a website, but no music on it, they decided to give their old songs a stage. Once upon a time, there was a band called "Wegeners Kontinentaldrift", from which current Honeysuckers derived. It was a time, where mixing consoles where real mixing consoles, tape machines really needed a tape and 4x12 Cabinets really had a physical impact on guitarists spinal disks (as long as they couldn't afford a guitar tech - which was the case for about more than 99% of all egg slicers).
This was recorded on 8-track 1/4", tracked and mixed with one of the first spirit inline 16ch consoles, but mastered on 2 tracks yesterday on linux, with lsp, x42, calf things and presswerk (ok, that's not FOSS, but damned good!).
If there is any interest, i would provide the 2track from 1994.
http://www.honeysuckers.rocks/media/aud ... t1994.flac

Melt

Loose the form, loose the shape
Leave the roots, loose my mind
Dry in the heat, hot and humid
Loose control, again and again

Dry in the heat, loose the shape
Loose control, loose my mind
Loose the form, hot and humid
Leave the roots, again and again

Loose the form, loose the shape
Leave the roots, loose my mind
Dry in the heat, hot and humid
Loose control, again and again

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Honeysuckers - Melt

Post by glowrak guy »

A few things I liked:
The mix: the instruments and vocal blends don't fight each other, excellent balance, and having
fairly busy guitars during vocals is well done and holds interest. Not easy to accomplish.

The band is tight, no lagging/rushing in casual listening.

The tonality is nice, lots of punch and crunch that remains musical.

The vocal sweeps work well with the body of the song.
What's left but the cover photo? :wink:

Cheers

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Rockin' stuff!

Good mix, great bass and guitar tones and the harmonies are super tight, slippery time signature stuff too! Lots to like!

I like the kick drum 'tone' and it's nicely audible but I'd like a bit less 'knock' and a bit more 'flump' on it...

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Had to google 'flump'. Probably need a Guitarix plugin or two, to get me some of that! :wink:

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

A very nice blend of 70's rock and prog rock, with psychedelic spices. Gives me a warm, cozy feeling.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

Thank you all for listening to that song. IIRC, there was an sm58 or so in the kick. Today, i would give it much more low end - when we recorded this, we wanted to be safe, it was monitored and mixed via my carspeakers (clarions), and i probably thought "better safe than sorry". Today i would give the mix a much wider balance and be more brave on kick, even with an sm58, and i would track the drums in a different way. I think, i went for 1 track kick+ hihat, 1 track sn, 2 tracks OH+TOMS or something like that...

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.